HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 3, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #17,731 of 20,386
  Better detail retrieval/clarity.

The 500 is a little soft in comparison with boomier bass.

But softer/boomier doesn't automatically equal less enjoyable, so I don't intend that as a criticism.  

Yes, I agree that the sound of HE560 could be perceived as more detailed and HE500 as "softer" compared to HE560. Prolonged listening creates other different picture IMHO. But it is almost like the difference between HD600 and HD650. I wouldn't call any of them technically superior to the other one though :) 

May 3, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #17,732 of 20,386
Ok. I sometimes drive my HE-560 and my HE-500 from the loudspeaker taps of my amplifier so they definitely get enough power. The difference is not that large compared to driving them through my MF X-Can (1 Watt into 32 Ohm). The sound signature of the HE-560 doesn't change significantly anyway.

Funny, I didn't say a word about power.

Quality of components is what I was describing, they are stunning off of a Nelson pass designed amp.

May 3, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #17,734 of 20,386
  Better detail retrieval/clarity.

The 500 is a little soft in comparison with boomier bass.

But softer/boomier doesn't automatically equal less enjoyable, so I don't intend that as a criticism.  

Agreed. Especially in regard to detail retrieval. Though you may not be able to hear the faint ambient echo of instruments reverberating off the walls of the concert hall, etc., the HE500 certainly does bring it's own brand of "immersive" to the table. Running the HE500 off the best-of-the-best, it makes a pretty convincing argument for the value of the traditional "high fidelity" sound over "reference-grade" audio. It's cool that more and more headphones are trying to bridge that gap now (Abyss, Omni, LCD-4 and HEK to name a few), but the HE500 still stands quite tall when it comes to pure enjoyment factor.

May 3, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #17,735 of 20,386

Agreed. Especially in regard to detail retrieval. Though you may not be able to hear the faint ambient echo of instruments reverberating off the walls of the concert hall, etc., the HE500 certainly does bring it's own brand of "immersive" to the table. Running the HE500 off the best-of-the-best, it makes a pretty convincing argument for the value of the traditional "high fidelity" sound over "reference-grade" audio. It's cool that more and more headphones are trying to bridge that gap now (Abyss, Omni, LCD-4 and HEK to name a few), but the HE500 still stands quite tall when it comes to pure enjoyment factor.

Absolutely.

The HEK nails it, in my opinion.  That would be my headphone if not for the ridiculous price tag.

May 3, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #17,736 of 20,386
No, you didn't mention power but you did mention your HE-6 rig so I thought you were talking about your J2 amp (25 Watt/channel)  :) 
That is @ 8ohms.

Don't get me wrong I love the HE500, I have had mine since 2012.

When I first bought the 560 I threw it aside and thought it was not close to the HE 6/500, but lately it has been on my head a ton, I am really starting to appreciate it more. I have done three mods to it, brainwavz hybrid pads , a bit of sorbothane that I patterned to fit under the metal ring and the grill mod. All slight improvements, but improvements non the less . When going back to the 500 after having the 560 on my head, I honestly have to say I prefer the 560 at this point.

May 3, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #17,737 of 20,386
Have a look at some of the Audio-gd range. I use mine with an SA-31 (upgraded to SE specification).

Thanks, I have been looking at the Audio-gd range, more in the mid/lower end of their product line (NFB10.33, NFB29H, NFB-11), but also looking at some Geek Pulse.

I am getting extremely confused on Geek Pulse X vs. Geek Pulse X Infinity (is there a difference?), and trying to find their output stats.

I am not sure if the Geek can really handle the HE500, or the HE6 I dream of owning one day.

May 3, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #17,738 of 20,386
  Anyone in this thread who owns both HE-500 and HE-560 and prefers HE-500. I have both and I am definitely using mu HE-500 more. It has this smooth, rich, full-bodied and addictive sound. It is really perfect as a allround headphone. 

Yup. Had the HE560 and I was hoping it would land somewhere in between the HE500 and HE6 in terms of SQ. I was overall disappointed with it. Weird tonal balance and the treble was very irritating. Compared to the HE-6 I'd put it more or less on par with the HE500. 

I recently got some new amplifiers and I'm very impressed with how well the HE500 has scaled. I wasn't expecting it to scale so well. Also Hifiman Focus-A pads are a great addition to the HE500. 

May 4, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #17,739 of 20,386

Yup. Had the HE560 and I was hoping it would land somewhere in between the HE500 and HE6 in terms of SQ. I was overall disappointed with it. Weird tonal balance and the treble was very irritating. Compared to the HE-6 I'd put it more or less on par with the HE500. 

I recently got some new amplifiers and I'm very impressed with how well the HE500 has scaled. I wasn't expecting it to scale so well. Also Hifiman Focus-A pads are a great addition to the HE500. 

It seconds my experience with HE560 too. I do understand that some people who like that kind of tonal balance rave about it. For me they are "technically" on pair with HE-500. With the difference that HE-500 is an enjoyable headphone to listen to. I have had my HE560 for a couple of weeks and still haven't adjusted to the sound signature. I usually don't have any problems with brighter headphones. I love T90 for example. With HE560, there is something weird.
I wonder whether they did something with this model after putting the 2,5 mm plugs on it. I am quite sure HE560 sounded different one year ago. It's maybe just my imagination :)   

May 4, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #17,740 of 20,386
It seconds my experience with HE560 too. I do understand that some people who like that kind of tonal balance rave about it. For me they are "technically" on pair with HE-500. With the difference that HE-500 is an enjoyable headphone to listen to. I have had my HE560 for a couple of weeks and still haven't adjusted to the sound signature. I usually don't have any problems with brighter headphones. I love T90 for example. With HE560, there is something weird.
I wonder whether they did something with this model after putting the 2,5 mm plugs on it. I am quite sure HE560 sounded different one year ago. It's maybe just my imagination :)   

The stock cable is hot garbage. Perhaps you heard one with an aftermarket cable a year ago? I'm guessing it's either that, or it's not burned in yet. You mentioned you've only had it for a couple of weeks.

Just a couple of guesses.

May 4, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #17,741 of 20,386
The stock cable is hot garbage. Perhaps you heard one with an aftermarket cable a year ago? I'm guessing it's either that, or it's not burned in yet. You mentioned you've only had it for a couple of weeks.

Just a couple of guesses.

It has been "on" for two weeks day and night (at least 300 hrs). Aftermarket cables? No, but I don't think so 
rolleyes.gif
 In what way is the stock cable garbage? It is a little bit stiff but really nice anyway. 

May 4, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #17,744 of 20,386
  Anyone in this thread who owns both HE-500 and HE-560 and prefers HE-500. I have both and I am definitely using mu HE-500 more. It has this smooth, rich, full-bodied and addictive sound. It is really perfect as a allround headphone. 

I own both and I prefer HE-500 more than HE 560. I found the HE-500 more analog to the HE 560.

May 4, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #17,745 of 20,386

I own both and I prefer HE-500 more than HE 560. I found the HE-500 more analog to the HE 560.

Are they both worth owning? I'm wondering if I'll end up selling one of them or keeping both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back