HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #2,191 of 20,374
Quote:
But as i said..listen to the phones who makes u smile..thats most important thing here..no matter high end, mid end or low end..important is that it makes u feel good..
biggrin.gif

^^^^This^^^^

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #2,192 of 20,374
ok thanks hifiman rookie.Its just £700 is a lot of money and i just want it to be worth it if i buy it.  I was thinking of buying studio monitors instead since i got headphones but not sure.

Maybe a tip..i saw on the personals for sale a he5le for sale for..if i am not mistaken 400 usd..this one is more neutral then the he500..and some consider the he5le superior to the he500..check it out..maybe its something for ur taste?
And another tip...why not buy it at www.madooma.de? There they are 699 eur! So much cheaper then on ur island..and they ship all over europe.i bought mine there..excellent service..they even put the velours pads on for me before shipping as i dont like the pleather ones..and that without additional costs! As the velours improves almost everything on the he500..

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #2,193 of 20,374
Quote:
Maybe a tip..i saw on the personals for sale a he5le for sale for..if i am not mistaken 400 usd..this one is more neutral then the he500..and some consider the he5le superior to the he500..check it out..maybe its something for ur taste?
And another tip...why not buy it at www.madooma.de? There they are 699 eur! So much cheaper then on ur island..and they ship all over europe.i bought mine there..excellent service..they even put the velours pads on for me before shipping as i dont like the pleather ones..and that without additional costs! As the velours improves almost everything on the he500..

The HE-5LE scales higher than the HE-500, however, I think its frequency response is not quite as nice as the HE500's. The HE500 is still more versatile and less peaky up high.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 14, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #2,194 of 20,374
The HE-5LE scales higher than the HE-500, however, I think its frequency response is not quite as nice as the HE500's. The HE500 is still more versatile and less peaky up high.

Thats why i have a he500 and not a He5le :D but others like it. :p

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #2,195 of 20,374
Quote:
Thats why i have a he500 and not a He5le
biggrin.gif
but others like it.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Not my findings at all.  I find the 5LEs having a better overall tonal balance.  The 500s are the one IMP that have peaky highs.

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #2,196 of 20,374
Have never heard the 5LE but I don't find the 500 to be peaky

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #2,198 of 20,374
Quote:
ok thanks hifiman rookie.Its just £700 is a lot of money and i just want it to be worth it if i buy it.  I was thinking of buying studio monitors instead since i got headphones but not sure.

If you buy direct from head-direct you should pay about £450, thats all I paid and I live in Newcastle (upon tyne). Also, I used to own the K702's and did love the soundstage, but the novelty soon wears off when you hear what a headphone such as the HE500 can do in regards to definition, depth, real timbres etc. I couldn't listen to my AKG's anymore and sold them soon after. Going back after a week of listening to the hifimans the 702's sounded synthetic and grainy... And the soundstage sounded like a gimmick that you get free on cheap software to supposedly give you surround sound. The K701/2's are a truly great headphone if you don't hear anything better. Same with the 650's.   

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #2,199 of 20,374
If you buy direct from head-direct you should pay about £450, thats all I paid and I live in Newcastle (upon tyne). Also, I used to own the K702's and did love the soundstage, but the novelty soon wears off when you hear what a headphone such as the HE500 can do in regards to definition, depth, real timbres etc. I couldn't listen to my AKG's anymore and sold them soon after. Going back after a week of listening to the hifimans the 702's sounded synthetic and grainy... And the soundstage sounded like a gimmick that you get free on cheap software to supposedly give you surround sound. The K701/2's are a truly great headphone if you don't hear anything better. Same with the 650's.   

+1 i agree..the sound of the he500 is very addictive

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #2,202 of 20,374
Quote:
I just measured 29 ohms with my multimeter (DC)

Interesting, that's close to mine. A half year or more ago when people were measuring theirs they were closer to 45-50 ohms. So I wonder if the drivers are slightly different these days but we'll never know unless other people who recently got theirs measure them too.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #2,203 of 20,374
Brutal but true. We all took that route until the next reference came along. The big three of 5 years ago (AKG-701, HD-650, RS-1) are no longer reference.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #2,205 of 20,374
Quote:

£450?? didnt you pay for import duties? with import duties and shipping it should come to around £538.

I would love to pay £450 but i dont wana risk getting charged import duties :frowning2:

i used the ebay calculator and typed in the ID for the he-500 from head-direct ebay and this is what i get - 
Total customs value: £444.49
- Duty: £0.00
- VAT: £88.90
Total import duty & taxes due: £88.90
Total landed cost: £533.39

Can anyone else comment if they have made an order from head-direct that live in England and say if they had to pay import duties. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back