Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 23, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #9,031 of 14,386
I picked up a lyr 2 and bifrost MB. what tubes do you recommend for the lyr 2?

Telefunken CCa, Siemens Lorenz gold pins, Amperex PQ gold pins, Mullard gold pins

Voskhods Rockets, Reflectors 74 or 75, Gold Lion, Re-issue Electro Harmonix, re-issue Mullards

RCA clear tops, other year Reflectors, Sylvania Jan, Valvo

Funnily enough I just ordered the Ember and was wondering the same thing about what tubes would suit the he400i, i ended up talking to Jeremy at g1217 and he recommended the 6n6p or the 6n30p for my needs, so that may or may not be a good recommendation for the lyr 2, this is of course my first start into the world of tube amps too so I'm not exactly the best source, but i figured since i just had the same question I'd put in my 2 cents

I have stayed with 12XXX tubes but have 3 6SN7 tubes that require the adapter.

Telefunken 12AU7, re-issue Mullard, Gold Lion, re-issue Electro Harmonix

Half of my modest tube collection, most of what is not shown are just duplicates of what is shown

Hope this is enough info to get both of you started, and sorry to your wallet
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #9,032 of 14,386
These are for my Lyr:

6DJ8, 6922, 7308, 6N23P, E188CC, CCa's and when I want SS I use Schiit LISST...

May 23, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #9,033 of 14,386
@DavidA have you tried your TH 600 with a tube amp? If so, which one, what tubes were best with it? I'm considering getting a modest tube amp as I do sometimes want a little euphoric sound and I suspect with the right match, the TH600 could be nice with a tube amp.

May 23, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #9,034 of 14,386
  Telefunken CCa, Siemens Lorenz gold pins, Amperex PQ gold pins, Mullard gold pins

Voskhods Rockets, Reflectors 74 or 75, Gold Lion, Re-issue Electro Harmonix, re-issue Mullards

Half of my modest tube collection, most of what is not shown are just duplicates of what is shown

biggrin.gif

These are for my Lyr:

6DJ8, 6922, 7308, 6N23P, E188CC, CCa's and when I want SS I use Schiit LISST...

Oh man, what have I gotten myself into by getting into the tube amp world... Oh well, I must embrace the tube.

May 23, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #9,035 of 14,386
Any of you have experience with the old Stax Lambda electrostats? Curious how they compare with 400i.

May 23, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #9,036 of 14,386

Oh man, what have I gotten myself into by getting into the tube amp world... Oh well, I must embrace the tube.

You'll be fine! 

DavidA, My entire 2 channel stereo is tube so i'm no stranger to the world of tube hunting.  I'm excited to roll some 6922s into the Lyr!  I don't have much experience with 6922s, so what is a good neutral sounding tube with a bit of warmth and good dynamics? and quiet!

May 23, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #9,037 of 14,386
  @DavidA have you tried your TH 600 with a tube amp? If so, which one, what tubes were best with it? I'm considering getting a modest tube amp as I do sometimes want a little euphoric sound and I suspect with the right match, the TH600 could be nice with a tube amp.

The Lyr2 or Ember both work quite well but if you want to keep it "modest" then I would go with the Ember, tubes are cheaper and having the adjustable output resistance/impedance helps to tailor the sound a little.  Since I know the highs of the TH-600 bother you a little I would get a NOS Mullard or Amperex PQ if you can find them for under $50.

Quote:

Don't worry, you can use the tubes that come with the amp for a while until you can do some research in to the sound signature that you like.

Quote:
Any of you have experience with the old Stax Lambda electrostats? Curious how they compare with 400i.

I don't have a Lambda but a SRD-34 (not a true electrostat) and SR-009, the HE-400i has a different type sound from either of them, the SRD-34 is a warmer fuller sounding headphone while the SR-009 has a better sound stage, details, extension in the highs, and just about everything else except its not as forgiving of sub-par tracks like the HE-400i (which is not the most forgiving either)

May 25, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #9,040 of 14,386
Whst can I do to make my stock 400i become more alive and more open?

If you provide some info on your current set up it might make it easier for others to give some recommendations.  You could also put the info in your profile so we don't have to ask all the time.

May 25, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #9,041 of 14,386
May 25, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #9,043 of 14,386

biggrin.gif

wow what a collection of tube. It would take a very long time to roll all the tubes lol~ 

May 25, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #9,045 of 14,386
Just ordered a pair of he350's for my office. If they even get close to my 400i's I'll be overjoyed.

Well the jury is certainly out on MD's HE350.  They appear to use the HE400I shell and headband so should be comfortable.  

I think HiFiMan's only other entry into the dynamic models is the Edition S which allows both open and closed operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back