Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 12, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #10,381 of 14,386
No you're right, I used to think it was fine at it's price range. But the release of the Vali2 (the Vali 1 was a microphonic piece of junk with weird gain levels, the 2 fixed all that), Modi Multibit and Fulla2 changed my mind on the Modi Magni stack. The Modi Magni stack is fine, but has simply been passed in Schitt's line on both the cheaper and more expensive sides value wise. To me, either go with the Fulla2 and save the cash or step up to the Modi Multibit + Vali2 level, which is dramatically better, especially with the HE400I

Any thoughts or experience on how the Asgard 2 pairs up with the 400i?

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #10,382 of 14,386
Any thoughts or experience on how the Asgard 2 pairs up with the 400i?

I've only ever heard the Asgard2 like once and didn't particularly like it for the price. I remembered preferring the Lyr2 quite a bit. But I don't remember the specifics of why, personally. Sorry.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #10,383 of 14,386
I've only ever heard the Asgard2 like once and didn't particularly like it for the price. I remembered preferring the Lyr2 quite a bit. But I don't remember the specifics of why, personally. Sorry.

No worries! Been enlightening reading your impressions, just trying to plan what I want to pick up after the holidays.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #10,384 of 14,386
No you're right, I used to think it was fine at it's price range. But the release of the Vali2 (the Vali 1 was a microphonic piece of junk with weird gain levels, the 2 fixed all that), Modi Multibit and Fulla2 changed my mind on the Modi Magni stack. The Modi Magni stack is fine, but has simply been passed in Schitt's line on both the cheaper and more expensive sides value wise. To me, either go with the Fulla2 and save the cash or step up to the Modi Multibit + Vali2 level, which is dramatically better, especially with the HE400I

Great stuff, thank you. The Fulla 2 isn't available in Europe yet, not sure if that's coming.

Is the Vali2 good enough as is? I really don't want to get into tube rolling.

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #10,385 of 14,386

I'm sorry, I'm not following any of this. Please post a how-to walkthrough video.
tongue_smile.gif

My post was meant as a general recommendation.  To make myself clear I had positive results with putting the headband forward. I felt headphone driver got better angle towards my ear canals and that resulted in subjectivelly better sound to me. He-400i bass became tighter with better slam and soundstage/imaging became more precise. It added airness to treble and timbres sounded more realistic to the recordings. Also the overall clarity of HE-400i was simply better. I would say the difference was quite noticeable to me,  maybe 10-15 % better (?), its difficult to quantify. Pictures are bellow:

"traditional" position - HE-400i is more warmish, bass is more bloomy, worse seal and bass extension, imaging is slightly fuzzier, soundstage more compressed, overall clarity still very good albeit not the best I got from HE-400i

headband is put more forward, pads got better angle for my ear canals - bass is tighter and deeper with better slam, imaging is more precise, soundstage more holographic with increased width and depth, more detailed treble, overall sound signature moved towards neutral (still slightly warm), best overall clarity and transparency I got from stock HE-400i

As always YMMV, try to experiment with positioning on your own and use the angle which fits you best. My impressions are with older stock HE-400i with the backplate.

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #10,386 of 14,386
Great stuff, thank you. The Fulla 2 isn't available in Europe yet, not sure if that's coming.

Is the Vali2 good enough as is? I really don't want to get into tube rolling.

Yeah, the stock tube is very good. It can be improved, certainly. But you can hold off, or never do it, or wait until you're bored. It isn't a necessity to change it out by any means.

I'd guess maybe a month-ish wait for European availability. They haven't actually shipped in the US yet, usually they are available in Europe about two weeks after they start shipping in the us.

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #10,387 of 14,386
Originally Posted by marhol /img/forum/go_quote.gif

headband is put more forward, pads got better angle for my ear canals - bass is tighter and deeper with better slam, imaging is more precise, soundstage more holographic with increased width and depth, more detailed treble, overall sound signature moved towards neutral (still slightly warm), best overall clarity and transparency I got from stock HE-400i

As always YMMV, try to experiment with positioning on your own and use the angle which fits you best. My impressions are with older stock HE-400i with the backplate.

