Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 4, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #7,486 of 14,386
This has probably been posted at least once in the 499! pages of posts, but I have had some time with the HE-400i and the Modi 2U and the Asgard 2 (SS, class A) and it find it to be a very nice pair.  The bass is stronger and very detailed and I find it mellows the highs slightly.  I had found the highs at time a bit unpleasant for certain songs such that it limited my volume.  That is gone with the Asgard.  Plus, it is a nice solid amp for the price point, if you figure the 400i's are $500, then the amp is $250, and the Modi 2U at $150.  Seems like a good $ ratio. 

Instead of just sampling revealing parts of numerous songs I end up just listening to the entire song instead of just a portion, which is a sign that it sounds good since I am drawn in to listen to the entire song. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #7,487 of 14,386
I had the Asgard 2 for about a month. I remember it being a little toward bright myself. Mind you that was with the HE 560, never tried it with the 400i.

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #7,488 of 14,386
  I had the Asgard 2 for about a month. I remember it being a little toward bright myself. Mind you that was with the HE 560, never tried it with the 400i.

I suppose it is relative.  I find it smooths out the highs compared to my TEAC HA-P50.  What amp did you find it bright in comparison too?  I find myself sensitive (in a bad way) to certain high sounds, probably in the 6k to 10k hz range. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #7,489 of 14,386

I suppose it is relative.  I find it smooths out the highs compared to my TEAC HA-P50.  What amp did you find it bright in comparison too?  I find myself sensitive (in a bad way) to certain high sounds, probably in the 6k to 10k hz range. 

I moved from the Asgard 2 to the Yulong A18 and I did find the A18 a little more in line with my preferences, but the A2 wasn't at all bad, in fact it was quite good. Audio memory is notoriously unreliable so perhaps I remember the A2 as brighter than it actually was? That is also possible.

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #7,490 of 14,386
My m9xx has shipped, so I'm looking forward to getting them in and trying them out with my 400is. Overall, I enjoy the 400i but find it a little brighter than what I'm used to. Hopefully the m9xx will tame some of the treble peaks.

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #7,491 of 14,386
  My m9xx has shipped, so I'm looking forward to getting them in and trying them out with my 400is. Overall, I enjoy the 400i but find it a little brighter than what I'm used to. Hopefully the m9xx will tame some of the treble peaks.

Have you swapped the pads so that the thickest part of the pad is forward instead of in the back? It made a big difference for me and makes the HE-400i listenable.

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #7,492 of 14,386
  Have you swapped the pads so that the thickest part of the pad is forward instead of in the back? It made a big difference for me and makes the HE-400i listenable.

I haven't tried that, but I have no idea how to even get the pads off without destroying something. Can anybody refer to me an instructional video or a page where it explains that?

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #7,493 of 14,386
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knqDryw8mNw

You pinch in on the earpad and pull / push in towards the center. The biggest thing is to not touch the center where the driver rests. I have done it a ton so no worries.

Also try not to bang the headphones together while you do this or you may scratch your headphones.

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #7,496 of 14,386

wait, so you turn the pads around so it images behind you and, ...what, tames treble? Never heard of this lol

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #7,498 of 14,386
Can't you just plug the cable in backwards then turn them around?

Lol yeah, not sure why you'd take the pads off and flip them when simply reversing the cables does the same thing. Also I've tried this and thought soundstage was worse, but soundstage is so individualistic IMHO.

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #7,499 of 14,386

so, since I gave the tube side a shout out yesterday, as far as HE400i matches go, guess I'll give solid state combo units a shout out today.  Been A/Bing the Chord Mojo with the Grace m9XX the last 10 days are so.  Both are ****really**** freaking good with the HE400i.  Both of these amps really push for the idea of neutrality, transparency, musicality and dynamicism.  They don't push out "false detail" like some DACs do "sharpening the edges" in a false way.  The amp section of both are just dead neutral and punchy.  Not an amp I would get if you want to "fix" the sound of the HE400i.  If you like the way the HE400i sound, but just want a DAC/amp to get out of the way and let these babies sing, these are the units for you.  

As far as a recommendation for one or the other, to my ears they sound borderline identical.  If you're trying to decide between them, choose based on what functionality and form you need, not sound quality.  Sound quality they're a dead heat.  The m9XX remains my overall, "do everything" favorite amp with the HE400i (above any tube amp).  But if I needed a portable solution, the Mojo would be what I would go for, without hesitation.  Ultimately I like the features and form of the m9XX slightly better for how I use it.  But both certainly let the HE400i show off it's considerable (and in my opinion underrated) muscle.  

I wonder how similar the m9xx and m920 are, sound-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back