HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 4, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #17,746 of 20,386
"the HE-500 while unique in presentation, is extremely similar sounding to a T1 when you use velours. the T1 just being a little lighter in sound, and being faster, more extended bass, slightly warm mids (both have very similar mids though, very neutral and uncolored)., with better soundstage/imaging and detail. ultimately the HE-500 is a more forgiving, gets you 90% of the performance of the T1 kinda headphone. "

Anyone who have owned both headphones, is the above common hold any truth to it?
I'm considering the T1 as my next purchase.

May 4, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #17,747 of 20,386
  "the HE-500 while unique in presentation, is extremely similar sounding to a T1 when you use velours. the T1 just being a little lighter in sound, and being faster, more extended bass, slightly warm mids (both have very similar mids though, very neutral and uncolored)., with better soundstage/imaging and detail. ultimately the HE-500 is a more forgiving, gets you 90% of the performance of the T1 kinda headphone. "

Anyone who have owned both headphones, is the above common hold any truth to it?

One's semi open and one's sound changes when you put your hands within 2 feet of the ear cups. Seems like a dubious comparison to me. However, frequency response wise, they follow a similar "quite flat with a 10kHz spike" response:

However, the T1's spike is much more significant.

May 4, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #17,748 of 20,386

HE-500 is not extremely similar sounding to T1, IMHO. Between those two I would definitely choose HE-500 for pure listening pleasure. 

May 4, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #17,749 of 20,386
  It has been "on" for two weeks day and night (at least 300 hrs). Aftermarket cables? No, but I don't think so 
rolleyes.gif
 In what way is the stock cable garbage? It is a little bit stiff but really nice anyway. 

Well, it should be burned in by now. Unless you heard on a different system, the only other options are production variation or perhaps your tastes have just changed. FWIW, HiFiMan doesn't have the most consistent production in the world, historically speaking.

I'll shut up with my cable evangelism. 

May 4, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #17,751 of 20,386

Are they both worth owning? I'm wondering if I'll end up selling one of them or keeping both.

Yes, I think they both worth owning. I found HE-560 has less weight and more comfortable then HE-500. On the other hand, HE-500 has weighty sound than HE-560. It also depends on what kind of music you listen to. To me I like the  HE-500 better.

May 4, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #17,753 of 20,386

I'm not sure where that quote is coming from but I'm pretty dumbfounded by it. The T1's have more extended bass and more midrange, but they also have more treble? FR is all about balance, e.g. if you have more bass and more treble the balance is the midrange is withdrawn. This impression is all over, and tbh I disagree with most of the statements. 

1. Neutral? The T1? If you see anyone say T1 and neutral it should be a red flag on how critical of a listener they are. 

2.The HE500 has a very flat bass response down to like 30Hz, where it begins to roll off. The T1 definitely has a relative roll off as it dips down. I would say the HE500 has better bass extension and control. The T1 will net you much more bass quantity, but that's due to the fact that it's a mostly closed headphone. Definitely not extension.

3. The T1 also has a very extended treble. The reverb off the back of the cup is very noticeable when listening. Between those two the T1's midrange sounds recessed. (i.e. not 'neutral', see above).

If you're just getting into the hobby and you want to get a pair of "high end" headphones that seem like a bargain, the T1s will definitely seem like a good fit. Plenty of people like them. But there was a reason why it was flushed out at the $500 price point when other headphones like the Hifiman HE6 and Senn HD800 stayed at the $1000 point. 

It seconds my experience with HE560 too. I do understand that some people who like that kind of tonal balance rave about it. For me they are "technically" on pair with HE-500. With the difference that HE-500 is an enjoyable headphone to listen to. I have had my HE560 for a couple of weeks and still haven't adjusted to the sound signature. I usually don't have any problems with brighter headphones. I love T90 for example. With HE560, there is something weird.
I wonder whether they did something with this model after putting the 2,5 mm plugs on it. I am quite sure HE560 sounded different one year ago. It's maybe just my imagination :)   

I definitely agree and really like the HE560 for a few reasons (comfort especially). I think it had a great slightly dark tonal balance as well, but when music hit the 5kHz spike on those it became really irritating. It reminded me a lot of the HE5LE.

May 5, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #17,755 of 20,386

Audeze LCD-2 is for sale $700 @

http://www.adorama.com/AULCD2LATC.html?emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

Would it be a upgrade to the He500, if so how much of a upgrade would it be?

Thanks

Only you, on your own, can decide that. For me they wouldn't be an upgrade. They're more like a sidegrade to my ears.

May 5, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #17,757 of 20,386

Audeze LCD-2 is for sale $700 @

http://www.adorama.com/AULCD2LATC.html?emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

Would it be a upgrade to the He500, if so how much of a upgrade would it be?

Thanks

They're special cans.

May 5, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #17,759 of 20,386
If you don't have much interest in treble brightness, the LCD-2.2 is the ticket. The only advantage the HE-500 has there is the bass is considerably faster, if a fair bit less in quantity and depth.

If you do have interest in treble brightness, the LCD-2.2 might be a little too syrupy for your tastes. The treble is there and it does extend, it just plays second fiddle to the bass and mids.

The HE-500 is completely even throughout, with a slight stab at 10kHz. There's much more happening with the HE-500 past the 5kHz mark. Mids are fantastic in either case, but the LCD-2.2's are legendary. We're talking the difference between a 10/10 and a 11/10. Bass-wise, my ridiculous example is that its the difference between swinging a sledgehammer vs swinging a crowbar. Slower swing, larger impact with the sledgehammer, quicker and more accurate swing with the crowbar. You're going to leave a hole in the wall regardless.

So there. It all depends on what you value in a headphone. I'm sure the HD700 crowd would loathe the LCD-2.2. But the HD700 crowd are probably also into bondage and masochism, spiked leather, cutting themselves and the like. I mean, if you take a 6kHz spike in your ear and go "well, this is for me!"....

I'm anxiously waiting for the HE-560 to arrive, and to see what I hold onto and what I don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back