Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 16, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #10,456 of 14,386
  I just got mine yesterday and the detail on them is pretty amazing as well as their feel. The bass is lighter than my IEMs, but not as bad as the 598s. I do have a question about storage. The case they come in is very snug, so it takes some pushing on the headband to get them to fit back into it. I'm a little afraid to rip or damage the leather band if I keep doing this. I am wondering how people store their 400i when they aren't using them?

I went through the same thing.  I didn't want to disconnect the cables from the headphones everyday just to store/put away, I didn't want to wear out the connection.  So, that really limited me on what cases would work.  I then looked at headphone stands.  My two biggest concerns with a stand were: 1) Dust.  Doesn't seem like it would be a great combination with open back headphones.  2) I have a two-year old.  'Nuff said.  Then it occurred to me... the head phone case it came with without the foam molding is perfect!  It is super easy to put away/take out (similar to the convenience of a headphone stand), and it protects it from dust and wont damage cable that can be left in.  Best of both worlds.  Besides, its already paid for and looks nice, too!

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #10,457 of 14,386
I went through the same thing.  I didn't want to disconnect the cables from the headphones everyday, I didn't want to wear out the connection.  So, that really limited me on what cases would work.  I then looked at headphone stands.  My two biggest concerns with a stand were: 1) Dust.  Doesn't seem like it would be a great combination with open back headphones.  2) I have a two-year old.  'Nuff said.  Then it occurred to me... the head phone case it can with without the foam molding is perfect!  It is super easy to put away/take out (similar to the convenience of a headphone stand), and it protects it from dust and wont damage cable that can be left in.  Best of both worlds.  Besides, its already paid for and looks nice, too!

That is a really good idea. I didn't even think about taking out the foam. Thank you!

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #10,458 of 14,386
Now available here for $234.65. When you first visit the site sign up for the email coupon to get them down to this price.

$234.65

https://www.acgears.com/hifiman-he-400i-headphones.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKEAiAvs7CBRC24rao6bGCoiASJABaCt5DWKezlzBuQI7475c3MIsrqZTMsFVni0abMTPsDZK_VxoCgAPw_wcB

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #10,460 of 14,386
Is this a good headphone compared to the HD 600? I like neutral sound.

To me its about the same level as the HD-600, one of the more neutral sounding planar headphones.

Since you asked about the HD-800 also but in that you asked if it sounds similar, why would you want something similar?  Wouldn't you want either different or an improvement from the HD-600?

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #10,461 of 14,386
To me its about the same level as the HD-600, one of the more neutral sounding planar headphones.

Since you asked about the HD-800 also but in that you asked if it sounds similar, why would you want something similar?  Wouldn't you want either different or an improvement from the HD-600?

I just mean something that sounds kind of similar because I like the HD 600's sound signature.

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #10,462 of 14,386
I just mean something that sounds kind of similar because I like the HD 600's sound signature.

I don't quite understand your question then, if you like the HD-600's sound signature why are you looking for another headphone that sounds like it?  Am I missing something?

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #10,463 of 14,386
  I don't quite understand your question then, if you like the HD-600's sound signature why are you looking for another headphone that sounds like it?  Am I missing something?

He may not own the HD600 & the HE400i is cheaper. He actually asked if the HE400i is comparable to the HD600. Maybe he is trying to decide which to buy. Must we explain why we are asking questions here? 

kev

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #10,465 of 14,386
About the same soundstage size, about the same imaging accuracy. LCD3 is smoother and more resolving and has better bass impact. Same bass speed and accuracy. LCD3 mids are more liquids. HE400i has more up front/energetic highs. LCD3 highs are smoother.

Actually managed to grab a pair of LCD-X from the Black Friday-hassle for 999$ brand spanking new, should be arriving next week. And to @DavidA as well, wondering in advance; are they a clear step-up from 400i, but basically having the same characteristics? I thought HE-X was a clear step-up, quite energetic and dynamic, and more to my tastes than the HE-K I was A/B:ing at the same time, which was just a bit too laid back for me, at least for the relatively short time I heard them. I thought the HE-X was worth the money.
But anyways, 'twas a blind buy, as the brick & mortar store availability here for Audeze products is a bit of hassle, was originally going for the 499$ LCD-2 route due to the supposed liquidity aspect/to hear the Audeze house sound, but oh well, took the "upgrade" route. I still have a problem with certain genres on the 400i, the HD650 does certain guitar genres oh-so-much better.

