HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #8,776 of 20,386

Not to add to the noise, but above comment can be misinterpreted and that may not have been the intention.

O2 or any amp for that matter need not deliver clean 1 watt power at whatever resistance they may be asked to. They need to be clean at their stated specs. Before the orthos became mainstream 1W may have been considered more than plenty. Orthos do not yet rule the planet :)

Agreed. 1W @ 16-32ohm is already way too much for most of my low impedance headphones. It's these pesky Orthos keeping me from just using one amp for all.

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #8,778 of 20,386
  Just hooked up my Kenwood KR-7400 and these headphones are AMAZING on it! the sound stage is just incredible. The best of all my amps with the HE-500 are this KR-7400 and my KA-7100. 

Looks like the way to go for the best value high end sound quality.....

HE500 + D.I.Y / Custom Cable + Emotiva / Speaker amp

I think this will be my next step up the ladder when I have some more cash, Should be able to get the whole lot for under £800. For now I am happy with my modded HE400 + Xonar STX which cost me £300 total so I am very pleased with this setup for the money at the moment. Damn I wish I was one of these people on the forums that can afford to buy flagship headphones and try out different amps!

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #8,779 of 20,386
  Just hooked up my Kenwood KR-7400 and these headphones are AMAZING on it! the sound stage is just incredible. The best of all my amps with the HE-500 are this KR-7400 and my KA-7100. 

They do sound great out of vintage receivers in general 
biggrin.gif
 KA-7100 looks really nice...I've not heard a vintage Kenwood myself though.

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #8,780 of 20,386
^Finally figured the inevitable? :wink:

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #8,781 of 20,386
biggrin.gif

Someday, when the timing is right, I am going to build 300b tube monoblocks and try the HE-6 on them :)

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #8,782 of 20,386
  Someday, when the timing is right, I am going to build 300b tube monoblocks and try the HE-6 on them :)

There is just no end to this hobby :D

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #8,784 of 20,386

There sure isn't! I remember telling someone a short story of a typical budding head-fi'er. It kinda goes like this. Many don't go past past #6, less past #10, and even less to #14.

1) In search of something besides Beats and Skullcandys, dude stumbles upon Head-Fi. Mind is blown.
2) Dude lurks for a while and balks at obscene prices of gear.
3) Dude finally joins Head-Fi and ask for advice to get something decent under $300.
4) Mind is blown.
5) Dude buys something like Fiio/O2/STX/Magni
6) Mind is blown. Since this is the best dude has heard, declares himself expert and defends wallet against bigger purchases.
7) Plan fails, dude scours Amazon thanks to upgraditis.
8) Dude either gets banned from Amazon for abusing return policy, or takes first major step into the world of "audiophilia" and graduates from Amazon, never to return there for gear.
9) Mind is blown from upgrade, now this is the best he's heard. Everything else is inferior.
10) Dude repeats 6 & 7 and 9 for a while.
11) Finally after spending much $$$ and effort in finding "The One to Rule Them All" has epiphany there is no such thing, and realizes he has more questions than answers now.
12) Dude realizes naivette and futility from steps 1-10 and goes off the deep end searching for his favorite flagship products.
13) Finally tired of all the $$$ he spent on finished products that cost no more than a pair of Skullcandys, dude has epiphany of going "DIY" and gawks at awesome gear.
14) Dude goes DIY and enjoys the "journey" of Head-Fi, realizing there is no end game, but it sure is fun to create gear that is specialized to his purposes.
15) The End?

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #8,786 of 20,386

Nah you want some of these
very_evil_smiley.gif

+=
basshead.gif

Hehe, I heard this baby a couple weeks ago with my HE-6 and it was pretty special. I was peaking just under 10 watts! McIntosh MC-302, retails for around $7k i think

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #8,787 of 20,386
  The "God" tube 
tongue.gif
 300B push-pull monoblocks...do it!!

Yeah baby! 
beerchug.gif
  My full range horns make it a perfect excuse to do so 
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #8,788 of 20,386
^Woah peaks at 10W!! Isn't that kinda loud, lol?
Quote:

There sure isn't! I remember telling someone a short story of a typical budding head-fi'er. It kinda goes like this. Many don't go past past #6, less past #10, and even less to #14.

1) In search of something besides Beats and Skullcandys, dude stumbles upon Head-Fi. Mind is blown.
3) Dude finally joins Head-Fi and ask for advice to get something decent under $300.
4) Mind is blown.
6) Mind is blown. Since this is the best dude has heard, declares himself expert and defends wallet against bigger purchases.
8) Dude either gets banned from Amazon for abusing return policy, or takes first major step into the world of "audiophilia" and graduates from Amazon, never to return there for gear.
9) Mind is blown from upgrade, now this is the best he's heard. Everything else is inferior.
10) Dude repeats 6 & 7 for a while.
11) Finally after spending much $$$ and effort in finding "The One to Rule Them All" has epiphany there is no such thing, and realizes he has more questions than answers now.
12) Dude realizes naivette and futility from steps 1-10 and goes off the deep end searching for his favorite flagship products.
13) Finally tired of all the $$$ he spent on finished products that cost no more than a pair of Skullcandys, dude has epiphany of going "DIY" and gawks at awesome gear.
14) Dude goes DIY and enjoys the "journey" of Head-Fi, realizing there is no end game, but it sure is fun to create gear that is specialized to his purposes.
15) The End?

I'd call that a guide to end up like guys like spitzer

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #8,789 of 20,386

4) Mind is blown.
10) Dude repeats 6 & 7 for a while.
15) The End?

LOL well said! hahahahahahaha had a good laugh reading this.

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #8,790 of 20,386
biggrin.gif

yes the KA-7100 is a wonderful amp and is great with the HE-500, it's also got a fantastic phono section. I'm hoping to get a Kenwood KR-9600 That's a higher end model than my KR-7400 receiver so it might be even better :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back