Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 11, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #10,351 of 14,386
My Hifiman HE-400i arrived today, got an customer returned one for 225+14(shipping). I was bit worried if they were sending the one with old connector, but luckily it turned out to be one with new connector.

Now looking for budget amp for it.

new Fulla2 looks like a good bet.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #10,352 of 14,386
The bass is there just not as much if you're coming from the dynamic world like me - not nearly the punch of a good DD, but that's to be expected. The extension is decent, but can be improved. If you look at the filters that are used in the Kameleon you can get a flat response down to 20 Hz (Heres a link to some measurements - granted they're for the 1st gen, but should be close enough for the new models

With the 400i I feel the bass is ALL there, you just don't get that same impact at the onset of each hit and you don't have the ringing (might be using this term incorrectly) associated with dynamics so the hit ends more accurately and I believe this is perceived as a thinner, dryer bass if you aren't used to planars. The advantage though which takes some time to appreciate is the detail and texture in the bass, especially when there are multiple bass notes or hits being played. It's not the one note bass of many other headphones but something more precise and clean. When a person has been groomed on congested, ringing dynamics (maybe a bad generalization), hearing a planar for the first time is underwhelming until you begin to appreciate the speed and detail.

I swap these back and forth with the THX00 Mahogany or PH and these still have something to offer and are far less fatiguing. I haven't dialed it in, but I think the 400i do better for real instrumental bass over electronically produced bass.

Bottomline is that if I could increase the impact of bass (maybe the magnitude) with these planars and keep the detail, speed, maybe widen the soundstage, that would be a gem. Up and up the chain or perhaps not I don't know. I've heard the HD800 once on a VERY NICE setup and it was great though it was in a noisy room so I don't know if this fulfills my description above.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #10,353 of 14,386
I am a new owner of the 400i. I have a session with a Campire Jupiter today and was stunt by the level of detail it can retrieve. My question is if my 400i can achieve such level of detail with proper amping? I am using mine on a XDP-300R balanced but it's no where near the level of detail I get from the Jupiter on SE.

Cheers

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #10,355 of 14,386
With the 400i I feel the bass is ALL there, you just don't get that same impact at the onset of each hit and you don't have the ringing (might be using this term incorrectly) associated with dynamics so the hit ends more accurately and I believe this is perceived as a thinner, dryer bass if you aren't used to planars. The advantage though which takes some time to appreciate is the detail and texture in the bass, especially when there are multiple bass notes or hits being played. It's not the one note bass of many other headphones but something more precise and clean. When a person has been groomed on congested, ringing dynamics (maybe a bad generalization), hearing a planar for the first time is underwhelming until you begin to appreciate the speed and detail.

I swap these back and forth with the THX00 Mahogany or PH and these still have something to offer and are far less fatiguing. I haven't dialed it in, but I think the 400i do better for real instrumental bass over electronically produced bass.

Bottomline is that if I could increase the impact of bass (maybe the magnitude) with these planars and keep the detail, speed, maybe widen the soundstage, that would be a gem. Up and up the chain or perhaps not I don't know. I've heard the HD800 once on a VERY NICE setup and it was great though it was in a noisy room so I don't know if this fulfills my description above.

That does pretty much describe my initial impression with them. One of the reasons I purchased them - other than just needing to have a planars at a excellent sale price - was from reading how excellent planars are with bass. Wasn't disappointed by any means, just somewhat confused about what all the hype was about. Thought maybe the bass comments just applied to closed back models since we all know opens aren't spectacular for extension. Turns out all I needed was some burn-in - my brain, not necessarily the phones. Same thing happened when I first got the B3p1. Was underwhelmed to say the least, but I just need a bit of time to adjust to a very different sig from what I've been hearing up to that point. Quite happy with them now.

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #10,356 of 14,386
I've heard the HD800 once on a VERY NICE setup and it was great though it was in a noisy room so I don't know if this fulfills my description above.

properly calibrated with EQ, the HD800 bass is pretty close to what you are describing.  The design of the HD800 creates a sound wave somewhere between a planar and a dynamic.  In the bass, I find I get the speed and clarity of good planar bass, but with the impact of a dynamic.  Pretty crazy to be talking about the HD800's bass like that, but EQ is the key (and an amp powerful and clean enough to push the levels that need to be pushed with that big of an EQ bump).  The HD800, Abyss and LCD3 have the most true to life bass I've heard, if you go about it correctly with them each.  The HE400i can come really close to those levels if properly EQd, but it can never quite manage impact to be really, fully lifelike like those other 3 can.  And that's no slam on the HE400i, that's putting it up against true TOTL summit-fi cans.

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #10,357 of 14,386
Schiit fulla 2 looks good, but I am looking for a portable one. May be I should go for fiio a5, but I am not sure how good it is.

dragonfly red or black pair very well with HE400i.

