HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 8, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #16,051 of 20,386
Hmm that HA-2 looks interesting. Meier is pretty respected, but that amp looks like an old model. I am not sure if that matters; in fact, it may be a good thing.

If going the Schiit route, I have heard great things about Magni 2 Uber. But why not the Vali?

I use the Vali with my 500s and think it's a fantastic combination.

Paired with the modi 2U.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #16,052 of 20,386
I had bought the HE-500 (used like new), then traded it away toward some vintage Grados, then missed it, then bought another pair (used like new), then sold it as part of paring down my collection from 45 to about 33 pairs.

I miss it.  In particular, I miss the fact that it was the only full-sized headphone that provided both subbass so strong that you could feel it AND clear, airy treble (as well as everything great in between)

So I went to my local audio store, which stocks the HiFiMAN line, and listened with my short music segments that look for palpable bass, transparent highs, and good soundstage.

I listened to the HE-500, the HE-560, and the HE-400i.  Here is what I concluded:

1. HE-500:  Strongest of the three in subbass, just as I was looking for;  however, side-by-side with the HE-560, it did not have nearly as large a sound stage, and the treble was less airy
  2. HE-560:  Slightly weaker in the subbass than the HE-500, but overall better listening experience due to better soundstage and somewhat airy-er trebles.  Also costs nearly twice as much ($899 vs. $499).
  3. HE-400i:  Shares the larger soundstage and slightly airy-er trebles with the HE-560 over that of the HE-500, but MUCH weaker in the subbass, so much so that it sounded similar to the Grados that I have (known for modest bass but sparkling treble clarity).

For the moment, this has kept me from getting my THIRD pair of HE-500s.  I particularly am going to listen more to my Sennheiser HD 800 with HDVD 800 DAC/amp, which has stronger subbass than my Grados, but not as much, I don't think, as the HE-500s. 

The HE-560s were quite similar to my memory of my HD 800s (didn't have them with me in the store, of course!).  Both the HE-560s and the HE-400is were more comfortable than the HE-500 (lighter, softer earpads, better headband), and both had "normal" cables, covered with black knit cloth, rather than the twisted pair of silver wires of the HE-500.

A quick listen to my HD 800 as I reread this confirms that its subbass does have some degree of palpable strength, perhaps in line with the HE-560, though not as much as the HE-500.  However, it also has the superlative soundstage and upper clarity for which it is known.

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #16,053 of 20,386
  I had bought the HE-500 (used like new), then traded it away toward some vintage Grados, then missed it, then bought another pair (used like new), then sold it as part of paring down my collection from 45 to about 33 pairs.

I miss it.  In particular, I miss the fact that it was the only full-sized headphone that provided both subbass so strong that you could feel it AND clear, airy treble (as well as everything great in between)

So I went to my local audio store, which stocks the HiFiMAN line, and listened with my short music segments that look for palpable bass, transparent highs, and good soundstage.

I listened to the HE-500, the HE-560, and the HE-400i.  Here is what I concluded:

1. HE-500:  Strongest of the three in subbass, just as I was looking for;  however, side-by-side with the HE-560, it did not have nearly as large a sound stage, and the treble was less airy
  2. HE-560:  Slightly weaker in the subbass than the HE-500, but overall better listening experience due to better soundstage and somewhat airy-er trebles.  Also costs nearly twice as much ($899 vs. $499).
  3. HE-400i:  Shares the larger soundstage and slightly airy-er trebles with the HE-560 over that of the HE-500, but MUCH weaker in the subbass, so much so that it sounded similar to the Grados that I have (known for modest bass but sparkling treble clarity).

For the moment, this has kept me from getting my THIRD pair of HE-500s.  I particularly am going to listen more to my Sennheiser HD 800 with HDVD 800 DAC/amp, which has stronger subbass than my Grados, but not as much, I don't think, as the HE-500s. 

The HE-560s were quite similar to my memory of my HD 800s (didn't have them with me in the store, of course!).  Both the HE-560s and the HE-400is were more comfortable than the HE-500 (lighter, softer earpads, better headband), and both had "normal" cables, covered with black knit cloth, rather than the twisted pair of silver wires of the HE-500.

A quick listen to my HD 800 as I reread this confirms that its subbass does have some degree of palpable strength, perhaps in line with the HE-560, though not as much as the HE-500.  However, it also has the superlative soundstage and upper clarity for which it is known.

Pad-rolling on the 500s, of course, will help increase soundstage and comfort.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #16,055 of 20,386
Haha you probably mean hifimanrookie? He was using a Dark Voice 337 with upgraded components, which is a sister to the LF339.

