HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 16, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #16,111 of 20,386
Minidisc in Chatswood Sydney have the PM-3, I'm pretty sure they allow auditions there.

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #16,112 of 20,386
  Minidisc in Chatswood Sydney have the PM-3, I'm pretty sure they allow auditions there.

Thanks! I might have to investigate. I live and work in the far west, so places in east/north Syd are not even on my radar... I visit Melbourne more frequently than I visit east or north Sydney! (no joke... last time I was in Chatswood was over 2 years ago, and since then I flew to Melbourne 4 times!)

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #16,113 of 20,386
I decided to go with the Bryston. I had the chance to audition that one and liked it. Would still like to try the GoldenWave one day.

Congratulations!!

I highly recommend using a balanced cable for the HE-500 with the Bryston. The improvement is not dramatic but noticeable and well worth it.

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #16,114 of 20,386
Congratulations!!

I highly recommend using a balanced cable for the HE-500 with the Bryston. The improvement is not dramatic but noticeable and well worth it.

Yes it will be balanced all the way from CD/SACD player to preamp to amp to headphones.

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #16,115 of 20,386
Today my pure copper cable has arrived. And WOW! It's truly harsh killer. The sound stays the same in general, but without "metall" taste at treble, more airy and meaty. The needles turns into paint brushes. Sibilance doesn't hurt my ears anymore. Everything became as it should be. I'm happy :cool:

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #16,116 of 20,386
Today my pure copper cable has arrived. And WOW! It's truly harsh killer. The sound stays the same in general, but without "metall" taste at treble, more airy and meaty. The needles turns into paint brushes. Sibilance doesn't hurt my ears anymore. Everything became as it should be. I'm happy :cool:

I never heard any sibilance with my HE500. I've been using coppers for months now since I recabled more for balancing, looks and microphonics. I didn't really hear any differences to the sound except that it is slightly softer in volume but the signature stayed the same.

I might try putting an XLR connector at the end of the stock cable and see.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #16,117 of 20,386
Today my pure copper cable has arrived. And WOW! It's truly harsh killer. The sound stays the same in general, but without "metall" taste at treble, more airy and meaty. The needles turns into paint brushes. Sibilance doesn't hurt my ears anymore. Everything became as it should be. I'm happy
cool.gif

The power of belief, copper/silver it's all the same to me, heard them all. as long as you're happy enjoy the music.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #16,118 of 20,386
spurxiii
Stock silver plated cable was harsh
Pure copper cord solve this problem.

Changes is too obivious, to think it's placebo

Here is my test track list (16/44 all, most problem records in my collection):

Blloodsimple-cruel world (sibilance)
Eggypt Central- over and under (harsh cymbals)
Garbadge- Shut your mouth (Sibilance)
Avenged sevenfold- hail to the king ("metal" taste)

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #16,119 of 20,386
spurxiii

If you're happy, enjoy it.

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #16,121 of 20,386
spurxiii

Having tested the stock HE-500 cable with others, including the very smooth HE-560 stock cable, I find myself in your position: i.e., happy to have a better cable than the stock (not the stock HE-560 cable, though. DIY rules
cool.gif
).

@StanD is a terribly stubborn castaway on Gilligan's Isle, deprived as he seems to be
wink.gif
  But he is correct in this: enjoy the improved sound.

For the sake of argument, let's assume Stan is correct: ain't no diff between SPL and "pure" copper and GOLD! 
biggrin.gif
  Since you and I have heard a difference between the stock HE-500 cable and a copper cable, what does that say about the quality of the stock cable?  All I know is that it ain't good.

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #16,122 of 20,386

Having tested the stock HE-500 cable with others, including the very smooth HE-560 stock cable, I find myself in your position: i.e., happy to have a better cable than the stock (not the stock HE-560 cable, though. DIY rules
cool.gif
).

@StanD is a terribly stubborn castaway on Gilligan's Isle, deprived as he seems to be
wink.gif
  But he is correct in this: enjoy the improved sound.

For the sake of argument, let's assume Stan is correct: ain't no diff between SPL and "pure" copper and GOLD! 
biggrin.gif
  Since you and I have heard a difference between the stock HE-500 cable and a copper cable, what does that say about the quality of the stock cable?  All I know is that it ain't good.

I prefer Stardust wires treated in a particle accelerator insulated using the silk from The Spiders from Mars.

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #16,123 of 20,386
I can personally easily hear the differences in the different cables.

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #16,125 of 20,386
  I prefer Stardust wires treated in a particle accelerator insulated using the silk from The Spiders from Mars.

Or just some Mogami 
tongue.gif

David Bowie prefers the same wire as I do. You didn't get it, Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back