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #10,358 of 14,386
properly calibrated with EQ, the HD800 bass is pretty close to what you are describing.  The design of the HD800 creates a sound wave somewhere between a planar and a dynamic.  In the bass, I find I get the speed and clarity of good planar bass, but with the impact of a dynamic.  Pretty crazy to be talking about the HD800's bass like that, but EQ is the key (and an amp powerful and clean enough to push the levels that need to be pushed with that big of an EQ bump).  The HD800, Abyss and LCD3 have the most true to life bass I've heard, if you go about it correctly with them each.  The HE400i can come really close to those levels if properly EQd, but it can never quite manage impact to be really, fully lifelike like those other 3 can.  And that's no slam on the HE400i, that's putting it up against true TOTL summit-fi cans.

Do you have any experience with the LCD X?
I bought a pair. I am waiting for them to arrive.

I will post a comparison between the X and the 400i.

The he400i are the reason I upgraded in the first place. My brain thought - if the 400i is considered mid range then I have to try high end.

I want an overall upgrade in sound quality, the most important thing is more slam in the bass.

Thanks,

Daniel.

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #10,359 of 14,386
Do you have any experience with the LCD X?
I bought a pair. I am waiting for them to arrive.

I will post a comparison between the X and the 400i.

The he400i are the reason I upgraded in the first place. My brain thought - if the 400i is considered mid range then I have to try high end.

I want an overall upgrade in sound quality, the most important thing is more slam in the bass.

Thanks,

Daniel.

I've tried them, but to be honest I don't remember much about my thoughts on them, other than remembering I liked the THX00 a little bit more. But I do remember really liking them. Much better than the Audeze EL8 closed

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #10,360 of 14,386
I anxiously await your impressions between the LCD-X and 400i just because a friend mentioned the potential availability of his that he apparently doesn't use.

@fjrabon, can you give a more in depth comparison of the LCD3 to the 400i?

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #10,361 of 14,386
So, I bought a new pair of these for $240, just got them last night. I really wasn't looking for another can but the price was so low and I wanted to try out the planar sound. They will mostly be used with my Dragonfly v1.2 on my laptop. Burning them in a little bit before trying them.

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #10,362 of 14,386
I anxiously await your impressions between the LCD-X and 400i just because a friend mentioned the potential availability of his that he apparently doesn't use.

@fjrabon, can you give a more in depth comparison of the LCD3 to the 400i?

About the same soundstage size, about the same imaging accuracy. LCD3 is smoother and more resolving and has better bass impact. Same bass speed and accuracy. LCD3 mids are more liquids. HE400i has more up front/energetic highs. LCD3 highs are smoother.

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #10,363 of 14,386
From my experience also headphone position has to be taken into account when it comes to bass extension and slam. By putting the headband slightly forward and pads a bit lower (as shown on the picture below) the headphone drivers got better angle for my ear canals. I got better bass impact/extension/tightness, better clarity, better soundstage, layering and sharper imaging. No grill mods, no toilet paper, no leather pads or equalization whatsoever was needed.
rolleyes.gif
   I had similar experience with Beyerdynamic DT 990. In my opinion with decent DAC and headphone amp (I use iBasso DX90) and that little positioning you can get as much slam as there is on the recording.   I have older HE-400i with backplate though, can´t comment whether the new version  has the same bass extension as I have never heard it.

Scientifically proven, see http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/tipstricks.htm
wink_face.gif

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #10,364 of 14,386
I'm not a fan of the HD800 for current popular music. I've been meaning to try out the HD800S since it supposedly tones done the treble a bit and adds a bit of bass quantity, but just haven't had a chance.

As for the HE400i, isn't the 400i supposed to have a bit less sub bass then the original 400? That was my understanding at least.

As for QC issues, who knows...I've had a pair of HE400's for close to 4 years now, and they are still in the exact same condition as the day I bought them new. No issues with the connectors, no issues with paint coming off, nothing. I've even tinkered with them a bit, removing and replace pads, grills etc. Still in 100% flawless condition. 

I'm currently waiting on my 400i's to arrive (Christmas day) and I highly doubt I will have any issues with QC, but again, some people seem to have had some issues so who knows.

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #10,365 of 14,386
  From my experience also headphone position has to be taken into account when it comes to bass extension and slam. By putting the headband slightly forward and pads a bit lower (as shown on the picture below) the headphone drivers got better angle for my ear canals. I got better bass impact/extension/tightness, better clarity, better soundstage, layering and sharper imaging. No grill mods, no toilet paper, no leather pads or equalization whatsoever was needed.
rolleyes.gif
   I had similar experience with Beyerdynamic DT 990. In my opinion with decent DAC and headphone amp (I use iBasso DX90) and that little positioning you can get as much slam as there is on the recording.   I have older HE-400i with backplate though, can´t comment whether the new version  has the same bass extension as I have never heard it.

Scientifically proven, see http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/tipstricks.htm
wink_face.gif

I'm sorry, I'm not following any of this. Please post a how-to walkthrough video.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back