HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 4, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #14,687 of 20,374
I'm currently using HE-500 driven by Emotiva Mini M100. I can hear the very slight noise floor through the headphones, but very unnoticeable useless you listen closely. I wonder if you guys who use Mini M100 have a same problem as I do? Does it damage the headphones if I keep using it?

Been using mine for over a year with the A100, no damage to my cans at all. 

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #14,688 of 20,374
  Been using mine for over a year with the A100, no damage to my cans at all. 

+1 I've been using it for months with no issues. I can't hear any noise floor unless I turn the volume to past 1pm, which is way way too loud

Oct 4, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #14,692 of 20,374
My mini-X is imbalanced at very very low volumes too, nothing to worry about

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #14,693 of 20,374
You have to let them break in, they need to be worn a bit to be appreciated.

Thanks for the advice.  My main problem is the size of the opening.  On my head they're half on the ears.  I totally spoiled myself with the Q701 pads, and then the two pairs I made.  My ears disappear inside and I can usually forget I'm wearing cans.  Also, I've tuned them to what I want to hear from the cans they're on.  Those Shure pads get too shouty/glare-y with a lot of what I listen to, which is a pity, because they're very well-made; love the material.  It actually inspired me to seek out microsuede for my DIYs, and I'm so glad I did.

Cheers.

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #14,694 of 20,374

Thanks for the advice.  My main problem is the size of the opening.  On my head they're half on the ears.  I totally spoiled myself with the Q701 pads, and then the two pairs I made.  My ears disappear inside and I can usually forget I'm wearing cans.  Also, I've tuned them to what I want to hear from the cans they're on.  Those Shure pads get too shouty/glare-y with a lot of what I listen to, which is a pity, because they're very well-made; love the material.  It actually inspired me to seek out microsuede for my DIYs, and I'm so glad I did.

Cheers.

Gotcha.

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #14,695 of 20,374

Cheers.
\

Yes this is the big issue for me. I will seek out some AKG pads.
Many thanks.

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #14,696 of 20,374
Yes this is the big issue for me. I will seek out some AKG pads.
Many thanks.

Here are the latest contacts at the AKG/Harman parts dept.:

David.Wheeler@harman.com
818-895-3417

Hector.hernandez2@harman.com
818-920-3237

Here's the part number for the Q701 pads (K712/K702 Anniversary pads are softer, not angled, and about twice as expensive) and the price I paid about a year ago:

P/N:  2458M12020               $14.74 per pad

FedEx Ground Shipping $7.00

Prices may have changed, of course.  You can email them about availability, but may as well call if you're ready to buy, as you'll want to give them your CC info over the phone.

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #14,697 of 20,374
My mini-x has a noticeable noise floor with HE-500 and quite a lot imbalance even at moderate /higher volumes.resistors helped with that

Oct 8, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #14,699 of 20,374
Congrats Daerron! I purchased the Lake People G109S a few months ago and it goes very well with my HE500's. Be sure to burn it in for a few days before you judge its performance. I would love to hear your thoughts about this combo and how it compares with the Mini X.

Oct 8, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #14,700 of 20,374
Congrats Daerron! I purchased the Lake People G109S a few months ago and it goes very well with my HE500's. Be sure to burn it in for a few days before you judge its performance. I would love to hear your thoughts about this combo and how it compares with the Mini X.

Thanks, will definitely do so! Relieved to have finally bought something, I was starting to go a bit nuts trying to figure out what to pick, but your experiences with the G109 convinced me to pull the trigger on the V100. I wasn't entirely convinced that I was going to like the additional warmth and smoothness of the V200 and I got a good deal on the V100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back