HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 15, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #18,258 of 20,386
  Why do so many people say that they don't have enough power to run them? Why is there no objectivity in the audiophile world? It's so annoying. I can never just get clear cut answers to anything.

Ok, then NO.

Select the answer you prefer.

I had both the Magni and the Magni 2U.  Both pushed them just fine.  Want them to sound even better, get a better amp.  My Lake People G109S and Jotunheim take better command of the HE500's and really make them sing.  Hell even my Vali 2 drives them beautifully too.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #18,259 of 20,386
He-500 is power hungry always as is He-6.
My Gustard A20H is good but power amplifier or receiver can be better.
In my case the amp is Sony STR DE595 which is 17 years old.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #18,260 of 20,386
There is nothing that excess power can bring to the table. One good watt is more than enough. If anyone can define the electrical property that makes the difference, I'm all ears. This is not rocket science, it's very basic.

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #18,261 of 20,386
You do need that one watt, but one watt is enough.

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #18,262 of 20,386
You do need that one watt, but one watt is enough.

Yes, that will be extremely loud as in painful. All you need is an Amp that can deliver that cleanly, these days that is easy enough to find and very affordable.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #18,263 of 20,386
Loudness is something different from the power with enough low source impedance that defines the controllability to the voice coil which generates sound pressure.
With power less than one watt you can hear very loud sound, which is proportion to the average of the power, which is again not primarily connected to the controllability for the voice coil, which is directly related to the sound quality.
This is the reason why headfier with He-6 wants to search the high power amp, even though He-6 or 500 sounds loud enough with ordinary headphone amp like gustard h10.

Some headfier said the power ( loudness) is different from gain. but that statement is not very relevant however he /she tries to differentiate the quality and quantity.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #18,264 of 20,386
  Loudness is something different from the power with enough low source impedance that defines the controllability to the voice coil which generates sound pressure.
With power less than one watt you can hear very loud sound, which is proportion to the average of the power, which is again not primarily connected to the controllability for the voice coil, which is directly related to the sound quality.
This is the reason why headfier with He-6 wants to search the high power amp, even though He-6 or 500 sounds loud enough with ordinary headphone amp like gustard h10.

Some headfier said the power ( loudness) is different from gain. but that statement is not very relevant however he /she tries to differentiate the quality and quantity.

Controllability of the voice coil has to do with damping and is related to the ratio of headphone impedance vs. Amp output impedance. The HE500 is a planar, it has no voice coil and is resistive not reactive so this does not apply.
Mechanical damping has nothing to do with amping.
Power, loudness and gain are 3 different things.
The HE-6 requires more power than the HE500 for the same loudness because is it less sensitive/efficient than the HE500. There are implications as to headroom and max volume/loudness. For most headphones (almost all) 1 clean Watt is enough or more than enough.
Quality is a different thing altogether, distortion, noise (amp only), DR and so on come into play for quality.

May 1, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #18,267 of 20,386
Question on pad rolling:
I tried stock pleathers (free), stock velours ($10), velpads($15), focus pads($40) and decided that i liked stock velours the best in terms of sound. They put more space between ear and driver compared to others, and that seems to make a difference.

Did anyone compare the stock velours to ZMF Ori pads or Brainwavz sheepskin?
I like the feel of these sheepskin pads and if they offer similar sound of velours, then its a win on both comfort and sound.

May 3, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #18,268 of 20,386
Hi everyone, I got a situation. I wanted to convert my second cable to balanced, thoughtlessly cut off the jack and then with terror realized that I don't know how to determine channel polarity! Turned out it should have been done before cutting :grimacing: Is there a solution how can I determine that with 4-pin male XLR post cutting? Sorry if it has been discussed before, with this new interface I couldn't find the thread search. Thank you in advance :vulcan:

May 3, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #18,269 of 20,386
Question on pad rolling:
I tried stock pleathers (free), stock velours ($10), velpads($15), focus pads($40) and decided that i liked stock velours the best in terms of sound. They put more space between ear and driver compared to others, and that seems to make a difference.

Did anyone compare the stock velours to ZMF Ori pads or Brainwavz sheepskin?
I like the feel of these sheepskin pads and if they offer similar sound of velours, then its a win on both comfort and sound.

Well from the others thread talking about Hifiman and pads replacement, someone says recently that their awesome. Really good balance between bass/mids/high. For him focus pads where mid focus.

Indeed it on Zmf Ori pads are on my todo list :wink:

Hi everyone, I got a situation. I wanted to convert my second cable to balanced, thoughtlessly cut off the jack and then with terror realized that I don't know how to determine channel polarity! Turned out it should have been done before cutting :grimacing: Is there a solution how can I determine that with 4-pin male XLR post cutting? Sorry if it has been discussed before, with this new interface I couldn't find the thread search. Thank you in advance :vulcan:

For my part, I only see a multimeter

May 3, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #18,270 of 20,386
For my part, I only see a multimeter

Yes I have one, and knew it should be used, but I'm not sure about the actual procedure. Could you please elaborate? Or perhaps advise where I can see the instruction? I searched high and low, but to no avail :frowning2: Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back