HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 21, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #14,881 of 20,386
  Found this post
Can't solve the problem still :frowning2:

Hi,

Since I changed my specs to a pair with a much thinner frame solely for listening sessions with the He-500, I've had no more discomfort  around the ears.  Switching back to the pair with thicker frames causes ear pain as quick as half an hour. In my experience, the frame makes a huge difference to how the weight of the He-500 is perceived.  With too much of a thick frame the clamp on the sides is worst and you are constantly reminded you're wearing the Headphones. 

Old specs which cause pain above around the ears and fatigue

Thinner frame specs which cause no pain or discomfort 

For added comfort up top I use a headband cushion, quite popular and works wonders at preventing a sore skull after long wearing sessions. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #14,883 of 20,386

Yep, that's why I sold them.  Also, Senns don't fit my head.  I found them annoying to wear.  I probably would like the 600s, but I won't be buying a pair.

Yep, I didn't like the clamp on the HD-580 either, but they are well balanced and nice sounding headphones, the HE-500 has more forward mids (which I like) and of course planar bass! Most comfortable Sennheiser's I've tried were the HD700 and the HD595.

@hifimanrookie, I'd rather keep a low profile about that blue circle amp. There's a good chance a green fingered politician in the Netherlands might stumble upon this thread and decide now is a good time to start charging carbon tax on Class A amplifiers. Inefficient amplifiers that need to run 24/7 are sure to give greenies the total creepies.

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #14,884 of 20,386

Yep, I didn't like the clamp on the HD-580 either, but they are well balanced and nice sounding headphones, the HE-500 has more forward mids (which I like) and of course planar bass! Most comfortable Sennheiser's I've tried were the HD700 and the HD595.

@hifimanrookie, I'd rather keep a low profile about that blue circle amp. There's a good chance a green fingered politician in the Netherlands might stumble upon this thread and decide now is a good time to start charging carbon tax on Class A amplifiers. Inefficient amplifiers that need to run 24/7 are sure to give greenies the total creepies.

They may force Hifi to have a dreaded power switch installed.
I didn't find the HD600's to have a wicked clamping force.

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #14,885 of 20,386
Just got a couple pairs of the new HM5 pads (pleather and velour).  In preparation for some comparisons, and while I work on them, I found my FocusPads with a thick foam ring inserted for extra depth.  Slapped 'em on the HE-500s.  Much more comfortable than I remembered, and they sound good.  They really do focus the sound (no pun intended) compared to my more spacious DIY pads.  They're a little scratchy, but I'm used to microsuede.  Eventually this pair will end up getting @jerg's lastest pad mod for the HE-560s, but I'll try them on the HE-500s, too, of course 
tongue_smile.gif

PadHo out.

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #14,886 of 20,386

@hifimanrookie
, I'd rather keep a low profile about that blue circle amp. There's a good chance a green fingered politician in the Netherlands might stumble upon this thread and decide now is a good time to start charging carbon tax on Class A amplifiers. Inefficient amplifiers that need to run 24/7 are sure to give greenies the total creepies.
no worries on the tax as its not a class A amp..hehehe as its a:

and i quote (StanD will love this tech talk..hehehe) It operates in what i (gilbert) call "low-bias class AB," eschewing global feedback but having very high local feedback in the output stage, which helps account for the amp's very low output impedance. The PaG has very low noise. And thats an assertion that's easy to confirm with just a few minutes of listening. The PaG is eerily quiet (as i said already here on this thread); whatever comes before it accounts for essentially any noise you hear. Perhaps as a byproduct of this, it also has very low voltage gain, so you may have to lean on the volume control to reach a satisfying listening level. End quote

DONT ASK ME WHAT THAT MEANS..AM NO TECHIE.. :D. But my ears love what that does :p

Well that last point is no problem for me.....i play music with volume knob around 21-22:00 position...never higher with my code-x...

So in short..they wont even recognize the power signature...i only hope they dont sent the men in black to check out what is using that amount of continious electricity..... :D

So if i am pooof ..gone...then u know i am taken and locked up in a cell.....500meters below sealevel....hehehe

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #14,887 of 20,386
So in short..they wont even recognize the power signature...i only hope they dont sent the men in black to check out what is using that amount of continious electricity.....
biggrin.gif

So if i am pooof ..gone...then u know i am taken and locked up in a cell.....500meters below sealevel....hehehe

LOL.  Don't worry, we'll send in a Blue Circle Extraction Team (BCET, and don't even think about using that name for your next BC product, or the BCET will leave you there :wink:

