HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 12, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #16,081 of 20,386
I have a McIntosh C100 preamp and HiFiMan HE-500's that I really like. The only "problem" is the sound could be louder. Any improvements in sound quality would be a nice bonus. I'm thinking of adding a dedicated headphone amp in-between the C100 and the HE-500's. Feature wise the headphone amp can be quite basic:

1) Balanced input/output
2) No need for a DAC

I'll also get a balanced cable for the HE-500. I considered the McIntosh MHA100 but it's complete overkill for my needs (and the C100 does a lot that the MHA100 also does). Price range? Around the $1500 mark, but am open to suggestions lower or higher.

I have two input sources in my listening room. A turntable and a CD/SACD player with balanced outs. The C100 also has balanced ins/outs.

Any suggestions from those who use a similar setup?

I'm very happy with my Bryston BHA-1 driving the HE-500. Clean, clear, precise and powerful. Superb built quality.

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #16,082 of 20,386
I'm very happy with my Bryston BHA-1 driving the HE-500. Clean, clear, precise and powerful. Superb built quality.

That's one I've been looking at. I've been impressed with Bryston amps in the past.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #16,083 of 20,386
I have a McIntosh C100 preamp and HiFiMan HE-500's that I really like. The only "problem" is the sound could be louder. Any improvements in sound quality would be a nice bonus. I'm thinking of adding a dedicated headphone amp in-between the C100 and the HE-500's. Feature wise the headphone amp can be quite basic:

1) Balanced input/output
2) No need for a DAC

I'll also get a balanced cable for the HE-500. I considered the McIntosh MHA100 but it's complete overkill for my needs (and the C100 does a lot that the MHA100 also does). Price range? Around the $1500 mark, but am open to suggestions lower or higher.

I have two input sources in my listening room. A turntable and a CD/SACD player with balanced outs. The C100 also has balanced ins/outs.

Any suggestions from those who use a similar setup?

How about the Audio GD NFB-6?

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #16,084 of 20,386
now I have a silver balanced adaptör with neutrik. NFB-10.2 --> XLR --> silver wire (10cm)  --> 3.5mm output -> 3.5mm silver cable --> HE-500.  I'm very confused. Just %20 volume increased. nothing else. It supposed to be four times more volume than single-ended output.

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #16,086 of 20,386
  now I have a silver balanced adaptör with neutrik. NFB-10.2 --> XLR --> silver wire (10cm)  --> 3.5mm output -> 3.5mm silver cable --> HE-500.  I'm very confused. Just %20 volume increased. nothing else. It supposed to be four times more volume than single-ended output.

4 times more power, not volume. It takes double the power in wattage to increase the volume 3db. Perceivable loudness/volume seems to double to a listener if you increase 10 Db (at certain levels just an example of a normal listening level - plenty of good studies on this) So to double your perceived maximum volume, you need a 10 fold increase in wattage (2x2x2 = 8 fold increase for 9 Db gained.)

Obviously different headphones have different sensitivities and all, this is just a basic outline of how volume vs power works.

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #16,087 of 20,386

driving he500s with 3,5 mm jack cable it's like pushing elephant trough the key hole in the gate
Driving he500s with xlr to 3,5 jack adaptor and using the same cable. Well, you still pushin' that poor animal throug tinny crack, but hitting his butt with some kind of shovel.
You should just open the gate and release the beast. Use dedicated aftermarket cable with allready instaled balanced xlr connector.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #16,088 of 20,386
driving he500s with 3,5 mm jack cable it's like pushing elephant trough the key hole in the gate
Driving he500s with xlr to 3,5 jack adaptor and using the same cable. Well, you still pushin' that poor animal throug tinny crack, but hitting his butt with some kind of shovel.
You should just open the gate and release the beast. Use dedicated aftermarket cable with allready instaled balanced xlr connector.

Did you measure the loss? Give us the numbers so we can verify your experiment.

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #16,089 of 20,386
I would say even 2.5mm plugs/socket has offer better contact patches, and plug/unplug durability to the stock SMC type HIFIMAN cable sockets.

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #16,090 of 20,386
  I would say even 2.5mm plugs/socket has offer better contact patches, and plug/unplug durability to the stock SMC type HIFIMAN cable sockets.

Now we're at the other end of the cable. One should measure the resistance and then make claims.
It is kind of funny how people insist upon fancy cables and terminations at the amp when there's a teensy SMC connection at the earcups.

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #16,091 of 20,386

Does it make a difference? I mean sound volume is good enough but ensturman seperation is not good. Sound is not clear. He-500 sounds bad. If I cut xlr jack after connect it he-500's original silver cable, will it be wrong?

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #16,092 of 20,386
Did anyone here get a chance to listen to Oppo PM-3? Is the sq & sound sig close to the HE-500?

I just love my HE-500 so much and I want to explore more options for portables with a similar sound and feel.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #16,093 of 20,386
  Now we're at the other end of the cable. One should measure the resistance and then make claims.
It is kind of funny how people insist upon fancy cables and terminations at the amp when there's a teensy SMC connection at the earcups.

Yes, but I had the folks in Rivendell rewire the internals with real Elf hair.  Cost me half my haul from the troll horde.  I wanted them to make me a 2.5-meter cable terminated with the shards of Narsil, but they wanted me to trade my ring.  Eff that.  My ears are only so good.  And with all that, my HE-560s still sound better than my HE-500s
tongue.gif

Bilbo out.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #16,094 of 20,386

Yes, but I had the folks in Rivendell rewire the internals with real Elf hair.  Cost me half my haul from the troll horde.  I wanted them to make me a 2.5-meter cable terminated with the shards of Narsil, but they wanted me to trade my ring.  Eff that.  My ears are only so good.  And with all that, my HE-560s still sound better than my HE-500s
tongue.gif

Bilbo out.

I hear that Sauron is about to market cables from the same material as the magic ring of invisibility, for that transparent sound. The material comes from the volcano of Mount Doom and is delivered by Gollum himself. Order your cable with SMC connectors and you'll be good to go.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #16,095 of 20,386

Guys, just give me another try, before setting on fire :)

Here is the deal:
Some of audio gd's combines perfom better from SE, other from balanced output, like in case with nfb 28. Maybe 10.2 belong to the the first SE type. Can't find it in google.
About nfb28 here
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB282015/NFB282015EN.htm
The NFB-29 is a single ended DAC with headamp and preamp (+/- 30V DC high voltage power supply ), The NFB-28 is balance DAC with headamp and preamp (+/-15V DC power supply ). So They had same output power specs can drive most headphone as well.
If customer like to keep your headphone with single ended connector (6.3MM), choice the NFB-29 get better performance than the NFB-28.
If customer had the balance connector headphone or can modify the headphone with balance connector, choice the NFB-28.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back