HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 21, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #13,936 of 20,386
Right now, I have the MA900 as a warmer, more bassy headphone (still not as good as X1 for bass only, but it has good punch and awesome midrange, and it's light and very portable) and the K612 as a very neutral and reference but still musical/dynamic enough to do everything very well, from music to gaming (less overall midbass than K712 but slightly more extension, more even)
The HE-560 should be my next headphone and hopefully it'll replace the K612.

Still, K612/MA900 are my fave phones! Bought both for around $300 (MA900 slightly discounted, K612 regular price) and couldn't be happier for the money. If each retailed for $300 I'd believe it honestly. They're really, really good IMO and different enough to me yet still dear
biggrin.gif

Very nice. Oh snap, HE-560. Super expensive.

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #13,937 of 20,386
Very nice. Oh snap, HE-560. Super expensive.

Expensive, yes. But super expensive... Naw. As far as top audiophile products are priced and if it's as good as everybody says, it should be worth it :)

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #13,938 of 20,386
Expensive, yes. But super expensive... Naw. As far as top audiophile products are priced and if it's as good as everybody says, it should be worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

Suppose I'll have to agree.

Jun 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #13,939 of 20,386
I thought my HE500 were completely broken in, But I am hearing a new layer of Sub Bass I had not heard before,  Can anyone else comment on what they found there last improvement noticed with break-in

I am using a new amp as well..................I may switch back to my old amp and see if the sub bass improvement remains..............Which ever is the cause, Color me Happy about it
L3000.gif

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #13,940 of 20,386
  I thought my HE500 were completely broken in, But I am hearing a new layer of Sub Bass I had not heard before,  Can anyone else comment on what they found there last improvement noticed with break-in

I am using a new amp as well..................I may switch back to my old amp and see if the sub bass improvement remains..............Which ever is the cause, Color me Happy about it
L3000.gif

I don't know about anyone else, I came already broken in. 
cool.gif

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #13,941 of 20,386

I've had my 500's for about 4 months and as I posted before it was a shocking
experience. Stock cable is not usable, purchase another diy and still the shocking
experience. To make a long story short, I made a diy mogami cable  and the shocks
seem to have disappeared. I have continued my quest to solve the problem
because I really like the headphones. I sure wish there was a way to solve the problem
without a shielded cable. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #13,942 of 20,386
I noticed no burn in what so ever with my original HE-500 purchased new and the brand new replacement I got some months ago.
Don't believe in it either.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #13,943 of 20,386

I've had my 500's for about 4 months and as I posted before it was a shocking
experience. Stock cable is not usable, purchase another diy and still the shocking
experience. To make a long story short, I made a diy mogami cable  and the shocks
seem to have disappeared. I have continued my quest to solve the problem
because I really like the headphones. I sure wish there was a way to solve the problem
without a shielded cable. Any thoughts?
Thanks

What shocks? Why would one need a shielded cabled for the HE-500s? They are low impedance and are ususaly driven by an amp with even lower impedance.
Are you thinking about the microphonics caused by touching the cable or it rubbing upon itself? If so that's not electrical.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #13,944 of 20,386
I use the stock cable with no issues personally,  I was never a believer in Break In but headphones have allowed me to hear things that were not audible with open air speakers, There were some definite improvements over time, I am leaning to My amp as my bass improvement............It was just shocking to hear such deep bass as clearly as I do now

I have another amp on the way to audition it is supposed to be the cats meow with special ordered iron that supports a range of cans from 32 up to 600 ohms imp, it uses the Darling circuit design 3/4 tube watts.....................should be interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #13,945 of 20,386
As I remember he got physically shocked by his HE-500's due to static electricity build-up.

Well, I suggest you up the ante and get electrostats for some real shocks :)

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #13,946 of 20,386
  I use the stock cable with no issues personally,  I was never a believer in Break In but headphones have allowed me to hear things that were not audible with open air speakers, There were some definite improvements over time, I am leaning to My amp as my bass improvement............It was just shocking to hear such deep bass as clearly as I do now

I have another amp on the way to audition it is supposed to be the cats meow with special ordered iron that supports a range of cans from 32 up to 600 ohms imp, it uses the Darling circuit design 3/4 tube watts.....................should be interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Now for the challenge. Get an A/B switch and compare your amps with one set of headphones.Be very careful to exactly match the volume in both amps as to what comes out of the cans. Be prepared to be surprised.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #13,947 of 20,386
I really doubt the cable would be the cause of a electric shock. I use the stock silver one without problems (connector broke once but I glued it back). You should get you electric wiring checked.

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #13,948 of 20,386
I bought the Schiit SVS for exactly that purpose,  The amp I have now is the SE84 Special Edition, which has replaced the SE84, It was pretty easy to tell a difference with tones as far as extension goes. Sound quality was a dead lock.  The amp is opening up a bit more  (maybe it is just the tubes) what ever it is I like it

Larger amp is the special in the pics

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #13,949 of 20,386
  I bought the Schiit SVS for exactly that purpose,  The amp I have now is the SE84 Special Edition, which has replaced the SE84, It was pretty easy to tell a difference with tones as far as extension goes. Sound quality was a dead lock.  The amp is opening up a bit more  (maybe it is just the tubes) what ever it is I like it

Larger amp is the special in the pics

So are you saying that other than extension the SQ was the same "Sound quality was a dead lock?" Do you mean extended bass?

Jun 21, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #13,950 of 20,386
That's pretty much it, The builder used the same design just upgraded the iron which allowed for more extension top and bottom

The initial design used edcore iron, the special is hammond and close to double in size, with  chicago mag. Choke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back