Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 8, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #10,291 of 14,386

You should buy them from Razordog.  https://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/hifiman/products/hifiman-he-400i-full-size-planar-magnetic-headphone-open-box

Trust me, you will never have any issues with the Hifiman headphones from Razordog.

That's where I was looking...thanks, will give them a shot. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #10,293 of 14,386
Dec 8, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #10,295 of 14,386
strange thing i noticed. 
The 400i have alot more treble than the 400s but the response graphs i took are pretty similar in the treble. how can that be? there is a lot of sibilance on the 400i i cant hear on the 400s.. 
Anyone has an explanation?

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #10,297 of 14,386
I don't think so because i measured a lot of positions and merged it. the differences where small.

The headphone rests on a flat surface when i measure so the seal should be given..

Also strange that the 400s has more bass regardless of the pad.

I find this intriguing. I've read both the 400s and 400i thread and honestly am a little puzzled by some outlier observations in those threads that supported your measurements (noticed long before your measurements). I do feel the consensus is that the 400s is a little rolled off on both ends and is lacking a little micro detail but I've never A/B'd the two but I do own the 400i. I heard the 400s and immediately felt it lacked the Micro details of the 400i, some might call this more smooth I guess or maybe not. I feel I needed them both under a controlled AB to make a better comparison but these measurements are real and they are your work. Could there be some manufacturing variance at play? Perhaps each model varying in opposing directions of the headphones you have? You heard it and measured it and I think that's undeniable. I think prat, timber, tone and other more complex observations in headphones are more arguable because of the varying levels of auditory descriptions amongst headfiers, but bass quantity seems am easier thing to hear and you have measurements. Without turning this into a science project, would be cool to see another 400s or 400I as a tie breaker. Thanks for sharing your measurements and observations.

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #10,298 of 14,386
I find this intriguing. I've read both the 400s and 400i thread and honestly am a little puzzled by some outlier observations in those threads that supported your measurements (noticed long before your measurements). I do feel the consensus is that the 400s is a little rolled off on both ends and is lacking a little micro detail but I've never A/B'd the two but I do own the 400i. I heard the 400s and immediately felt it lacked the Micro details of the 400i, some might call this more smooth I guess or maybe not. I feel I needed them both under a controlled AB to make a better comparison but these measurements are real and they are your work. Could there be some manufacturing variance at play? Perhaps each model varying in opposing directions of the headphones you have? You heard it and measured it and I think that's undeniable. I think prat, timber, tone and other more complex observations in headphones are more arguable because of the varying levels of auditory descriptions amongst headfiers, but bass quantity seems am easier thing to hear and you have measurements. Without turning this into a science project, would be cool to see another 400s or 400I as a tie breaker. Thanks for sharing your measurements and observations.

Yeah, I'm guessing HE400i vary more than average. Remember that most headphones can vary up AND down by 3dB at any point in the FR spectrum. Which means at the extremes, two sets might vary by 6dB, which is quite a lot.

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #10,299 of 14,386
I always enjoy the insight in your comments, always better thought out than mY own! I recall you were concerned about the setup, specifically the ear pad seal. When I'm concerned with the fidelity of measurements especially in setup, I prefer to break down the setup and rerun a series of measurements breaking down the setup between measurements to see what variance exist and what my own confidence is in my measurement/technique. You either will see variance which allows you to refine your technique or you are consistent which if you are wrong, I say at least you're consistent. What made the interestING is the observation followed the HM5 ear pads which we expected. My disclaimer here on measurements and variance and such is my experience is not with frequency response measurements.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #10,300 of 14,386

Yes the 400i is more detailed. but i think it comes down to the treble difference. that i cant explain because as you can see in my measurements is roughly the same... 
Maybe the mid-range boost of the 400s kills the treble a little bit?
Yeah, I'm guessing HE400i vary more than average. Remember that most headphones can vary up AND down by 3dB at any point in the FR spectrum. Which means at the extremes, two sets might vary by 6dB, which is quite a lot.

I have uploaded my measurements using Room EQ Wizard, i changed my setup a bit and redone everything.
The results are still the same. 
Keep in mind that i have no option to calibrate my microphone so the measurements will be useful for comparison only..
I will keep it updated if i add something.
The channel difference i measured is also quite alarming.. especially with the velour pads.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B36bRP_3bDSrTFBmUS1oa3JrUEU

Also if anyone has a idea how to calibrate my mic for more comparable results please explain!

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #10,301 of 14,386
@katzolik, one thing that can/might affect you readings is the seal of the ear pad to the pad mounting ring.  I've notice that due to variations in the QC of the ear pads some seem to seal much better than others.  There is also a mod that some do with silicon glue to get a better ear pad to mounting ring seal which helps the bass level.

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #10,302 of 14,386
New HE400i owner here. No bass extension at all, definitely agree with katzolik. So weird for planar! It's like Fang intentionally limited HE400i capabilities after realizing how good HE400i are for the price.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #10,304 of 14,386
  New HE400i owner here. No bass extension at all, definitely agree with katzolik. So weird for planar! It's like Fang intentionally limited HE400i capabilities after realizing how good HE400i are for the price.

There is bass extension, just doesn't have the slam of bass head headphone like a TH-600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back