Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 22, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #9,001 of 14,386

I see audio advisor has the 400i + EF100 combo for $750.  Anyone have any experience with that setup?  

I'm also considering LCD-2 and Deckard combo, and being done (I can get the combo for $1550 OTD).  Is the LCD-2/deckard twice as good?

400I + EF100 is a good setup, just don't plan on using the DAC on the EF100.  

The LCD 2 Deckard is just a very different sound than the HE400i EF100.  The LCD2 is more about smoothness, whereas the HE400i is a speed king

May 22, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #9,002 of 14,386

400I + EF100 is a good setup, just don't plan on using the DAC on the EF100.  

The LCD 2 Deckard is just a very different sound than the HE400i EF100.  The LCD2 is more about smoothness, whereas the HE400i is a speed king

Thanks.  So if I listen to heavier and faster music, like tool for example, would the 400i better suit me compared to LCD-2?  

I'm trying to figure out if I'm leaving alot on the table by going with the 400i.  Are there much better options between the 500-1000 price point, or are we talking differences in tuning vs quality?

May 22, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #9,003 of 14,386

I see audio advisor has the 400i + EF100 combo for $750.  Anyone have any experience with that setup?  

I'm also considering LCD-2 and Deckard combo, and being done (I can get the combo for $1550 OTD).  Is the LCD-2/deckard twice as good?

Diminishing returns.  Almost never twice as good for twice as much...

May 22, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #9,004 of 14,386
  I bought a pair of 400i yesterday, and noticed when placing them on my head (or if the earpads pushed against eachother) the left side planar diaphragm flexes enough (from the pressure change) to actually bottom out on the magnet bars.  I verified by removing the grills to see if anything was in there.  So the question is, is this normal?  The right side diaphragm flexes as well, but not enough to bottom out.  Its annoying because you can hear a slight crackle sound when it happens.

Also, I noticed my grills rotate freely, and are only sandwiched in there by the retaining ring on the outside.  Is this normal?

Neither of these issues affect the sound while playing, but seems a little rough around the edges for a $500 headphone.  I got them from Amazon and may be starting to wonder if they were B-stock or something of the like.  I may try another pair from an authorized dealer and compare.  

Lastly, I'm playing through a A&K AK100ii, and typical listening level is around 110-120/150.  So around 70-80% volume.  I picked up an Objective2 from JPS labs to see if that will improve dynamics.  I wanted to keep everything portable, so that was the best battery powered device I could find.  Any feedback is welcomed.

The crackle sound is not too common, have heard a few others with this issue, also happens on the HE-560, if it bothers you I would get a new pair.

The grills may or may not rotate, QC not the best, if you don't like the rotating grills then you could use 1 or 2 small dabs of rubber cement to hold the grills from moving.

I don't use my HE-400i as a portable so can't help you with the last part.

While I have never tried the EF100, it looks like a decent deal with the HE-400i.  The HE-400i was on sale for $300 just a few months ago that is something to consider, for me I would get a amp from Garage 1217, much more flexible for use with different headphones.

Not twice as good, as others have said you are getting into the diminishing returns area.  As for the LCD-2, go to the thread and do a little research since Audeze has done some revisions again, latest version came out in Dec 2015.

May 22, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #9,005 of 14,386

Thanks.  So if I listen to heavier and faster music, like tool for example, would the 400i better suit me compared to LCD-2?  

I'm trying to figure out if I'm leaving alot on the table by going with the 400i.  Are there much better options between the 500-1000 price point, or are we talking differences in tuning vs quality?

Big Tool fan here, owned the 400i, never the LCD2, but heard the fazor version a few times. I personally think the 400i is the better choice as it isn't shrill in the treble at all and the extra energy there will retain some of the bite that music cries for. Ultimately it is a very subjective thing, but I would rather have to cut via EQ than add via EQ so the 400i still seems very safe to me.

May 22, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #9,006 of 14,386
  Big Tool fan here, owned the 400i, never the LCD2, but heard the fazor version a few times. I personally think the 400i is the better choice as it isn't shrill in the treble at all and the extra energy there will retain some of the bite that music cries for. Ultimately it is a very subjective thing, but I would rather have to cut via EQ than add via EQ so the 400i still seems very safe to me.

Hi M,
The LCD-2 is not as easy to drive as the HE-400i, there is a difference in sound when I use the Ember or Lyr2 (I even tried using same tube brands to minimize differences).  The Lyr2 / LCD-2 pairing have usually sounded better than the Ember / LCCD-2 pairing 90% of the time, again its just my preference.  There is also the issue that Audeze has changed the sound signature of them again back in Dec last year.

May 22, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #9,007 of 14,386
  Hi M,
The LCD-2 is not as easy to drive as the HE-400i, there is a difference in sound when I use the Ember or Lyr2 (I even tried using same tube brands to minimize differences).  The Lyr2 / LCD-2 pairing have usually sounded better than the Ember / LCCD-2 pairing 90% of the time, again its just my preference.  There is also the issue that Audeze has changed the sound signature of them again back in Dec last year.

How did they retune the LCD 2? Do you think the 400i is the better choice for heavy metal/prog rock?

