Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 18, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #9,618 of 14,386
  where can i get a good replacement cable for cheap to replace my 400i's stock one. the stiff cable is finally damaged from the stress of constantly being winded and unwinded i guess. the left side would would constantly cut off constantly unless i move the cable around a bit.

Oppo makes a cable for their PM-1's or 2's that is 1.8 meters long, only $20. Will work with 400i's as long as they have 2.5mm inputs,  http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DHC18&cat=40

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #9,623 of 14,386
Quote:
Don't all 400i use 2.5?

Only the latest ones, the originals came with SMC and the back plate;  This is what mine looks like:

Have since done the sorbothane mod which add a slight but nice improvement in the bass response and smoothing out the treble a little.

I've posted a few times before that I'm one of the few that like the SMC over the 2.5/3.5mm TRS because it provides a more secure connection and seems to wear better over time from my experience.  Had to redo my MDR-7506 3.5mm jack twice and when I tried the 2.5mm in my Beyer DT-990 the jacks started to lose the signal/have some static after a few months so changed them over to mini-XLR which required more cutting to the cups but a much better connector and have been great ever since.

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #9,624 of 14,386
I'm selling my HE-400i for $299 here. It's the old versions with the SMC connectors.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #9,625 of 14,386
I was finally able to demo a HE400i and I have a few questions:
1) I've read about users bending the headband to loosen the clamp, but do any users have any experience with adjusting the headband if the headphones are too big for your head?
When I tried the HE400i, the headphones were so large relative to my head that the bottom of the pads were almost sagging past my chin. I have a small-ish head for an adult. In case anyone was thinking the demo unit might've been loosened over time leading to the awkward fit for me, the demo unit was in really great condition, and the clamp didn't feel loose at all. It's just the shape and large size of the headphone that made it sag on my head. I've had similar experiences with the AKG K612 and Audio Technica AD700 that I've demoed in the past.
I didn't do it to the demo unit of course, but I thought that bending the headband into an 'M' shape might help it sit nicer on my head, but I'm not sure if that'll work. Feedback on this from existing users would help a lot.
2) Just curious for the more adventurous people here, any comments on what tubes may do to the HE400i? I know I can't expect to get the same results with how inconsistent tubes are, but I'm just curious. Specifically, do your tubes do anything to smoothen the somewhat metallic treble on the HE400i?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these questions. Cheers!

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #9,626 of 14,386
  I was finally able to demo a HE400i and I have a few questions:
1) I've read about users bending the headband to loosen the clamp, but do any users have any experience with adjusting the headband if the headphones are too big for your head?
When I tried the HE400i, the headphones were so large relative to my head that the bottom of the pads were almost sagging past my chin. I have a small-ish head for an adult. In case anyone was thinking the demo unit might've been loosened over time leading to the awkward fit for me, the demo unit was in really great condition, and the clamp didn't feel loose at all. It's just the shape and large size of the headphone that made it sag on my head. I've had similar experiences with the AKG K612 and Audio Technica AD700 that I've demoed in the past.
I didn't do it to the demo unit of course, but I thought that bending the headband into an 'M' shape might help it sit nicer on my head, but I'm not sure if that'll work. Feedback on this from existing users would help a lot.
2) Just curious for the more adventurous people here, any comments on what tubes may do to the HE400i? I know I can't expect to get the same results with how inconsistent tubes are, but I'm just curious. Specifically, do your tubes do anything to smoothen the somewhat metallic treble on the HE400i?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these questions. Cheers!

I have a smaller head as well, I use the slider in the last point so that the headphones stay a little high. The headphones look monstrous on my head, as long as I don't get to see them I'm fine. Even with the last setting if you feel them going past your chin, try a sleeve over the headband. A sleeve or two or even a nicely thick/rolled sleeve should give you the height and push the headphones up.

I'm driving mine with a solid state amp Schiit Asgard 2, no experience with the tubes. Cheers!

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #9,627 of 14,386
Definitely fix the fit, because if they're going as far down as you say, you're not getting a good seal and that will absolutely negatively impact the sound quality. Like the other guy said, adding buffers around the pad is your best bet. The issue isn't the metal band, bending it any sort of way won't fix your problem. The problem is the pleather headband not going low enough. Try wrapping some stuff around it to see if that fixes it. They make additional headband covers, but I don't know if any fit the HE400i

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #9,628 of 14,386
  I have a smaller head as well, I use the slider in the last point so that the headphones stay a little high. The headphones look monstrous on my head, as long as I don't get to see them I'm fine. Even with the last setting if you feel them going past your chin, try a sleeve over the headband. A sleeve or two or even a nicely thick/rolled sleeve should give you the height and push the headphones up.

I'm driving mine with a solid state amp Schiit Asgard 2, no experience with the tubes. Cheers!

Ah yes, forgot a sleeve would be an option. If I get the HE400i will definitely look into DIYing one for myself. Thanks!

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #9,629 of 14,386
Definitely fix the fit, because if they're going as far down as you say, you're not getting a good seal and that will absolutely negatively impact the sound quality. Like the other guy said, adding buffers around the pad is your best bet. The issue isn't the metal band, bending it any sort of way won't fix your problem. The problem is the pleather headband not going low enough. Try wrapping some stuff around it to see if that fixes it. They make additional headband covers, but I don't know if any fit the HE400i

Yup, I forgot about sleeves. If I get a HE400i I'll probably DIY and make one for myself using foam, buttons and some cloth. The headphones, when I demoed them, sealed fine, they just didn't feel very secure or comfortable, like they'll fall off my head if I look down.
Thanks for the feedback, will not bend them like I originally thought I had to. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back