HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #8,791 of 20,386
  I'd call that a guide to end up like guys like spitzer

Hehe yep, I think it's a pretty good "one size fits all" life of a head-fi'er. Some go deeper, some don't.
  LOL well said! hahahahahahaha had a good laugh reading this.

Lol glad you enjoyed it 
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #8,792 of 20,386
There sure isn't! I remember telling someone a short story of a typical budding head-fi'er. It kinda goes like this. Many don't go past past #6, less past #10, and even less to #14.

1) In search of something besides Beats and Skullcandys, dude stumbles upon Head-Fi. Mind is blown.
2) Dude lurks for a while and balks at obscene prices of gear.
3) Dude finally joins Head-Fi and ask for advice to get something decent under $300.
4) Mind is blown.
5) Dude buys something like Fiio/O2/STX/Magni
6) Mind is blown. Since this is the best dude has heard, declares himself expert and defends wallet against bigger purchases.
7) Plan fails, dude scours Amazon thanks to upgraditis.
8) Dude either gets banned from Amazon for abusing return policy, or takes first major step into the world of "audiophilia" and graduates from Amazon, never to return there for gear.
9) Mind is blown from upgrade, now this is the best he's heard. Everything else is inferior.
10) Dude repeats 6 & 7 and 9 for a while.
11) Finally after spending much $$$ and effort in finding "The One to Rule Them All" has epiphany there is no such thing, and realizes he has more questions than answers now.
12) Dude realizes naivette and futility from steps 1-10 and goes off the deep end searching for his favorite flagship products.
13) Finally tired of all the $$$ he spent on finished products that cost no more than a pair of Skullcandys, dude has epiphany of going "DIY" and gawks at awesome gear.
14) Dude goes DIY and enjoys the "journey" of Head-Fi, realizing there is no end game, but it sure is fun to create gear that is specialized to his purposes.
15) The End?

Love this! Right on :D

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #8,793 of 20,386
Oct 21, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #8,794 of 20,386
  There sure isn't! I remember telling someone a short story of a typical budding head-fi'er. It kinda goes like this. Many don't go past past #6, less past #10, and even less to #14.

1) In search of something besides Beats and Skullcandys, dude stumbles upon Head-Fi. Mind is blown.
3) Dude finally joins Head-Fi and ask for advice to get something decent under $300.
4) Mind is blown.
6) Mind is blown. Since this is the best dude has heard, declares himself expert and defends wallet against bigger purchases.
8) Dude either gets banned from Amazon for abusing return policy, or takes first major step into the world of "audiophilia" and graduates from Amazon, never to return there for gear.
9) Mind is blown from upgrade, now this is the best he's heard. Everything else is inferior.
11) Finally after spending much $$$ and effort in finding "The One to Rule Them All" has epiphany there is no such thing, and realizes he has more questions than answers now.
12) Dude realizes naivette and futility from steps 1-10 and goes off the deep end searching for his favorite flagship products.
13) Finally tired of all the $$$ he spent on finished products that cost no more than a pair of Skullcandys, dude has epiphany of going "DIY" and gawks at awesome gear.
14) Dude goes DIY and enjoys the "journey" of Head-Fi, realizing there is no end game, but it sure is fun to create gear that is specialized to his purposes.
15) The End?

Guess I'm at #12

16) Sell everything and get SR-009
17) Sell SR-009 for a speakers rig, like it was meant to be all along.

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #8,795 of 20,386
Can't figure where to get such vintage goodies at decent prices...

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #8,797 of 20,386

Guess I'm at #12

16) Sell everything and get SR-009
17) Sell SR-009 for a speakers rig, like it was meant to be all along.

LOL i like the additions, they fit somewhere in there. I guess there could be a whole host of "a,b,c" indentations and we could have a ball at fine tuning it lol.

Can't figure where to get such vintage goodies at decent prices...

AudioGon and careful selections from ebay. You can also go to some GoodWill stores around the richest part of your city, and maybe even a flea market / antique shop / estate sale.

Im somewhere in 11-13...

I was there for quite some time until I took the DIY gateway drug known as the Bottlehead Crack 
tongue_smile.gif
 I feel your pain Dubstep Girl *hug*

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #8,798 of 20,386
  LOL i like the additions, they fit somewhere in there. I guess there could be a whole host of "a,b,c" indentations and we could have a ball at fine tuning it lol.

Yea I suppose.

I'm pretty sure we're missing silver cables somewhere in there 
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #8,799 of 20,386

4) Mind is blown.
15) The End?

i´m near to the point 15

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #8,800 of 20,386

Yea I suppose.

I'm pretty sure we're missing silver cables somewhere in there 
biggrin.gif

Hehe, i think it would fit in step 10. 
wink_face.gif

i´m near to the point 15

15 is a curious one
blink.gif
. It seems like a breath of fresh air, yet saddening at the same time. I guess you could call 15 "Retirement".

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #8,801 of 20,386
  Hehe, i think it would fit in step 10.

15 is a curious one. It seems like a breath of fresh air, yet saddening at the same time. I guess you could call 15 "Retirement".

yes, i´m thinking about this situation but without sadness at all

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #8,802 of 20,386
  yes, i´m thinking about this situation but without sadness at all

Well sir, my hat goes off to you then. May step 15 be the most joyous of all for you! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #8,804 of 20,386
  yes the KA-7100 is a wonderful amp and is great with the HE-500, it's also got a fantastic phono section. I'm hoping to get a Kenwood KR-9600 That's a higher end model than my KR-7400 receiver so it might be even better :) 

Cool, I'll have to keep an eye out to try one sometime.  The KR-9050 and KR-9600 are said to be among the very best receivers of all time.

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #8,805 of 20,386
  15 is a curious one
blink.gif
. It seems like a breath of fresh air, yet saddening at the same time. I guess you could call 15 "Retirement".

Head-fi retirement is even more of a joke than retirement in professional sports. There's always a RMAF or Can Jam around the corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back