HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 23, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #17,701 of 20,386
The common misconception is that it needs a lot of current because the sensitivity is so low. In reality, it is precisely the opposite. The sensitivity is set so low because it needs a lot of current to do what it does. If the sensitivity were any higher, you'd have to damage your hearing to get the headphone to perform properly. Occasionally, I wish it was even lower. The design is pretty unique, yes, but once you hear one at it's full potential, it makes a heck of a lot more sense.

This is the single best explanation I have heard so far describing the HE6 and whats more it makes perfect sense.  I may have to keep a sharp eye out for a used one now myself 
angry_face.gif

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #17,702 of 20,386
Wild how HiFiMAN would sell themselves short like that.

How's that? It's not as if the HDVD800 is the best amp for the HD800, either. It's a business. These manufacturers make products at price points they think consumers are willing to pay. It is a business decision.

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #17,703 of 20,386
How's that? It's not as if the HDVD800 is the best amp for the HD800, either. It's a business. These manufacturers make products at price points they think consumers are willing to pay. It is a business decision.
It's not a matter of offering something that isn't the best - people have said HiFiMAN's amp is downright bad for the HE-6.

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #17,704 of 20,386
It's not a matter of offering something that isn't the best - people have said HiFiMAN's amp is downright bad for the HE-6.

It's not so much "downright bad" as "downright meh". For the price, you could grab yourself a decent used speaker amp off of eBay that will really make it shine, in comparison.

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #17,705 of 20,386

It's not so much "downright bad" as "downright meh". For the price, you could grab yourself a decent used speaker amp off of eBay that will really make it shine, in comparison.

I agree with Hansotek here. It's just okay and doesn't really pull enough power to show off the HE-6. FWIW I have found this to be true of any "headphone" company that offers an amplifier:

Beyerdynamic,
Sennheiser, 

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #17,706 of 20,386
I agree with Hansotek here. It's just okay and doesn't really pull enough power to show off the HE-6. FWIW I have found this to be true of any "headphone" company that offers an amplifier:

Beyerdynamic,
Sennheiser, 

Agreed. It's pretty rare. I can think of a couple exceptions. Stax has made a few good amps over the years. Campfire/ALO makes good IEMs and amps. And a couple of headphone companies have utilized partnerships fairly well, such as Audeze with their King amp.... and ZMF's new Sonnare is shaping up pretty well too. Other than that, it's a pretty slim group.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #17,709 of 20,386

I've ordered these before but couldn't get the Hifiman clips to fit inside them. They are more of an oval shape and a different diameter. I've seen others have had success, though. I'm finding I'm not at all mechanically inclined (I suck at trying mods as much as I try), so you might be able to reshape the round insert to fit these (I think those that made these fit cut down on the diameter).

I finally got the audeze vegan pads and will compare them to the Hifinan Focus Pads-A which I've been using for a year or so.

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #17,710 of 20,386

I would try to find a Parasound HCA -3500. 350W at @  8ohms, should be able to drive almost anything :wink: -maybe even a small electric car hahaha (this is a joke! - I am sure almost all electric cars are DC powered) 

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #17,711 of 20,386
I would try to find a Parasound HCA -3500. 350W at @  8ohms, should be able to drive almost anything :wink: -maybe even a small electric car hahaha (this is a joke! - I am sure almost all electric cars are DC powered) 

Maybe just a pinch excessive, lol!

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #17,712 of 20,386
I have a bass mono block power amplifier that pushes 1200W into 2 ohms. Do you guys think that's enough power, or should I get one per channel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back