I was being a smart-ass before, but actually these pictures are very helpful. I am eager to try this positioning. Some thoughts:

You seem to wear yours lower than I wear mine. I have the bottom of the pads touching my earlobes and the headband fairly tight. I've had no issues with the sound this way.

Also, do you find the sound changes with or without your glasses on? That was an issue for me with my PM-3s. I got the benefits you mentioned just by getting a better seal around my glasses.

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #10,388 of 14,386
Yeah, the stock tube is very good. It can be improved, certainly. But you can hold off, or never do it, or wait until you're bored. It isn't a necessity to change it out by any means.

I'd guess maybe a month-ish wait for European availability. They haven't actually shipped in the US yet, usually they are available in Europe about two weeks after they start shipping in the us.

Sounds good, and the Vali 2 is only a little more than the Magni 2 Uber.

I'm not wanting to take this off topic, as it's the HE400i thread, but I'm not going to be the only one with multiple headphones :) - does the Vali2 also suit the HD650 (and similar 'phones), or is it a little warm or coloured?

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #10,389 of 14,386

This is good advice...

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #10,390 of 14,386

Sounds good, and the Vali 2 is only a little more than the Magni 2 Uber.

I'm not wanting to take this off topic, as it's the HE400i thread, but I'm not going to be the only one with multiple headphones :) - does the Vali2 also suit the HD650 (and similar 'phones), or is it a little warm or coloured?

It sounds very good with the HD650.  I thought the Lyr2 sounded a bit better with the HD650, but is obviously substantially more expensive.  I even like the Vali2 with the HD800.  The "colouring" on the Vali2 mostly depends on which tube you put in it.  The stock tube is pretty neutral.

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #10,391 of 14,386

It sounds very good with the HD650.  I thought the Lyr2 sounded a bit better with the HD650, but is obviously substantially more expensive.  I even like the Vali2 with the HD800.  The "colouring" on the Vali2 mostly depends on which tube you put in it.  The stock tube is pretty neutral.

I only wanted a nice pair of headphones. Within a month I'll be tube rolling and divorced.

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #10,392 of 14,386

I only wanted a nice pair of headphones. Within a month I'll be tube rolling and divorced.

the good news with the Vali2 is you only need 1 tube, and you don't have to pay extra for matching.  You don't want to know how much I've spend on tubes for my Torpedo III, and it even uses a cheaper/easier to find family of tubes (12A_7).

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #10,393 of 14,386

I was being a smart-ass before, but actually these pictures are very helpful. I am eager to try this positioning. Some thoughts:

You seem to wear yours lower than I wear mine. I have the bottom of the pads touching my earlobes and the headband fairly tight. I've had no issues with the sound this way.

Also, do you find the sound changes with or without your glasses on? That was an issue for me with my PM-3s. I got the benefits you mentioned just by getting a better seal around my glasses.

I don´t feel sound changes with or without my glasses on. I tried it back and forth some minutes ago, but did not find any change. My frames are very slim tough. To be honest I usually listen HE-400i without glasses while lying in bed as it is more comfortable and relaxing. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #10,394 of 14,386
With my big ears, there's not much room for adjustment while maintaining comfort. I will say, these are awesome. Listening to Joe Richardson sounds like I'm right there. I've seen him many times live at Joes Generic Bat back in the day. Add the Cayin C5, bass boost, maybe some smoke and an ah tray or two, a couple cold ones and it'd REALLY feel like I'm at Joes. I think these do well with a bass boost because the mids are so well controlled and the headphone is fast. The bass boost is not as enjoyable on my other headphones but with these, it does add that extra bit of fun. In Blues, then bass lines come out up front and with lots of texture.

Edit: On second thought, it takes you from the studio to the Bar with that room effect (untreated and raw).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back