May 22, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #9,008 of 14,386
  How did they retune the LCD 2? Do you think the 400i is the better choice for heavy metal/prog rock?

They re-tuned the LCD-2f to have a touch more bass than the original 2f and the highs seems to be reduced a touch.  I listen to very little heavy metal or prog rock but for rock and the little metal that I do listen to I think the HE-400i would be a better choice over the LCD-2f.  But for me I like my RS2e or SennGrado for rock and metal, for me the Grado sound just goes with rock most of the time.

Something fun to do, see if you can find the HE-400i in the pile:

May 22, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #9,009 of 14,386
  They re-tuned the LCD-2f to have a touch more bass than the original 2f and the highs seems to be reduced a touch.  I listen to very little heavy metal or prog rock but for rock and the little metal that I do listen to I think the HE-400i would be a better choice over the LCD-2f.  But for me I like my RS2e or SennGrado for rock and metal, for me the Grado sound just goes with rock most of the time.

Something fun to do, see if you can find the HE-400i in the pile:

Nice pile mate, they are near the DT 880s I think. I do like Grado, but they tend to be bass anemic for my taste. The TH 600 is what I consider good/quite good bass performance. I owned a SR125/SR225i and an HF2, nothing better in Grado.

May 22, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #9,010 of 14,386
  Nice pile mate, they are near the DT 880s I think. I do like Grado, but they tend to be bass anemic for my taste. The TH 600 is what I consider good/quite good bass performance. I owned a SR125/SR225i and an HF2, nothing better in Grado.

Good eyes
k701smile.gif

As for Grados, they are usually bass lite if you leave them stock, try a little dynamat and sorbothane in a wood cup, the bass really gets enhanced, better than HE-400i by quite a bit for the SennGrado and when I had the SR-225e drivers in walnut wood cups.  One thing I did notice is that they become less efficient when the drivers are placed in wood cups and really need a decent amp to have the bass to hit.

May 22, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #9,012 of 14,386

Thanks.  I had the chance to listen to the LCD-2 a few weeks ago, but not with my music library, so no tool.  I do remember it being a pretty lush sound with a lot of body.  I didn't pay attention to speed though.  With the deckard I thought it sounded great for the price.

I'm still not sure about the 400i, and I'm wondering if its because I'm driving it directly from the AK100ii.  It sounds a little hollow and flat.  I hear the speed people are referring to...you can hear the edgy sound of the guitars as they slide their hands to the next note.  Not harsh, just defined.  Will an amp significantly change the tone of the 400i?  Bring it to life...more dynamics and body to the mids?

May 22, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #9,013 of 14,386

Thanks.  I had the chance to listen to the LCD-2 a few weeks ago, but not with my music library, so no tool.  I do remember it being a pretty lush sound with a lot of body.  I didn't pay attention to speed though.  With the deckard I thought it sounded great for the price.

I'm still not sure about the 400i, and I'm wondering if its because I'm driving it directly from the AK100ii.  It sounds a little hollow and flat.  I hear the speed people are referring to...you can hear the edgy sound of the guitars as they slide their hands to the next note.  Not harsh, just defined.  Will an amp significantly change the tone of the 400i?  Bring it to life...more dynamics and body to the mids?

Well, you aren't getting a good comparison when comparing the LCD 2 being driven by a full sized amp while the 400i is driven with an under-powered DAP. If you prefer a lush sound then it is no contest the LCD is the way to go. It will likely be less engaging and lacking some bite, but it will be like a really rich cup of hot chocolate on a cold night. The 400i is certainly faster, more engaging and more vibrant, but those qualities are only a positive if they suit your preferences. You should really hear the 400i out of a proper amp just to be sure.

May 22, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #9,014 of 14,386
  Well, you aren't getting a good comparison when comparing the LCD 2 being driven by a full sized amp while the 400i is driven with an under-powered DAP. If you prefer a lush sound then it is no contest the LCD is the way to go. It will likely be less engaging and lacking some bite, but it will be like a really rich cup of hot chocolate on a cold night. The 400i is certainly faster, more engaging and more vibrant, but those qualities are only a positive if they suit your preferences. You should really hear the 400i out of a proper amp just to be sure.

Thank you.  You've confirmed what I was worried about with the amping.  Do you think the O2 would be enough to give it a fair comparison?  Otherwise, I'll need to take the 400i to a local store to demo with the LCD-2/deckard.  Also, what do you think about a deckard/400i setup?

May 22, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #9,015 of 14,386

Thank you.  You've confirmed what I was worried about with the amping.  Do you think the O2 would be enough to give it a fair comparison?  Otherwise, I'll need to take the 400i to a local store to demo with the LCD-2/deckard.  Also, what do you think about a deckard/400i setup?

As a past owner of a ODAC/O2, it was not a good match with the HE-400i, way to bright sounding for me.

I would think the Deckard would drive the HE-400i quite well as the LCD-2 and HE-400i are fairly similar.  I don't know much about the Deckard since it doesn't seem to get much mention on the threads that I visit.

As @Sonic Defender says between the HE-400i and LCD-2 its more of the preference to what you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back