Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 22, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #9,016 of 14,386
Deckard

Matrix HPA-3U (M stage)

biggrin.gif

Lehmann Audio
wink_face.gif

May 22, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #9,019 of 14,386
I am running my HE-400i's with a Project Starlight running the default OpAmps and a RCA Cleartop 12ua7 tube. I feed that either from a Emotiva Stealth DC-1 or my Schiit Fulla. The tube is huge game changer for me. Sounds amazing.

May 22, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #9,020 of 14,386
I just had a thought pop in my head...

With proper amplification feeding the 400i, is it accurate to compare it to the light airy openness of the HD800S with a little less resolving power?  I've listened to both the HD800S and LCD-2 in the weeks prior, and after listening to the 400i I feel like its sits between these two headphones in terms of tonality and resolving power.  

May 22, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #9,022 of 14,386
  I just had a thought pop in my head...

With proper amplification feeding the 400i, is it accurate to compare it to the light airy openness of the HD800S with a little less resolving power?  I've listened to both the HD800S and LCD-2 in the weeks prior, and after listening to the 400i I feel like its sits between these two headphones in terms of tonality and resolving power.  

I would have to say no, only because when I heard the HE-400i driven by TOTL amps like Liquid Gold, EC Balancing Act, Liquid Glass, MHA-100 and a few others it didn't scale much, if any over what I get from my Lyr2 with good tubes while the HD-800/800S were so much better than the HE-400i on those amps.  The differences are also somewhat dependent on the genre of music you listen to, if you listen to jazz and classical the HE-400i can't compete with the HD-800/S, if you listen to rock, pop, country, and older music that may not be mastered as well then the differences become less noticeable.  To me the different headphones is like getting the right tool for the job (genre).

May 22, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #9,023 of 14,386
  I would have to say no, only because when I heard the HE-400i driven by TOTL amps like Liquid Gold, EC Balancing Act, Liquid Glass, MHA-100 and a few others it didn't scale much, if any over what I get from my Lyr2 with good tubes while the HD-800/800S were so much better than the HE-400i on those amps.  The differences are also somewhat dependent on the genre of music you listen to, if you listen to jazz and classical the HE-400i can't compete with the HD-800/S, if you listen to rock, pop, country, and older music that may not be mastered as well then the differences become less noticeable.  To me the different headphones is like getting the right tool for the job (genre).

So I've seen Schiit being thrown around a lot in here (sorry had to :wink:).  Is the brand good?  Would you recommend the lyr2 for the 400i?  I'd like to stay around $500 for an amp.  I'll probably run the AK100ii into the amp for now.

Oh man, now I'm considering a Lyr2 and Bifrost Multibit combo.  Would that pair well with the 400i, and offer a good platform for additional headphones down the road?

I apologize for the multi posts.  I've been researching all weekend (at the expense of studying for school) and I just want to make up my mind already!

May 22, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #9,024 of 14,386

So I've seen Schiit being thrown around a lot in here (sorry had to :wink:).  Is the brand good?  Would you recommend the lyr2 for the 400i?  I'd like to stay around $500 for an amp.  I'll probably run the AK100ii into the amp for now.

Oh man, now I'm considering a Lyr2 and Bifrost Multibit combo.  Would that pair well with the 400i, and offer a good platform for additional headphones down the road?

I apologize for the multi posts.  I've been researching all weekend (at the expense of studying for school) and I just want to make up my mind already!

Love my Asgard 2/Bifrost 4490 (from my research I decided the Bimby wasn't personally worth the extra money) with my HE-400i and 560, powers them very well. I bet the Lyr 2/Bimby option would be great as well.

May 23, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #9,025 of 14,386
Is there a difference between the "pre-production" Focus-A and what's currently available?

I have one set of the current Focus-A pads, a bit more comfortable if your ears touch the edges.  As for sound, it does smooth out the highs a touch but not in a good way to me, the highs of the HE-400i are not as extended compared to the HE-560 so the highs get a little too smoothed out for me.

Ah ok, and yeah i was talking about the current Focus-A, which is definitely the same as the pre-production pads because Hifiman says so on their website. I do like smooth treble, i guess i should try and get my hands on the A's to see if it is for me, even if the treble is less extended.

May 23, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #9,026 of 14,386

What other headphones do you have?  If only for the HE-400i then the Lyr2 will work quite well but I like the flexibility of the Ember more, the tubes it uses are cheaper and you only need one unless you start going for some really exotic dual tubes with adapters. 

If you are willing to spend some $$$ on tubes then the Lyr2 will be better than the Ember in the long run but some of the really good tubes for the Lyr2 are $200+/pair, most of the good ones range from $25 to $100.

As @520RanchBro noted the Bifrost MB is not worth it, I have one and the old Uber is not far behind, I think the 4490 is a better DAC and cheaper.

May 23, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #9,027 of 14,386
  What other headphones do you have?  If only for the HE-400i then the Lyr2 will work quite well but I like the flexibility of the Ember more, the tubes it uses are cheaper and you only need one unless you start going for some really exotic dual tubes with adapters. 

If you are willing to spend some $$$ on tubes then the Lyr2 will be better than the Ember in the long run but some of the really good tubes for the Lyr2 are $200+/pair, most of the good ones range from $25 to $100.

As @520RanchBro noted the Bifrost MB is not worth it, I have one and the old Uber is not far behind, I think the 4490 is a better DAC and cheaper.

I only have se846 IEMs and the 400i.  I have a feeling I will pick up LCD-2/X and/or HD800S in the future.  The Lyr 2 seems to fit the bill for all of the current and future headphones.

Just so I'm clear, you're saying get the Bifrost, but don't spend the extra money for the multibit.  Please help me understand.  Is the 4490 just the standard bifrost?

May 23, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #9,028 of 14,386

I only have se846 IEMs and the 400i.  I have a feeling I will pick up LCD-2/X and/or HD800S in the future.  The Lyr 2 seems to fit the bill for all of the current and future headphones.

Just so I'm clear, you're saying get the Bifrost, but don't spend the extra money for the multibit.  Please help me understand.  Is the 4490 just the standard bifrost?

If you are thinking of HD-800/S in the future then I would look at another amp, I have a BH Crack for my HD-800, T1 and other high Z headphones, much better than the Lyr2 from my experience so far.  While the Lyr2 or the Ember will work and drive them the sound is not as good as what I've heard from most OTL amps like the BH Crack or WA2.

The LCD-2 and LCD-X are different headphones with a different design goal to me, the LCD-X is easier to drive and has a slightly more neutral sound to me.

The 4490 Bifrost is the normal/standard Bifrost while the MB is the more expensive one.

May 23, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #9,030 of 14,386
I picked up a lyr 2 and bifrost MB. what tubes do you recommend for the lyr 2?

Funnily enough I just ordered the Ember and was wondering the same thing about what tubes would suit the he400i, i ended up talking to Jeremy at g1217 and he recommended the 6n6p or the 6n30p for my needs, so that may or may not be a good recommendation for the lyr 2, this is of course my first start into the world of tube amps too so I'm not exactly the best source, but i figured since i just had the same question I'd put in my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back