Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 12, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #10,397 of 14,386
the sibilance of the 400i is really messing me up.

It is sooo much harsher as the 400s. 

Harsher than the old ATH M50.

And even harsher the Superlux 668b. 

And i don't know why.

=(

I don't get that? What is your chain, volume level, any particular sound? I'm no expert but I'd like to see if I can experience it. I don't get any sibilance fatigue from the 400i but we all have different thresholds and apparently, possibly different pedigrees of the 400i. I listen almost always with the m9XX.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #10,399 of 14,386
Hey I am buying meze and akg k712 and for 3rd headphone I want something different so oppo pm3 or nighthawks or hifiman he400i?

So you don't have the meze or akg yet? If not, get those first and live with them for a while and see what you like, don't like, and if anything's missing.

The meze are closed headphones aren't they? The AKG are open, so have you not got a preference between open or closed for the third set?

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #10,401 of 14,386
Hey I am buying meze and akg k712 and for 3rd headphone I want something different so oppo pm3 or nighthawks or hifiman he400i?

I have both the PM-3 and the 400i. I recommend both (not either), but if you have to pick one, it's really going to depend on your preferences.

My PM-3's are warmer across the board and have slightly less sibilance on than the 400i's. The 400i's are also more neutral with less bass presence, a more airy and open sound, and much wider soundstage. So slightly more sibilance (instead of much more) is actually impressive. The 400i are nicely detailed and separated through the mids and treble, but a little bass-light for my taste and a bit lacking in sub-bass. They do respond well to the bass boost on my amp though. Much less weight and impact than the PM-3's, but that's a trade-off for the much wider soundstage and the better imaging across the spectrum.

In short, if you prefer weight, impact, and bass presence, go with the PM-3. If you prefer soundstage, airy treble, and a more neutral tone, go for the 400i.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #10,402 of 14,386
I have both the PM-3 and the 400i. I recommend both (not either), but if you have to pick one, it's really going to depend on your preferences.

My PM-3's are warmer across the board and have slightly less sibilance on than the 400i's. The 400i's are also more neutral with less bass presence, a more airy and open sound, and much wider soundstage. So slightly more sibilance (instead of much more) is actually impressive. The 400i are nicely detailed and separated through the mids and treble, but a little bass-light for my taste and a bit lacking in sub-bass. They do respond well to the bass boost on my amp though. Much less weight and impact than the PM-3's, but that's a trade-off for the much wider soundstage and the better imaging across the spectrum.

In short, if you prefer weight, impact, and bass presence, go with the PM-3. If you prefer soundstage, airy treble, and a more neutral tone, go for the 400i.
for soundstage,treble and mids akg k712 and meze are there but there bass is not that much

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #10,403 of 14,386
for soundstage,treble and mids akg k712 and meze are there but there bass is not that much

Unfortunately, that's going to be the trade-off for every headphone. Those things tend to be fairly mutually exclusive.

Also, the soundstage on the 400i is good, but it's not great. I have a couple of much cheaper cans that top it for soundstage. I wouldn't be surprised if the K712 or the Meze topped it there too. That being said, it's not bad. I think some reviewers have understated its size.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #10,404 of 14,386
Unfortunately, that's going to be the trade-off for every headphone. Those things tend to be fairly mutually exclusive.

Also, the soundstage on the 400i is good, but it's not great. I have a couple of much cheaper cans that top it for soundstage. I wouldn't be surprised if the K712 or the Meze topped it there too. That being said, it's not bad. I think some reviewers have understated its size.
currently I am leaning more towards nighthawks,oppo and then hifiman

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #10,405 of 14,386

I'd just go for the Fulla2, ModiMultibit, Vali2 or jotenheim and skip the modi/magni level.  

Any idea which of the Schiit (or competitor) amps have a good quality pre-amp?

One option would be to sell my lovely Exposure pre-amp
frown.gif
, and put the funds towards a headphone amp that can also power my monitors.

Thanks

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #10,408 of 14,386
  the sibilance of the 400i is really messing me up.
It is sooo much harsher as the 400s. 
Harsher than the old ATH M50.
And even harsher the Superlux 668b. 
And i don't know why.
=(

I'm having somewhat the same reaction.  Got these today, so zero burn-in.  Listening to some tracks, there is definitely a bit of harshness in the highs (~13khz).  It's often perceivable with vocals.  It doesn't seem to be so severe that it's constant and will be introduced constantly by the headphones, but where in the recordings there is a slight harshness, these do seem to bring out it; bit more in evidence.  For this particular issue Senn 598 < AKG Q701 < HE400i.  Hopefully will mellow out burn-in...  But on the upside, while it can be somewhat distracting on some vocals, it does seem to give some twang to strings, ex; acoustic guitar, or any type of electronic/bell type sound.

Listening to more tracks, it definitely doesn't happen on every or even most recordings, seems more limited to some recordings...  Hmmm.. I'm actually not even sure it's the headphones now, as some have none of it...  Or maybe it's related to the dynamic vs magnetic planar?  An example of a song where there is no voice harshness on Q701, but definitely noticeable harshness on HE400i; Def Leppard's Women; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtgF2q-zEmU  Actually throughout the entire song you can hear the sort of constant hashness; a sort of overtone...  :/

PC (flac) -> Modi -> Magni

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #10,409 of 14,386

I haven't been fatigued by the 400i with sibilance so I'm curious what produces the sensation. I've been to one "meet" and honestly I was surprised by the volume at which people listen to headphones. Maybe I'm prone to the same sibilance, but just don't push them to high enough volumes for long enough durations.

The whole headfi experience in my opinion is based on verbal perception and interpretation coupled with our personal experience. I've heard several comments say there is sibilance, others say there isn't. I'd like to hear what's perceived as sibilance on the 400i. I don't get high frequency sensitivity from the 400i.

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #10,410 of 14,386
I haven't been fatigued by the 400i with sibilance so I'm curious what produces the sensation. I've been to one "meet" and honestly I was surprised by the volume at which people listen to headphones. Maybe I'm prone to the same sibilance, but just don't push them to high enough volumes for long enough durations.

The whole headfi experience in my opinion is based on verbal perception and interpretation coupled with our personal experience. I've heard several comments say there is sibilance, others say there isn't. I'd like to hear what's perceived as sibilance on the 400i. I don't get high frequency sensitivity from the 400i.

Listen to Björk - Pagan Poetry ! =D
The recording in this song defeats every headphone. regardless of volume^^ pretty much my favorite song tho.
Therefore the additional harshness of the 400i is a bit annoying. 
Don't get me wrong.. otherwise the 400i sound much better than the 400s...
I think with the 400s sound boomy because of the mid-bass and the HM5 pads don't help there.
The 400i sounds much more exiting but at times a bit fatiguing especially with loud music.  
All using HM5 pads but they don't really change the treble difference 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back