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #14,888 of 20,386
LOL.  Don't worry, we'll send in a [COLOR=0000CD]B[/COLOR]lue [COLOR=0000CD]C[/COLOR]ircle [COLOR=0000CD]E[/COLOR]xtraction [COLOR=0000CD]T[/COLOR]eam ([COLOR=0000CD]BCET[/COLOR], and don't even think about using that name for your next [COLOR=0000CD]BC[/COLOR] product, or the [COLOR=0000CD]BCET[/COLOR] will leave you there :wink:

Hehehehe ..so u would sent a Distress call to them like this: CODE BLUE!!!! Highest priority... 'a bluecircian is in trouble..sent help to these coordinates'...end of message...
..but dont worry about using BCET. for their custom projects they always use the names of the customer in some (weird) way in the initials of the product they create. So every custom designed and built amp is unique..not only in built..but ALWAYS IN NAME.
PaG stands for: 'Paulo amp built by Gilbert'
yeah i know...weird... :D

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #14,889 of 20,386
Really liking these new HM5 velour pads on the HE-500s.  Not nearly as bright as the FocusPads, with better bass.  The old HM5 pads always produced an annoying glare on both my HFM cans.  They solved it with these.  And they're deeper and more comfortable than the FocusPads.  The HE-500s are kind of floating there.  Need to try them on the HE-560s.  And need to try the pleathers on both.

So anyone with average or large ears might want to give them a try.

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-velor-memory-foam-earpad-suitable-for-other-large-over-the-ear-headphones-1pc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bass that was pretty anemic with the FocusPads is back with a serious vengeance, and the sound overall seems more balanced.  Songs where I had to turn it down because of the mids are right on the money now.  I think I was due a good pair of pads, given how I've supported the "industry" in the last year 
wink.gif
 (read: bought way too many pads, most of which didn't make the cut).

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #14,890 of 20,386
Hehehehe ..so u would sent a Distress call to them like this: CODE BLUE!!!! Highest priority... 'a bluecircian is in trouble..sent help to these coordinates'...end of message...
..but dont worry about using BCET. for their custom projects they always use the names of the customer in some (weird) way in the initials of the product they create. So every custom designed and built amp is unique..not only in built..but ALWAYS IN NAME.
PaG stands for: 'Paulo amp built by Gilbert'
yeah i know...weird...
biggrin.gif

Dude, you know we don't discuss operational procedures in a public forum.  Get on your secure SAT phone if you want to discuss your potential extraction.

The funny thing is, BCET are my actual initials!

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #14,891 of 20,386
Dude, you know we don't discuss operational procedures in a public forum.  Get on your secure SAT phone if you want to discuss your potential extraction.

The funny thing is, BCET are my actual initials!

Oopsie..wont happen again 00500 :D
About ur initiatials...well..only thing to do now for u is contacting them asap to create u ur ultimate BCeT amp, as that cant be a coincidence :p
Hehehehehe

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #14,892 of 20,386
no worries on the tax as its not a class A amp..hehehe as its a:

and i quote (StanD will love this tech talk..hehehe) It operates in what i (gilbert) call "low-bias class AB," eschewing global feedback but having very high local feedback in the output stage, which helps account for the amp's very low output impedance. The PaG has very low noise. And thats an assertion that's easy to confirm with just a few minutes of listening. The PaG is eerily quiet (as i said already here on this thread); whatever comes before it accounts for essentially any noise you hear. Perhaps as a byproduct of this, it also has very low voltage gain, so you may have to lean on the volume control to reach a satisfying listening level. End quote

DONT ASK ME WHAT THAT MEANS..AM NO TECHIE..
biggrin.gif
. But my ears love what that does
tongue.gif

Well that last point is no problem for me.....i play music with volume knob around 21-22:00 position...never higher with my code-x...

So in short..they wont even recognize the power signature...i only hope they dont sent the men in black to check out what is using that amount of continious electricity.....
biggrin.gif

Hehe, I have a Myryad Class B only power amplifier for my home theater, quite an interesting design, but only draws 35W at idle which is quite nice so I don't feel guilty leaving it on for a while. Class B amps are supposed to sound bad, so no idea what they did with this one to make it sound good? Most expensive high end designs tend to skew towards Class A most of the time so interesting that Gilbert settled on a low biased Class AB design.

OT: Hehe, remember I always found it odd when I lived in the Netherlands that I was living 100km away from the ocean, yet only 40m above sea level and I was one of the fortunate ones living above sea level! 
biggrin.gif
 Just imagine the low noise floor you'd have in a quiet cell 500m below sea level! I would only be a good deal though if you could take your headphone rig along! 
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #14,895 of 20,386
  The 500's are going for 499 on amazon right now. Is that the best buy i'll come across or do they go for cheaper?

For new, that's a great deal.  They were selling for that price used on Head-Fi not long ago.  If you're willing to take a used, likely broken in for you pair, keep an eye on the classifieds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back