Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 8, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #11,521 of 14,386

Oh, I have a pair of cheaper hifiman (350, I hate the sound of those, need to sell them on ebay) that does not have the ring glued (at least I am pretty sure it wasn't) and they came with the velour pads. Strange they would do this. Anyway if it is glued with regular "hot glue" it shouldn't be too much of a mess getting it off using some isopropyl alcohol.

edit: oh well xcom already bought new pads, just me being a cheapass who would have rather tried removing the rings from the pads to save some $$ :p

I am up there with you on the cheapness... I just know my self and out of anger trying to put this things on, I will brake it lol...

Thanks for your advice!

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #11,522 of 14,386
I am up there with you on the cheapness... I just know my self and out of anger trying to put this things on, I will brake it lol...

Thanks for your advice!

I still haven't put my angle velour Brainwavz on the he400I or k712, too worried about breaking clips but can't justify ordering new stock pads atm.. oh boy lol if only I knew how to make new clips.

Also, how are you all hanging your he400i? I'm hearing to go by the bars on suspension system headphones, but I swore I read someone advise against that for the he400i.
My only downside to going the bar route with the 400I so far is not being able to use my foam empty tape roll as seen with the other 2! :joy:

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #11,523 of 14,386
I recently purchased the 400i and magni/modi 2 combo, they are in the mail now. I have read previously in the thread that some of you are using the 400i's with the Uber versions of these; is there any noticeable difference in sound quality between the magni/modi 2's and their Uber counterparts?

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #11,524 of 14,386

Oh, I have a pair of cheaper hifiman (350, I hate the sound of those, need to sell them on ebay) that does not have the ring glued (at least I am pretty sure it wasn't) and they came with the velour pads. Strange they would do this. Anyway if it is glued with regular "hot glue" it shouldn't be too much of a mess getting it off using some isopropyl alcohol.

edit: oh well xcom already bought new pads, just me being a cheapass who would have rather tried removing the rings from the pads to save some $$ :p

Different 'phones, different stock pads, some pads have the ring glued. Stock FocusPads on the 400i has the glue :p

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #11,525 of 14,386
I recently purchased the 400i and magni/modi 2 combo, they are in the mail now. I have read previously in the thread that some of you are using the 400i's with the Uber versions of these; is there any noticeable difference in sound quality between the magni/modi 2's and their Uber counterparts?

With the Modi2 its the same chip, the uber just has optical and coax and is run with a wall wart

The Magni2 is almost the same as the uber, no pre-amp output and the uber has a better power supply

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #11,526 of 14,386
With the Modi2 its the same chip, the uber just has optical and coax and is run with a wall wart

The Magni2 is almost the same as the uber, no pre-amp output and the uber has a better power supply

Thanks for that. Also a lot of users have said it's not a good pairing because it make the 400i sound too bright, and others have said they loved it. Is this just a matter of personal preference? My most used headphone at the moment is the ATH-MSR7, which is bright sounding; I love my MSR7 but just wanted some more bass and to try some open backs... Do you think in this case I will like this pairing?

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #11,527 of 14,386
Thanks for that. Also a lot of users have said it's not a good pairing because it make the 400i sound too bright, and others have said they loved it. Is this just a matter of personal preference? My most used headphone at the moment is the ATH-MSR7, which is bright sounding; I love my MSR7 but just wanted some more bass and to try some open backs... Do you think in this case I will like this pairing?

The Magni is a touch on the brighter side to me and the HE-400i can be bright/harsh to some and with some genres and it is a personal thing since we all hear differently and there is also the possibility of some variations between pairs.  I would look for a amp that is considered warm like a Polaris, G-109 or go with a tube hybrid like the Vali2 or Ember.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #11,528 of 14,386
The Magni is a touch on the brighter side to me and the HE-400i can be bright/harsh to some and with some genres and it is a personal thing since we all hear differently and there is also the possibility of some variations between pairs.  I would look for a amp that is considered warm like a Polaris, G-109 or go with a tube hybrid like the Vali2 or Ember.

OK, I will try with the modi/magni but if I find it's too bright I will probably get the Vali (not willing to break the bank after just dropping 600AUD on audio gear!). Thanks again for the advice.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #11,530 of 14,386
  Has anybody try the iFi iCan with the 400i?

I have old version iCan micro.
Highly recommended very solid combo, treble range is very good. Harsh or sibilance in highs not detected*.
Bass is perfect, but for bass heavy songs you can use XBass (one dot).

*But my DAC(Asus xonar ST) output is warm.  BB1792 -> LME49990 -> LM4562 -> iCan

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #11,531 of 14,386
  I have old version iCan micro.
Highly recommended very solid combo, treble range is very good. Harsh or sibilance in highs not detected*.
Bass is perfect, but for bass heavy songs you can use XBass (one dot).

*But my DAC(Asus xonar ST) output is warm.  BB1792 -> LME49990 -> LM4562 -> iCan

Awesome, Thanks!
I have the same iCan.

Thanks again.

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #11,533 of 14,386

I have a Magni, a Modi, a Modi 2 Uber and a Asgard 2.

The Magni is a bit bright, but not exceptionally so. The 400i is also a tad bright, but again, not exceptionally so. I think most people EQ some of the treble range on the he400i to smooth out the sound a bit. The 400i in general sounds a bit smoother with a warmer amp in my opinion, the Asgard is a bit warmer then the Magni (again, not exceptionally so!) so I much prefer the 400i with the Asgard 2. That said, it sounds fine with the Magni as well and if it comes across a bit to bright for your taste, that can generally be fixed with some mild EQ.

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #11,534 of 14,386

I have a Magni, a Modi, a Modi 2 Uber and a Asgard 2.

The Magni is a bit bright, but not exceptionally so. The 400i is also a tad bright, but again, not exceptionally so. I think most people EQ some of the treble range on the he400i to smooth out the sound a bit. The 400i in general sounds a bit smoother with a warmer amp in my opinion, the Asgard is a bit warmer then the Magni (again, not exceptionally so!) so I much prefer the 400i with the Asgard 2. That said, it sounds fine with the Magni as well and if it comes across a bit to bright for your taste, that can generally be fixed with some mild EQ.

I have a Modi 2 (usb powered) and a Magni 2 Uber and found this to be the case- I need to tone down the treble a bit for my ears.  It's not unlistenable but with a slight treble drop (and for my tastes, a slight bass boost) it's outstanding. 

My Modi Multibit is on the way currently.  I'm pretty excited, I was considering the m9xx but decided to go ahead and try the Schiit first.

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #11,535 of 14,386
Originally Posted by xcom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Awesome, Thanks!
I have the same iCan.

Thanks again.

Your welcome!
My iCan is old version, but with bottom gain switch.
iCan have more then enough power for HE400i on 0dB gain.
You can even listen to heavily compressed (with very low dynamic range) song DR3 or DR4.
Just turn volume down to 9 o'clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back