HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 23, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #14,911 of 20,386
  How do you find the imaging of the HM5 pads? I think they are not angled like the Focus pads?

I always think the Hifiman phones could use some more extreme angled pad to bring the sound stage forward. I am already using the angled pads, plus the crossfeed function of my Corda Classic amp to bring the sound stage forward of my head. But with most music I still have this weird sound stage feeling of having the singer/guitarist on stage in front of me, but with the drummer playing beside/behind me. I think this is because of the relatively large hifiman drivers which makes a large amount of sound behind ears.

My Sony SA3000, and the newly acquired SR325e (being on-ears) both have their drivers placed in front of ears to have the correct bass image.

I'd have to do a direct comparison listening for that.  I was listening to a few things last night that I'm familiar with, and which I think demonstrate a headphones' imaging, a things were placed in space where I expected them.  So the HM5 pads passed that test.  If I get a chance today, I'll do the same with both pads and get back to you.

My HM5 pads are slightly angled using crescent-shaped inserts cut from the thickest Creatology non-adhesive foam (website says 6 mm thick, but it's really 5 mm), and back vents made using the thinner self-adhesive foam.  I don't think I'd use thicker or double-stacked foam on the vents, but I might try thicker crescent inserts to steepen the angle.

I've got DIY pads that are angled at least as much as the FocusPads, but the sound stage is still mostly width.  Vocals are more between the ears than in front of me.  By comparison, the HE-560s excel at both staging and imaging; much more 3D.

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #14,912 of 20,386
Definitely not sounding metallic or thin on vocal (just confirming, so no offence :) )

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #14,913 of 20,386
They were driven by a Fiio Mont Blanc mostly. 

My comparison was based on the SR404 and SR313 as well as HD600s and HD650s which were lush with mids and the RS1 that I was using a lot lately.

Not trying to stir up a debate, but IMO the kids were metallic compared to the aforementioned pairs of headphones.  But maybe it was my system or my ears.

I agree totally with that the he500 is less warm sounding then the hd650... But which headphone isnt? But the grados are much brighter in my experience then the he500...but as one already said..the he500 needs power to shine...i dont know ur fiio,so i cant comment if he has enough current to drive a he500 or not, Or whether it just doesnt pair well with the he500... But with a matched amp the he500 is one of the best sounding deals in its pricerange..and not bright or thin at all..try another amp?

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #14,914 of 20,386
  I think that the HE500s have some sort of metallic sound on vocals. Can't really explain it, but it was not warm and full sounding on the vocals.

It was the only thing along with the huge weight that drove me away from those headphones. Otherwise I think they are amazon for their money.

The HE-500's have a bit of ringing/distortion in the mid range, as you can see here, http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE500.pdf
It makes them sound thick yet distant, that might be your problem. 

The HE-500 also dips a bit at 5K, causing it lose a bit of detail or presence on vocals

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #14,915 of 20,386
I think it's worth looking at the new memory foam HM5 pads for the HE-500s.  The velours are fantastic, FME (that's like IMO; For MEars :wink:  and outclass the FocusPads by a long way.  YMMV, of course, but they're about half the price of either FocusPad.  Oh, and they are very comfortable FME.

The only caveat is that you need the mounting rings, but if you have the HE-500s, you should have at least one pair of HFM pads, and probably two.  That takes care of that.

Interesting! I actually already own the new HM5 thick pads for my closed M-Audio Q40s. I'll have to try them on my HE-500s. It will be hard to beat out the Focus-As though.

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #14,916 of 20,386
They were driven by a Fiio Mont Blanc mostly. 

My comparison was based on the SR404 and SR313 as well as HD600s and HD650s which were lush with mids and the RS1 that I was using a lot lately.

Not trying to stir up a debate, but IMO the kids were metallic compared to the aforementioned pairs of headphones.  But maybe it was my system or my ears.

I have the E12 and occasionally use it to drive the HE-500, and every time I do I am amazed at how well such a small portable amp is able to deliver tons of power. I have no complaints regarding the SQ with this set up.

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #14,917 of 20,386
I have the E12 and occasionally use it to drive the HE-500, and every time I do I am amazed at how well such a small portable amp is able to deliver tons of power. I have no complaints regarding the SQ with this set up.

Agreed. When I'm not at my desktop setup, the X5/E12 combo makes the HE-500 sound extremely good.

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #14,921 of 20,386
Hello bass, where have you been all this time? 
basshead.gif
 Received my Charleston UPOCC cable in the mail today. I thought I was just quickly to demo it for half an hour... Heading for 3 hours now... I think I'm going to ceremoniously burn my old stock cable, what a piece of garbage...

Wonderful full bass, no treble etch etc, smooth sounding, love my headphones all over again... And that through the Yamaha RX-A3010 headphone output. Beware, this might be a severe case of brain burn in so take the euphoria with a solid dose of salt! I'm actually even more thrilled about the build and how well its made. Awesome work by Christopher at Charleston Cable Company!

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #14,922 of 20,386
  Hello bass, where have you been all this time? 
basshead.gif
 Received my Charleston UPOCC cable in the mail today. I thought I was just quickly to demo it for half an hour... Heading for 3 hours now... I think I'm going to ceremoniously burn my old stock cable, what a piece of garbage...

Wonderful full bass, no treble etch etc, smooth sounding, love my headphones all over again... And that through the Yamaha RX-A3010 headphone output. Beware, this might be a severe case of brain burn in so take the euphoria with a solid dose of salt! I'm actually even more thrilled about the build and how well its made. Awesome work by Christopher at Charleston Cable Company!

Congrats.  It's a good day when the stock cable gets replaced.  I've tried five different cables on the HE-500s: stock, HE-560 stock, plusSounds cryo'd Litz, my DIY using Mogami W2799 (just the wire in paracord), and stock is easily the worst.  I still prefer my DIY, but the other two are also improvements.
Trust your ears 
beerchug.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #14,923 of 20,386

Congrats.  It's a good day when the stock cable gets replaced.  I've tried five different cables on the HE-500s: stock, HE-560 stock, plusSounds cryo'd Litz, my DIY using Mogami W2799 (just the wire in paracord), and stock is easily the worst.  I still prefer my DIY, but the other two are also improvements.
Trust your ears 
beerchug.gif

Now that I've seen how straight forward they are to make, I'll definitely DIY my next one. Have to say I'm still a bit hesitant to replace the driver wires inside the headphone. I can't figure out whether they are only soldered or attached in some other way to the driver? The wires sink through holes to attach to the centre PCB edge, looks like a solder pad there. Oh well, already gained more than I've bargained on.

My wife kindly donated some stockings as well and I've done a grill mod. Check here http://www.head-fi.org/t/619447/hifiman-regrilling-mod/495#post_10988167 for images and more info. The grill mod is quite interesting, but I did find the effect more subtle than I expected. It definitely tames some treble resonances/decay, make it sound more open and to my ears smoothed out some peaks in the upper mids which I noticed with female vocals.

Btw, here is differences between the new and stock cable. Pictures doesn't really do it much justice. 

Have to say all the tweaks and upgrades were quite fun. Its one thing that keeps headphone listening more interesting compared to speakers. Everything from the focus pads, cables and grill mod combined to make a headphone that sounds really different from what I remember. Now only waiting for the headphone amp and hopefully I'm done till I'm ready to go with a balanced amp one day.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #14,924 of 20,386
Just posted a medium-length compare between the 500 and 400i if anyone is interested.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/739637/new-school-vs-old-school-a-comparison-of-the-hifiman-he400i-and-he500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back