HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 11, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #11,896 of 20,386
  Hey guys, I recently got a he-500 and it sounds amazing so far.  However, I had originally planned to get the he-400 and an amp but then ended up blowing my budget on the he-500, no regrets.  Can anyone recommend a decent amp for the he-500 under $200? preferably around 150.
I know such a cheap amp wouldn't show the full potential of the he-500 but an amp is better than no amp.  I am aiming to get a Lyr/modi or Lyr/Bifrost or something similar in the future

Read through this thread and this one: LINK

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #11,897 of 20,386

Read through this thread and this one: LINK

Thanks, I'll check it out

How about the highly praised and im sure you've heard of.. Emotiva mini-x? I'm using it and love it, Koiloco uses it and prefers it over tons of other amps over 2x the cost, and tons of other people love it. Why not give it a shot?

I have read about the mini-x, It sounds interesting.  Which output are you using on the mini-x for the he-500?

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #11,898 of 20,386
Hey guys, I recently got a he-500 and it sounds amazing so far.  However, I had originally planned to get the he-400 and an amp but then ended up blowing my budget on the he-500, no regrets.  Can anyone recommend a decent amp for the he-500 under $200? preferably around 150.
I know such a cheap amp wouldn't show the full potential of the he-500 but an amp is better than no amp.  I am aiming to get a Lyr/modi or Lyr/Bifrost or something similar in the future

Just get the schiit magni and modi. An amp and a DAC for 200. I use that with the he500s at work. It's a really really good setup for what you pay for.

Dont believe the snobs that say it's not enough. It is enough. Not the best but it's not underpowered by any means.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #11,899 of 20,386
Thanks, I'll check it out

I have read about the mini-x, It sounds interesting.  Which output are you using on the mini-x for the he-500?
Well the only option is speaker taps. It may sound intimidating but it's not a big deal to use speaker taps at all. No worries from me.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #11,900 of 20,386
Just get the schiit magni and modi. An amp and a DAC for 200. I use that with the he500s at work. It's a really really good setup for what you pay for.

Dont believe the snobs that say it's not enough. It is enough. Not the best but it's not underpowered by any means.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

an emotiva owner is no snob...far from it... they are probably the best example of budgetminded people, they want as much as possible for the lowest budget
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #11,902 of 20,386
an emotiva owner is no snob...far from it... they are probably the best example of budgetminded people, they want as much as possible for the lowest budget :wink:  

Just wondering, what kind of equipment might make the owner be considered a snob :wink:

Hint: maybe something blue? hehe

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #11,904 of 20,386
Just wondering, what kind of equipment might make the owner be considered a snob
wink.gif

yep..i knew it!! i knew u would hint me..
wink.gif

yes they (yep u too) probably will call me a snob for sure..but i dont mind..as long i have my musical bliss they can call me any way they want 
biggrin.gif

but dont forget..i never ever received or won any money (or anything to be honest!) without working for it...and trust me when i say this..i have had years in a row that i didnt went on holiday with my family (they went without me) because of important projects that had deadlines and in meantime u guys with ur 'NON-SNOB' butts were going on holidays or having relaxed days off with ur budget amps,,,
deadhorse.gif

for me a snob is someone who can buy stuff without working one single second for it.....and then say that others are snobs because they have nice stuff also
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #11,905 of 20,386
Just wondering, what kind of equipment might make the owner be considered a snob
wink.gif

I am really messed up cuz I don't know how to classify myself.  I have the Mini-X and a Woo WA22 for my HE500.  I would just call myself...."music lover"...

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #11,906 of 20,386
wink.gif

The volume LED on the Mini-X is totally blue and is a perfect circle. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #11,908 of 20,386
 Anyone heard the HE-500 on the Project Ember? Looking for a second amp and the Ember has piqued my interest as of late...
+1 I'm also curious about this

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #11,909 of 20,386

I am really messed up cuz I don't know how to classify myself.  I have the Mini-X and a Woo WA22 for my HE500.  I would just call myself...."music lover"...

Can you tell a difference between the WA22 and the mini-X when using either with the HE-500? I mean if you were blindfolded and someone swapped back and forth between the two could you honestly tell the difference and be able to name which was being used each time?

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #11,910 of 20,386

Can you tell a difference between the WA22 and the mini-X when using either with the HE-500? I mean if you were blindfolded and someone swapped back and forth between the two could you honestly tell the difference and be able to name which was being used each time?

Fortunately yes and they are quite distinctive so it's not hard.  I am confident enough to say that I'll get 10/10 blindfolded. It will only take either a bass heavy track or a vocal track to tell the 2 amps apart easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back