HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 4, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #18,271 of 20,386
Hi everyone, I got a situation. I wanted to convert my second cable to balanced, thoughtlessly cut off the jack and then with terror realized that I don't know how to determine channel polarity! Turned out it should have been done before cutting :grimacing: Is there a solution how can I determine that with 4-pin male XLR post cutting? Sorry if it has been discussed before, with this new interface I couldn't find the thread search. Thank you in advance :vulcan:

this should help you:

A multimeter is a great investment in this hobby add a temp controlled soldering iron and you can custom build cables of all kinds
Sounds like you will be good to go
Fyi
The outside of the connector at the cup is -ve and the centre pin +ve
Remember to label clearly with something that wont rub off or smudge I use shrink tube on my cables . Different colors for -ve +ve and an extra ring for left
Banana plugs would be best or at least tin the wire ends otherwise you risk a stray strand causing a short

I used this advice when I decided to run mine directly off of speaker tabs (works wonderfully)

May 10, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #18,272 of 20,386
I have a question. HD650 I have bring all that's interesting about the song forward, no effort required. Guitar starts, here it is, prominent, then piano, well, whatever else. Whereas HE500 don't do that, and you're on your own to pick what you like about the song. Is there a word for that?

May 11, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #18,275 of 20,386
I have a question. HD650 I have bring all that's interesting about the song forward, no effort required. Guitar starts, here it is, prominent, then piano, well, whatever else. Whereas HE500 don't do that, and you're on your own to pick what you like about the song. Is there a word for that?
I have never noticed any such problem with the HE-500. What property of the HE-500 do you think is lacking? FR, transient response or....?

May 12, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #18,277 of 20,386
Sorry, I can't explain it in those terms, I'm not familiar with them. It's a perk of HD650 over other headphones, not only HE500 are lacking.
I don't think that many people in this forum will agree with you, myself included.

May 12, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #18,278 of 20,386
I don' really understand what you are saying. I actually find the HE-500 one of the few planars that can get close to a well driven HD650. The HD650 has better micro detail, less compression and better tonally balanced. It's treble is still the smoothest I've found to date. I find the HE-500 to have better bass texture, slightly better extension but not as impactful but this really depends on how you run your HD650.

I would say on basic set ups and some mid range set ups I could see more people preferring the HE-500.

As you get into TOTL gear the HD650 pulls away.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #18,279 of 20,386
I don' really understand what you are saying. I actually find the HE-500 one of the few planars that can get close to a well driven HD650. The HD650 has better micro detail, less compression and better tonally balanced. It's treble is still the smoothest I've found to date. I find the HE-500 to have better bass texture, slightly better extension but not as impactful but this really depends on how you run your HD650.

I would say on basic set ups and some mid range set ups I could see more people preferring the HE-500.

As you get into TOTL gear the HD650 pulls away.
I prefer the HD600 over the HD650. I cannot agree that the HD650 pulls away from the HE500, not under any reasonable circumstances.

May 12, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #18,280 of 20,386
it's my experience owning both and trying them on TOTL gear. I just find the 650 a more resolving headphone overall. The HD600 was too shouty on the upper mids for me and even prefer my HD800 for musical enjoyment over the HD600.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #18,281 of 20,386
it's my experience owning both and trying them on TOTL gear. I just find the 650 a more resolving headphone overall. The HD600 was too shouty on the upper mids for me and even prefer my HD800 for musical enjoyment over the HD600.
We all have different preferences and lean to sound profiles that fit our tastes. Good thing there are lots of cans to pick from. I always say, pick your headphones carefully because they make the biggest difference.

May 24, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #18,282 of 20,386

Interesting. I recently got a pair of HE-500 drivers that have been transplanted into an HE-560 body, which came equipped with Alpha Pads. I didn't really like the Alpha Pads at all. They were comfy, but the complete seal on the ear side + the headphones being completely open-backed was a weird combo. It gave the sound a cave-ish quality, and made male vocals in particular sound a bit hollow. The treble was also just too harsh for my liking, which I think was emphasised by the dip in the upper midrange. Bass was great, though. Deep, linear subbass extension and no overbearing midbass presence.

After changing to HM5 Hybrid pads, I actually found them both more comfortable and better-sounding. Bass extension didn't really change but it did become slightly more impactful, the midrange sounds more natural now, the treble somehow doesn't sound as offensive, and the cave-ish quality is pretty much gone. Sounds slight more "open".

I'm gonna get some Focus Pads and Hifiman Velours soon. I'm sure the Ori and Eikon pads would work better than the Alphas, but I'm thinking velour or hybrid-style pads are the way to go.

I got the SAME(500 drivers inside 560 housing) headphone with the alpha pads. I'm actually torn between the HM5 Hybrid pads and the Focuspads. Can't really decide which one to go for. The focuspads are known for their terrible build quality and after reading your review on the hybrids, I'm actually leaning towards them.

May 24, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #18,283 of 20,386
I got the SAME(500 drivers inside 560 housing) headphone with the alpha pads. I'm actually torn between the HM5 Hybrid pads and the Focuspads. Can't really decide which one to go for. The focuspads are known for their terrible build quality and after reading your review on the hybrids, I'm actually leaning towards them.

I'm gonna try the Focus Pads at some point in the near future, but I'm definitely satisfied with the Flat HM5 Hybrids. The Hybrids will likely last longer, but there's a possibility that the Focus Pads sound better. Either will sound better than Alpha Pads. Anyway, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Flat Hybrids.

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #18,285 of 20,386
I've just come in to say that due to an upgrade to the HD800S, I've placed my mint HE500s on the "Headphones for Sale" thread. I'm placed in th EU. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back