HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 10, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #11,866 of 20,386
  dont worry i prefer black guitars:) so u should be safe
wink.gif

a beauty by the way..u customized it to this? wow!! impressed!

I have a black Les Paul.
You'll notice that the Strat has custom pickups, Seymor Duncan. The Bridge pickup is a Humbucker that fits in a slot for a Standard Strat pickup. The other two pickups are stacked coils that keep the Strat sound but eliminates hum. I put in a Pearl Pickguard, did some special wiring, switches and controls. But no headphone jack.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #11,867 of 20,386
i can see playing/owning a guitar is ur passion:) u sound like me when i talk about the cars i modified..lolz

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #11,869 of 20,386
  i can see playing/owning a guitar is ur passion:) u sound like me when i talk about the cars i modified..lolz

I used to have a 1985 Mustang GT and did some work on it myself. That was before they put in the EFI and over computerized the car. I actually broke the camshaft at just over 50K miles. That was an opportunity to have my mechanic put in an aftermarket camshaft and valve job which delivered more torque and another 75 HP. Of course when the clutch went, that was upgraded as well, lighter flywheel and a cable with less drag. I really enjoyed that car, even though it was expensive on tires, if you know what I mean.

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #11,870 of 20,386
  That is a sweet axe, StanD.  Nicely done.  Is the neck custom?  Either way, love the color.

Nope, not a custom neck.
I also have a 1971 Strat with a  Maple Neck and Ashe (matches the neck) Body. I modified that as well. Probably shouldn't have because in original condition it's worth ten times what I bought it for. What, I enjoyed it and still do, not unloading it.

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #11,871 of 20,386
^ please get back on the thread topic ... before I start talking about saxophone.  
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #11,872 of 20,386
  ^ please get back on the thread topic ... before I start talking about saxophone.  
biggrin.gif

Lemme guess, you've got one of Coltrane's... or Bird's 
wink.gif

Of course, if that were true, would you really be slumming it @ Head-Fi...?  I kid, mods, I kid!!

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #11,873 of 20,386

Lemme guess, you've got one of Coltrane's... or Bird's 
wink.gif

Of course, if that were true, would you really be slumming it @ Head-Fi...?  I kid, mods, I kid!!

lol.  That is indeed my dream.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #11,874 of 20,386
[@]@hifimanrookie[/@] I was more thinking that as you push the amp more and more the distortion figures rises.. And if it is 5.28 watts without significant extra distortion.. That'd be quite cool :)

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #11,875 of 20,386
Is anyone running the HE-500s through a Gungnir/Mjolnir stack? Some have said it can sound harsh, I heard the Mjolnir with an Audio GD Master 7 and fell in love, so I'm really considering going with the NFB 1.32 with Mjolnir instead of Gungnir, thoughts?

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #11,876 of 20,386
[@]@hifimanrookie[/@] I was more thinking that as you push the amp more and more the distortion figures rises.. And if it is 5.28 watts without significant extra distortion.. That'd be quite cool :)

As far i understand he didnt push it..he just upgraded the powersupply everytime he saw that the nessesary power wasnt reached until the promised minimal watts (at least 5w. Into 50ohm clean power) was reached...
At first he was planning (as agreed) to use a 3inch pipe in diametre (like his biggie pipe powersupply) for the powersupply, when he found out that maxed out at 2,something watts, he then upgraded the powersupply and in so he told me he was going to use a 4inch pipe (he always mailed me before he was gojng to change something!)as the orginal pipe wasnt big enough..when that didnt turn out as he wanted he mailed me again to say he was gojng to upgrade the POwersupply and that it would be put in a 5inch pipe..and even that didnt make it to make the nessesary poweroutput (clean!).. So he told me he was again going to use a bigger powersupply and was going to use his BCG3.1 enclosure to house it (as on my pics) as it needed additional cooling!!..but the first built didnt make it also..he didnt tell me why but i am guessing it didnt pass his meassurement test or his extreme listening test..he mailed me and said he was working one some new experiments on my amp he never used before on any amps he made and that the amp would greatly benefit from those upgrades he was trying out..thats why my amp was delayed a couple of times...and seeing the final built of powersupply now its clear he completely overhauled the first built of the powersuppy (in the BCG3.1 enclosure)..and he told me its now pushing out 5,28 watts into 50ohm..with both channels driven full..clean power whatever that could mean...and he sounded pretty pleased..lolz

.but as i said..he didnt push it..he just upgraded to bigger, heavier, more powerful and better parts..its like my amp went from a 1.1 turbo engine to a supercharged corvette ZR1 engine instead of using a bigger turbo and in so avoiding to put more pressure on the little engine because of those bigger turbos... :wink:

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #11,877 of 20,386
Even with the HE-500 price falling near $500 now, I think I will still hold on to my favorite headphone so far. I cannot find one thing bad about these headphones other than possibly the slight lack of air, but then again this contributes to their intimacy. I am satisfied with this rig and will soon be getting a pair of speakers to satisfy my desire for a different flavor :p

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #11,878 of 20,386
I used to have a 1985 Mustang GT and did some work on it myself. That was before they put in the EFI and over computerized the car. I actually broke the camshaft at just over 50K miles. That was an opportunity to have my mechanic put in an aftermarket camshaft and valve job which delivered more torque and another 75 HP. Of course when the clutch went, that was upgraded as well, lighter flywheel and a cable with less drag. I really enjoyed that car, even though it was expensive on tires, if you know what I mean.
i know what u mean..until now think i spend a fortune on rubber.. :D
But wait a second..no huge belt-driven supercharger (love that whining sound!) also?..like those big block chevy's used in the past? U dissapoint me mr.! Just kidding!!! :D
Well i never ever owned a US car..my dad though has owned a couple of various models of modified V8 mustang cobras in the past..he even let one being painted in bright orange and black..i have the car lunatism from him my mum always says .. :wink:

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #11,879 of 20,386
I'm running the HE-500 from a M-stage I just got and man, I LOVE it! I heard things in the midrange I had never heard before on familiar songs. No going back to IEMs after this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back