HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 17, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #286 of 20,386

Quote:
I'm disappointed by Head-Direct's lack of communication (and misinformation)...

1) I pay them on June 8th and get an email requesting a phone number on June 9th.
2) I don't hear back from them so I email them 5 days later on June 13th and they tell me that the HE-500 were out of stock and will be shipped today (13th).
3) I come to Head-Fi and find out that apparently the cable has been changed...so I email Head-Direct and realize they lied to me. Now they tell me "yes, shipping is delayed for changing the cable of the headphones"
4) OK...I ask them what kind of cable. They tell me "I don't know what it is like now. sorry for that."

Not sure if Head-Direct hired some bad apples recently, but this is the first time I've had a rotten experience with them (dealt with Fang and co. 3 times before).

I have yet to get mine. Same issue no tracking numbers no response and long delays in answering any emails. Bad service lately for sure

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #287 of 20,386
I apologize for shipping delay. We have shipped most orders today. We will send tracking number later today or early tomorrow. 

Here is the story:

We originally decide to change the entire cable because the 6.35mm connector plus a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter will damage most portable 3.5mm jacks (HE-500's efficiency is high enough to drive by portable). On June 15th when I went to my factory, checked the cable we originally want to change to, and not satisfied. At the same time I noticed that we actually do not have to change the cable and we can still solve the problem. I decide to keep the original cable, and only change the plugs to 3.5mm mini, and provide a 3.5mm mini with a 6.35mm adapter. It took a week to get new mini plug from our vendors. As soon as we received the plugs, we start to ship out orders.

Quote:
I'm disappointed by Head-Direct's lack of communication (and misinformation)...

1) I pay them on June 8th and get an email requesting a phone number on June 9th.
2) I don't hear back from them so I email them 5 days later on June 13th and they tell me that the HE-500 were out of stock and will be shipped today (13th).
3) I come to Head-Fi and find out that apparently the cable has been changed...so I email Head-Direct and realize they lied to me. Now they tell me "yes, shipping is delayed for changing the cable of the headphones"
4) OK...I ask them what kind of cable. They tell me "I don't know what it is like now. sorry for that."

Not sure if Head-Direct hired some bad apples recently, but this is the first time I've had a rotten experience with them (dealt with Fang and co. 3 times before).

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jun 17, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #288 of 20,386

Quote:
I apologize for shipping delay. We have shipped most orders today. We will send tracking number later today or early tomorrow. 

Here is the story:

We originally decide to change the entire cable because the 6.35mm connector plus a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter will damage most portable 3.5mm jacks (HE-500's efficiency is high enough to drive by portable). On June 15th when I went to my factory, checked the cable we originally want to change to, and not satisfied. At the same time I noticed that we actually do not have to change the cable and we can still solve the problem. I decide to keep the original cable, and only change the plugs to 3.5mm mini, and provide a 3.5mm mini with a 6.35mm adapter. It took a week to get new mini plug from our vendors. As soon as we received the plugs, we start to ship out orders.

Thanks for clearing that up Fang. Looking forward to the cans.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #289 of 20,386
It doesnt matter to me which cable he sends, my q-audio cable should arrive on monday. I am glad that I have the cable coming because I would have been a little irritated that I would have to use an adapter for a $900 can. Isnt the cable a little long to be portable?

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #290 of 20,386
A few days ago I wrote that my MPX3 Slam SE with a Tungsol 5670 driver tube and a pair of Raytheon 6SN7GTB although nice was not a great pairing with the HE-500. Well ... I am having to eat my words! At the time I said the Monarchy Audio NM24 sounded better to me using the line stage out via an RCA to 1/4" cable my warrior a couple of years ago.

I just compared them again and I find the Singlepower to have better bass impact and depth, while the Monarchy has an slightly wider soundstage with a few rows further back from the stage. Both make the HE-500 sing and considering the excellent service by Mr. Poon of Monarchy it is a much better alternative over the Singlepower. If you value the bass and punch then the Singlepower is a better alternative provided you have the unit checked out.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #291 of 20,386

Quote:
A few days ago I wrote that my MPX3 Slam SE with a Tungsol 5670 driver tube and a pair of Raytheon 6SN7GTB although nice was not a great pairing with the HE-500. Well ... I am having to eat my words! At the time I said the Monarchy Audio NM24 sounded better to me using the line stage out via an RCA to 1/4" cable my warrior a couple of years ago.

I just compared them again and I find the Singlepower to have better bass impact and depth, while the Monarchy has an slightly wider soundstage with a few rows further back from the stage. Both make the HE-500 sing and considering the excellent service by Mr. Poon of Monarchy it is a much better alternative over the Singlepower. If you value the bass and punch then the Singlepower is a better alternative provided you have the unit checked out.

How many hours did you have on the 500's when you first listened to them on the Single power? I find they change character as they burn in, which is a much longer time than the HE-6, which were fine to my ear in just a few hours. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #293 of 20,386
Re Fang's post:

So that means all new HE-500s will have 3.5" mini terminations?  
frown.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #294 of 20,386
Is there a chance for the early adopters to get one of these cables? I'm considering buying an 1/8" terminated cable to use them more effectively with my portable rig.

Quote:

Here is the story:

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #296 of 20,386

Quote:
Has anyone received thir shipping information or tracking as promised. I still have not received any information and now it is getting frustrating.

Hey Frank. I just received my info (Fedex Int'l) this morning. You should probably give them a shout.

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #297 of 20,386
I received my shipping and tracking # this morning at 7:30 west coast time. I ordered mine through head-direct on June 6.

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #299 of 20,386
Yes I've experienced similar, but Fang has tried to keep me informed. I ordered my HE-500's on the 4th of June and received my tracking number for FedEx shipping last night.

What aftermarket cable are people using on these Cans ?

I was thinking Stefan Audio Art's E- series or Double Helix .......

Have been patiently waiting, so look forward to receiving these headphones soon.

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #300 of 20,386

Quote:
Well glad some of you have your but I dont have mine and sent both emails and Pm and they dont answer . This is really frustrating.

Hope it all works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back