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #10,466 of 14,386
  He may not own the HD600 & the HE400i is cheaper. He actually asked if the HE400i is comparable to the HD600. Maybe he is trying to decide which to buy. Must we explain why we are asking questions here? 

kev

Just trying to give him the best recommendations for what he is asking.  There is nothing in his profile so I figured its better to ask.  If he had said I own the HD-600 or have heard them and was wondering how the HE-400i compares the question makes more sense IMO.  Another thing is he doesn't give a budget, music genre that he likes which to me will determine which I would recommend and at that time ask if he has an amp for the HD-600 since there aren't too many amps that pair really well with both IMO.

I could have just given a crap reply like "no", or "they are not comparable", or "one is dynamic the other is a planar", but I know now that they will be fine for your questions in the future.

Actually managed to grab a pair of LCD-X from the Black Friday-hassle for 999$ brand spanking new, should be arriving next week. And to @DavidA as well, wondering in advance; are they a clear step-up from 400i, but basically having the same characteristics? I thought HE-X was a clear step-up, quite energetic and dynamic, and more to my tastes than the HE-K I was A/B:ing at the same time, which was just a bit too laid back for me, at least for the relatively short time I heard them. I thought the HE-X was worth the money.
But anyways, 'twas a blind buy, as the brick & mortar store availability here for Audeze products is a bit of hassle, was originally going for the 499$ LCD-2 route due to the supposed liquidity aspect/to hear the Audeze house sound, but oh well, took the "upgrade" route. I still have a problem with certain genres on the 400i, the HD650 does certain guitar genres oh-so-much better.

LCD-X is a really good headphone if you don't want to deal with amps, easily driven by portable gear like a Fiio X3ii, only issue I have with all LCD series is that they are just too heavy for my GF and I.  The HE-X was just a little to laid back for me the few times that I've heard them and the HE-1K was another that was disappointing to me, too laid back and no life.

As for the HD-600 being an upgrade to the HE-400i, it depends on the genres of music that you listen to and what you will be using to drive them.  For me the HD-600 was a little of a disappointment after hearing how they were neutral and so perfect, it has a slight spike at 4-5khz that seems to bother me with some tracks and the bass is just a little to mid-bass centric IMO.  I sold my HD-600 to a friend who really wanted them when she first heard them and I was going to look for another pair somewhere down the road to have a "neutral" sounding headphone but ever since I built my Ypsilon and Nhoord driver headphones I'll never get another HD-600.  The few that have heard the Ypsilon think its better than a Ether C, HD-600, HD-650, LCD-2f/3f, Alpha Prime, T1, HE-400i, and RS2e.  My friend who bought my HD-600 sold it right after she heard the Ypsilon.

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #10,467 of 14,386

kev

Might help if you wish to get a reasonable answer...

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #10,468 of 14,386
Is this a good headphone compared to the HD 600? I like neutral sound.

The stock HE400i are not very similar to the HD 600, as they have noticeably elevated and peaky treble compared to the HD600, and the mids are a bit recessed compared to the HD600.  If you are willing to replace the pads though, then the HE400i are quite similar to the HD600, with a fairly neutral response. 

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #10,469 of 14,386
Hey friends, just got my he400i's - what a magnificent looking pair :)

My laptop's sound card can barely handle them - any quick recommendations for a DAC & AMP stack ?
Saw the magni + modi 2 uber and the NFB15 of audio gd as potential pairs.

Thoughts ?

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #10,470 of 14,386
Hey friends, just got my he400i's - what a magnificent looking pair :)

My laptop's sound card can barely handle them - any quick recommendations for a DAC & AMP stack ?

Saw the magni + modi 2 uber and the NFB15 of audio gd as potential pairs.

Thoughts ?

If you can swing the money, upgrade to the Modi Multibit. If budget is a big concern, grab the new Fulla2 (unless you need the different input options of the modi2uber. Honestly, given the full2, there's just no reason whatsoever to own the modi2 nonuber version. I'd go for the Vali2 over the magni.

The Modi/magni stack, imho, sits in an awkward position in Schitt's lineup right now. Not enough of an upgrade over the Fulla2, and far exceeded by the Modi Multibit and Vali2 above it.

Another option is the audioquest Dragonfly (black or red are fine, I have the red and love it).

A step up from there would be the Grace m9XX and Chord Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back