To be clear, I hardly expect this to be the best pairing. Since HE-500 is already slightly warm, I am expecting the 339 to be almost too warm of a pairing. I so think you were correct when insisting that solid state (or a hybrid with a neutralish signature) would work best. If anything, I would be curious how my dad's more neutral, slightly brighter HE-560, would pair with the tubes.

There are some in the 339 thread who do think its a great pairing, but I shall remain agnostic until I can actually try out with the proper tube setup . As I said, this amp is for my Senns and possibly a future Beyer set in the future.

For HE-500, the pairings that first come to mind from a mid/price range would be something like Lake People G109, Meier Classic/Jazz, Audio-GD NFB-29/28, Lyr, Project Ember, possibly Mjolnir, Asgard 2, and so on. The new amp that is getting a lot of praise for driving planars with authority is the Gustard H10, which I just received from Massdrop and is a sort of clone of the Violectric 200. I am not at all expecting to prefer the LF 339 to this hitherto outstanding pairing (that is, with the H10).

Yea! hifimanrookie. WAIT. If you say his name three times he come back NO ONE SAY IT.

On another note, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of the H10 and 339. I had my eye on the H10 for awhile, but I was a bit disappointed in the Gustard U12.

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #16,056 of 20,386

Yea! hifimanrookie. WAIT. If you say his name three times he come back NO ONE SAY IT.

On another note, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of the H10 and 339. I had my eye on the H10 for awhile, but I was a bit disappointed in the Gustard U12.

I think he's he's lost somewhere in the constellation Orion.

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #16,057 of 20,386
I so glad the I bought the Focus Pad's the velour pads hurt-ed my ears so bad and made them itch. Just wish it was easier to install the pads on, instead of trying to get a earpad on a notch that i couldn't see.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #16,058 of 20,386
Out of curiosity I decided to connect my HE500's to my portable FiiO E12a.  It was set to HI gain & Bass Boost ON and the HE500's sounded incredibly good with truly outstanding sub-bass.  There seemed to be plenty of power even with the volume knob turned only slightly past half.  A pleasant surprise this experiment turned out to be.  Anyone else try this?  Love to hear your thoughts.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #16,059 of 20,386
  Out of curiosity I decided to connect my HE500's to my portable FiiO E12a.  It was set to HI gain & Bass Boost ON and the HE500's sounded incredibly good with truly outstanding sub-bass.  There seemed to be plenty of power even with the volume knob turned only slightly past half.  A pleasant surprise this experiment turned out to be.  Anyone else try this?  Love to hear your thoughts.

I have run my HE-500s with the FiiO E12, using Bass Boost On and High gain.  This is the E12, not E12a (don't know the differences).  I was very pleased with the power, bass, and portability.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #16,060 of 20,386
  I have run my HE-500s with the FiiO E12, using Bass Boost On and High gain.  This is the E12, not E12a (don't know the differences).  I was very pleased with the power, bass, and portability.

The E12 is rated to 300 ohm if I'm not mistaken, whereas the E12a only to 150 ohm.  So I suspect the HE500's should sound quite good with the E12.  The E12a apparently is a much quieter and more refined sounding amp that is aimed at IEM users, however they sound very very good with full sized headphones as well, especially with my HE500's.  Heck they even drive my 300 ohm HD650's reasonably well.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #16,061 of 20,386
@hifimanrookie
@hifimanrookie
@hifimanrookie 

*knock knock* 
biggrin.gif

Also keen to hear if anyone has impressions of the Gustard H10 with the HE-500. The V100 has quite an honest ruthless way with my brighter (and poorer) recordings. If the H10 is smoother in the highs (like the V200 is described) it should make for a great pairing with the HE-500.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #16,062 of 20,386
  @hifimanrookie
@hifimanrookie
@hifimanrookie 

*knock knock* 
biggrin.gif

Also keen to hear if anyone has impressions of the Gustard H10 with the HE-500. The V100 has quite an honest ruthless way with my brighter (and poorer) recordings. If the H10 is smoother in the highs (like the V200 is described) it should make for a great pairing with the HE-500.

Get ready and charge up all of your capacitors.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #16,063 of 20,386
@hifimanrookie

@hifimanrookie

@hifimanrookie

*knock knock* :D

Who is there???:wink:

Sorry guys..have had different priorities lately.(car and our new SMART appartment) and am waiting for my new endgame cable At this moment...my rig is running well..still impressed how it sounds...so.no new plans YET :D

I see u guys are having fun here...keep having fun peeps

Hifimanrookie out :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back