Hifiman HE-500 amp under $600?
Oct 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #48 of 86
Quote:

Nope - that's alow powered amp.  Only 50 watts into 8 ohms.  Perfect for just about any headphones.  Also it comes with a volume knob on it.

Thanks D, I will consider it...

I was just wondering about the price differences between amps...

I mean the SA-31 is more than twice the price... why?

Is it twice as good? Nah, dont think so

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #49 of 86
Quote:

Thanks D, I will consider it...

I was just wondering about the price differences between amps...

I mean the SA-31 is more than twice the price... why?

Is it twice as good? Nah, dont think so

Naw it wouldn't be twice as good.  It's just that some speaker amp cost lower than headphone amps.  

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #50 of 86
I thought a 40w speaker tube amp was perfect with them. About 8.5 w @ 40 ohms. With a SS dac.........

Another I bet would sound good is the Bryston but out of budget.

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #51 of 86
For future readers:

I now own both a Burson Soloist and the HifiMan EF-5. I used to have the HE-400, which I ran from the EF-5 through a MusicStreamer II DAC, very fine sounding. I now upgraded to the HE-500 and a Lab Brick USB HUB, and the difference in sound between running the MusicStreamer II directly from the computers USB and the Lab brick is night and day!! I am actually starting to regret having bought the Burson now since the EF-5 sounds so freaking awesome with me HE-500s. I do get a larger soundstage with the Soloist and slightly ore detail, but a much brighter sound and less power and warmth. The EF-5 drives the HE-500s a little better in my opinion. I use the UD384 DAC + UPower with the Soloist, and it definitely has more clarity than the MusicStreamer, and having tried all combinations now I am still unsure which one I prefer. But, for $399!! the EF-5 is amazing with these headphones! I use a Mullard CV4003 / 12AU7 Vintage New Old Stock Platinum Grade Cryogenically Treated (U.K. org. version) tube with the EF-5 - fantastic sounding compared to the other tubes I have tried so far.

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #52 of 86
Although, the Little dot MkIII does possibly not sound like the ideal partner for the HE-500s (and surely there is a lot of amp headroom that can be filled), I think it can be good with the HE-500. You may want to set the gain to +10, although +5 is useful too. A great, natural and very detailed driver tube is the CV 4015 (EF92) to be combined with a 6N6P-IR power tube. I am listening to those between 10.00 to max. 12.00.
However, I have some very nice Tung Sol driver tubes (JAN-CTL-6AJ5), which just not pull enough for the HE-500. They are predecessors of the 6AK5-type driver tubes and hence provide lesser voltage.
As I have only read vague and not necessarily good comments on the LD MKIII + HE-500 combination, I wanted to add another point of view.

I found that the CV4014 driver tubes are high gain tubes, which probably give the best performance with HE-500. They are a bit bright, hence I would suggest pairing with 6N6P-IR power tubes.

Update: Updated my post 25/11/2012 following more auditioning.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #53 of 86
Quote:
Although, the Little dot MkIII does possibly not sound like the ideal partner for the HE-500s (and surely there is a lot of amp headroom that can be filled), I think it can be good with the HE-500. You may want to set the gain to +10, although +5 is useful too. As power tubes, I would try Novosibirsk 6N6P-IR or if you have more change Sovtek 6H30 type tubes. 6N6P-IR have a bit more bass, 6H30 better treble extension and separation. As driver tube, I would suggest Mullard M8100 with a small Mullard logo. I am currently listening to this setup at 10 to 11 on the volume knob and it sounds loud enough, pretty nice and authoritative. This is with the HE-500 having been used for only like 15 hours.
However, I have some very nice Tung Sol driver tubes (JAN-CTL-6AJ5), which just do not pull enough for the HE-500. They are predecessors of the 6AK5-type driver tubes and hence provide lesser voltage.
As I have only read vague and not necessarily good comments on the LD MKIII + HE-500 combination, I wanted to add another point of view.

While you might be able to set the gain to a comfortable listening volume, isn't the power output a bit low?  Only 100 mW @ 32 ohm.

I need an amp as well as I've just purchased a pair of HE-500s.  Looking at the NFB 15.1 but am open to more suggestions.  Anything that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet?  Audio-gd Compass 2?

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #54 of 86
Agreed, I would'nt have chosen to buy a Little dot MkIII for an HE-500 but I had the MKIII with a box full of tubes and tested different setups. My line of thoughts was rather a person having access to a Little dot MkIII may want to test one of these combinations because they are quite pleasant. I am following this thread because I was planning to upgrade my amp in order to even more enjoy the headphone.

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #55 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamFrandsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]
I am actually starting to regret having bought the Burson now since the EF-5 sounds so freaking awesome with me HE-500s. I do get a larger soundstage with the Soloist and slightly ore detail, but a much brighter sound and less power and warmth.

The SA-31 might have what you feel the soloist lacks: power and warmth.

The first time I heard it, I was really impressed by the slam it brought to the music! Before that, I was using a M-Stage which, I suppose,  is too weak for the HE-500.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #56 of 86
While you might be able to set the gain to a comfortable listening volume, isn't the power output a bit low?  Only 100 mW @ 32 ohm.

I need an amp as well as I've just purchased a pair of HE-500s.  Looking at the NFB 15.1 but am open to more suggestions.  Anything that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet?  Audio-gd Compass 2?

Try the lafigaro 339 or what i owe now for my he500.. The darkvoice 337..BUT make sure u get the right tubes ( check for reviews about the 337 on google :wink: )

A sure bet would also be the yulong a18 sabre or the shiit mjolnir..both extremely good amps..but both ss..last one is also ONLY balanced

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #57 of 86
Quote:
Try the lafigaro 339 or what i owe now for my he500.. The darkvoice 337..BUT make sure u get the right tubes ( check for reviews about the 337 on google
wink.gif
)
A sure bet would also be the yulong a18 sabre or the shiit mjolnir..both extremely good amps..but both ss..last one is also ONLY balanced

Well, considering this is the <$600 thread (prefer <$400, to be honest), do you have any other recommendations in this price range? :)  I wish I could go for those amps.
etysmile.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #58 of 86
Well, considering this is the <$600 thread (prefer <$400, to be honest), do you have any other recommendations in this price range? :)  I wish I could go for those amps. :etysmile:

Oops sorry..Try the matrix quattro or the matrix m-stage..both excellent amps for under 400. Shiit lyr ( allthough i found it sounded a bit muddy on my he500). Before i had my 337 i used my matrix to burn in the he500 for 2 weeks..with gain on 10db he did very well! Better then a darkvoice 3322 with mullard tubes in it! And that for i think 299 usd with the opa627 mod i had on mine already installed..u can get the matrix at tamaudio.com.
Ps..the first matrix amp is even balanced!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back