HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 9, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #18,303 of 20,386
replacement pad recommendations if I like the velour pads on my he500s? I prefer the stock velour to the old jergpads that were made (found them too bright), so with that in mind, what would sound most similar in the treble and is better quality than these terrible pads?

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #18,305 of 20,386
replacement pad recommendations if I like the velour pads on my he500s? I prefer the stock velour to the old jergpads that were made (found them too bright), so with that in mind, what would sound most similar in the treble and is better quality than these terrible pads?
I had the same "issue". I loved the sound of the velour, not the comfort. Focus pads was not my liking so I finally sold my HE500 because of comfort (pads & weight).
I was close to buy Audeze vegan but they are a pain to find.

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #18,307 of 20,386
I will never sell my he500, they're everything I was looking for in a headphone
Agreed, I really love mine. Also, I will go to say that the Emotiva pairing with the he500's is mediocre and really is a BUDGET solution for them. I recently acquired a marantz 1060 and boy do they sound amazing from it (but still the best i've heard them has been off of my cousin's mcintosh mc2205).

So focuspads? They match what I'm looking for? like i said, I really disliked jergpads, and I have been hesitant to buy focuspads because they really resemble jergpads (so I assumed they sounded similar).

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #18,310 of 20,386
i am very curious to try them with leather brainwavz angled pads
if you ever get the chance to, pls compare them to the stock velours and lmk what you think of them!

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #18,313 of 20,386
Agreed, I really love mine. Also, I will go to say that the Emotiva pairing with the he500's is mediocre and really is a BUDGET solution for them. I recently acquired a marantz 1060 and boy do they sound amazing from it (but still the best i've heard them has been off of my cousin's mcintosh mc2205).

I was actually the first person to hook up a headphone to the Emotiva A100. It was during the time when we were all figuring out the HE-6 really needed a speaker amp to run, and a few of us were looking for budget "starter" units. A few people started hooking it up to HE-500 and a few other headphones.

It was always intended to be a budget starter unit. In its price range it beats out almost any headphone amp for the HE-6, but there's plenty of other good amps when you're willing to dish out money.

The best I've heard the HE-500 to date was out of a Schiit Rag. It's surprising how well they scale! I'd easily take a pair of HE500 over the HE560. I think the Edition X take a lot of traits from the HE500 and improve on them, if anyone is looking for an upgrade.

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #18,314 of 20,386
I was actually the first person to hook up a headphone to the Emotiva A100. It was during the time when we were all figuring out the HE-6 really needed a speaker amp to run, and a few of us were looking for budget "starter" units. A few people started hooking it up to HE-500 and a few other headphones.

It was always intended to be a budget starter unit. In its price range it beats out almost any headphone amp for the HE-6, but there's plenty of other good amps when you're willing to dish out money.

The best I've heard the HE-500 to date was out of a Schiit Rag. It's surprising how well they scale! I'd easily take a pair of HE500 over the HE560. I think the Edition X take a lot of traits from the HE500 and improve on them, if anyone is looking for an upgrade.
Yeah I understand that and just wanted to clarify that the emotiva really has a ton of gain and distorts rather quickly, so people should realize there is a lot of room for improvement. No problem with it being a budget solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back