HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 16, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #1,201 of 20,386

Quote:
These are my same experience I encountered. I went to a shop and for 3 hrs tried various cables which I had no idea what materials or brands they were and I ended up getting a silver one.

You tried different brands of cables that fit Hifiman for 3 freaking hours and you never bothered to ask what brand or material they were made out of? How did you find out you got the silver one then?

Previously you asked if the HE-500 are better than Sony headphones and I said: What? Really, your posts don't make any sense to me. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,202 of 20,386
The shop has many cables and so I kept asking to try another. Some I did notice were darker and others very bright colored. I was just hearing for a sound change. Then I asked about price well some were $90 Dollars that I liked and another was like $250 dollars haha so I did not go for the expensive ones but one that costs $120 or so.

Quote:
You tried different brands of cables that fit Hifiman for 3 freaking hours and you never bothered to ask what brand or material they were made out of? How did you find out you got the silver one then?

Previously you asked if the HE-500 are better than Sony headphones and I said: What? Really, your posts don't make any sense to me. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,203 of 20,386

Quote:
How did the copper/silver alter the sound you were hearing.  I would also like some impressions of how you think the copper alters the sound on the he500 compared to the silver cable

The new cable came in today.  It is worth the money just for the build, comfort and peace of mind -- very comparable to what Jacob at Soloz Audio (also highly recommended) did with my RS-1's and RS-2's.  Same Cardas copper litz, same/similar outer sheath.  The Furutech connecter is first rate and even the smc connectors are an upgrade over the originals -- they actually work.  Charleston Cable did a great job.

I am not going to get into a pissing contest with the non-cognocenti regarding the difference in sound quality between cables but, suffice to say, I am very happy with the cable and my HE-500's as they now stand.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #1,204 of 20,386

Quote:
How did the copper/silver alter the sound you were hearing.  I would also like some impressions of how you think the copper alters the sound on the he500 compared to the silver cable

The new cable came in today.  It is worth the money just for the build, comfort and peace of mind -- very comparable to what Jacob at Soloz Audio (also highly recommended) did with my RS-1's and RS-2's.  Same Cardas copper litz, same/similar outer sheath.  The Furutech connecter is first rate and even the smc connectors are an upgrade over the originals -- they actually work.  Charleston Cable did a great job.

I am not going to get into a pissing contest with the non-cognocenti regarding the difference in sound quality between cables but, suffice to say, I am very happy with the cable and my HE-500's.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #1,206 of 20,386

Quote:
so in your opinion which sound do you prefer, copper or silver

I strongly prefer the new cable to the OEM in terms of SQ.

EDIT:  Just to be clear, It is not just across the board silver vs copper, but also construction/geometry and component matching.  When I originally made reference to the difference in IC qualities in my main system, the cable construction was very similar, so in that case the material itself was the main variable.  HiFiMan's minimalist cable construction is quite different from my new HE-500 Cardas copper cable.  FWIW, I have used minimalist IC's in the past with great results (47 Lab) so it is not a simple either/or in terms of construction.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #1,208 of 20,386
yes.  they do very well with every genre IMO

they are "fast" enough for anything

the he500 is very balanced or I find them to be atleast.  You might find another headphone with a sound signature that complements rock better like grado or soemthing.  I find the he500 to do it well enough for my tastes though

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #1,209 of 20,386
I believe people usually refer to the he500 as one of the fastest phones around.  I listen to all genres of music and no complaints here.  They're just so natural sounding which is easily what I prefer over any type of sound for any genre of music.

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #1,210 of 20,386
Thanks for the help, you know it's really hard to pull the trigger on something that you have never heard before, and you don't even have a chance to audition it.
I must audition the HD600s, as they probably have similar sound signature.

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #1,211 of 20,386

Quote:
Thanks for the help, you know it's really hard to pull the trigger on something that you have never heard before, and you don't even have a chance to audition it.

I wouldn't say that, but that's my opinion

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #1,212 of 20,386

Quote:
You haven't answered my question, so I ask it once more. Are the HE500s good for rock? Are they fast enough?

If they are anything like HE-5, their speed borders on unreal compared to most dynamic cans. I got the impression that its pretty much a feature of ortodynamics. Will find out myself soon though once my HE-500 arrives. Metal is what I listen most of the time.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,213 of 20,386

Quote:

I am not going to get into a pissing contest with the non-cognocenti regarding the difference in sound quality between cables but, suffice to say, I am very happy with the cable and my HE-500's.

You said it already. :p

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,214 of 20,386
Todays music enjoyment has been conveyed by the HE-500 / Violectric V200 / Hegel HD10. I enjoyed it - HE-500 is a very nice headphone.

beyersmile.png

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #1,215 of 20,386

Quote:

They absolutely don't have the same sound signature.  I was just comparing the hd600 and he500 yesterday.

hd600 has the sennheiser open airy sound signature; he500 has the planar ortheodynamic sound signature. 

I enjoy both headphones.  The he500 has a bigger presence, and does everything better.  When I switch back to the 600 i'm not thinking thats it sounds bad or anything compared to the 500, it just sounds different.  For a casual listener, you cant go wrong with either headphone IMO

The he-500 will sound great with everything though; whereas the 600 shines with certain music and is just ok with others

Users who are viewing this thread

Back