Hifiman HE-500 amp under $600?
Sep 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

conquerator2

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys so I was looking for a desktop amp under $600 (with shipping to Czech republic) for the HE-500 (and additionally also for Ultrasones pro900)
As of now I own the Fiio E11 and the GD Audio NFB-16 (which I use with the Pro 900)
Now as my purchase of the Hifiman approaches, Im looking for an amp to juice em up.
Also if possible, Id like to order from EU so I dont have to pay additional VAT/customs for it.
Originally I was looking for the Schiit Lyr which should make a good pair and now at the Lake People G109 which too is very powerful.
Im willing to look into other amps (Burson,Alo,etc), as well if anyone here deem them worthy for the HE-500 
gs1000.gif

Additionally the amp should also have a strong bass response(shouldnt be bass shy 
atsmile.gif
) if possible (which the Lyr has but dunno how the G109 stands up though) and have a nice smooth overall presentation with great soudstage 
basshead.gif

Please post your impressions here (or PM me directly if you will) 
beerchug.gif

Thanks everyone for your help! 
beyersmile.png

Best regards, Luke 

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 86
The Schiit Lyr has excellent synergy with the Hifiman HE-500. You can order it in the EU from Electromod.

My choice for the HE-500s is the Audio-GD C2.2, which drives them to perfection and sounds super clean and neutral. Also has the option to install custom OPAs from Audio-GD to enhance the SQ even more. 

Either would make great choices and are well below your budget.

Sep 22, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #3 of 86
Corda Jazz amp or Lake People G103-S to pair with HiFiMan HE-500?

I've been stewing over the question of which of these two highly rated, entry level amps is the best fit with my new HE-500's.  The Lake People G103-S is about $90 cheaper than the Corda Jazz but the latter has some interesting features like the crossfeed filter and active balanced ground.  More important is SQ with neutrality, realistic soundstage, detail and tonal accuracy the prime considerations. 

Any recommendations?

Audiolab 8200CD>>NAD C356BEE>>PSB Imagine T; Pro-Ject Head Box S>>HiFiMan HE-500

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 86
The Audio-GD C2.2 is no longer in production.  The NFB-6 is its replacement says Kingwa.  The Compass 2 DAC+head amp/preamplifier is due to be released in Oct.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 86
+1 for the Schiit Lyr. I have it paired with the HE-500s and have been loving every minute of it. As was mentioned it's under your budget, but really sounds like it should cost more.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 86
I would probably look for a Dac/Amp combo if you don't already have a good DAC.  With the Schiit  Lyr you would also have to get a DAC.

I hear Audio-gd has very good DAC/Amp combos for good prices as well. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 86
I bought the HE500 and thought it would be a good match with the Audio GD Phoenix(run balanced)but even after experimenting with different DACs(balanced HRT Pro and Eastern Electric MiniMax)I wasn't really happy.
Bought a cheap Little Dot1+ again(sold my previous one)and on low gain with Mullard 8100 tubes it is really good!
So,yes Little Dot1+ pairs well with the HE500.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 86
I am powering my HE500 off a Matrix Mstage and its been good! The first few days wasn't great, guess its just the HE500 burning-in, now the Mstage does a good job at maximum gain. Strangely enough the same cannot be said of the Little Dot MkIII, felt that it was severely underpowered!

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #11 of 86
Quote:
I bought the HE500 and thought it would be a good match with the Audio GD Phoenix(run balanced)but even after experimenting with different DACs(balanced HRT Pro and Eastern Electric MiniMax)I wasn't really happy.
Bought a cheap Little Dot1+ again(sold my previous one)and on low gain with Mullard 8100 tubes it is really good!
So,yes Little Dot1+ pairs well with the HE500.

I agree. The LD1+ does a really good job with the HE-500. I am also running Mullard mitilary spec tubes to good effect. I did change the gain to high, but I might go back as I thought the noise floor was lower on the lower gain setting. With the higher gain setting, I typically have the volume knob of the LD1+ around 10 o'clock, and with the low gain, around 12. Of course, that is dependent on my pre-amp, and how high I turn up the volume control on the pre-amp. I also finally feel that the HE-500 is burning in, and I can hear a difference.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 86
Quote:
I am powering my HE500 off a Matrix Mstage and its been good! The first few days wasn't great, guess its just the HE500 burning-in, now the Mstage does a good job at maximum gain.

+1 on the HE500 and M-Stage combination..I run mine at +10db gain, and hardly have to move the knob past 12:30 
beyersmile.png

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 86
The M-stage is ok, probably a good entry level headamp for them. 
You can do better (HA-160) for example. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back