Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 17, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #6,991 of 14,386
  So I took off my ear pads out of curiosity and noticed on both sides that the diaphrams are wrinkled.  Anyone else have this issue? Is this cause for concern?

haha :)
it is not wrinkled, that is the normal structure.
the "wrinkles" are the conductor material so the magnets can pull&push the diaphragm.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #6,992 of 14,386

I stop playing music, then turn off my DAC, then turn off my amp, then unplug the headphones.

I think thats the startup routine, no need to take the hp out, when you turn off go upstream, pause, turn vol to 0 on the amp ,turn the amp off then the source, when turn on,turn on the dac, pause, roll the voll to 0, turn the amp 

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #6,995 of 14,386
depends on the amp if you should put the headphone before of after, but all the new amps have a short circuit/open circuit protection atleast most of them, but yes its up/downstream according to turn on and turn off.

you have to stop the signal coming in to kind of discharge the amp circuit so that turn off is soft that is pause it,as the dac could have a turn off transient which would be amplified by the amp, so to stop that you need to pause and then first stop the power stage.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #6,996 of 14,386
Theoretical "right way" is:

When turning on: volume on amp at 0, turn DAC on, turn amp on, plug headphones in, turn amp volume up.
When turning off: volume on amp at 0, unplug headphones, turn amp off, turn DAC off.

On well made modern gear this doesn't matter. But on my home built starving student and this one crappy DAC I have, you can hear audible pops if you do it out of order; not good for the headphone. And pulling the headphones out in a non circuit protected amp at high volume can cause a current overload that can potentially fry the amp/tubes, especially if it's class A.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #6,997 of 14,386
Theoretical "right way" is:

When turning on: volume on amp at 0, turn DAC on, turn amp on, plug headphones in, turn amp volume up.
When turning off: volume on amp at 0, unplug headphones, turn amp off, turn DAC off.

On well made modern gear this doesn't matter. But on my home built starving student and this one crappy DAC I have, you can hear audible pops if you do it out of order; not good for the headphone. And pulling the headphones out in a non circuit protected amp at high volume can cause a current overload that can potentially fry the amp/tubes, especially if it's class A.

I believe I read somewhere that my schiit stack didn't need to go by this process. I may do it anyway just to get in the habit if I ever do get equipment that has this method.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #6,998 of 14,386
I believe I read somewhere that my schiit stack didn't need to go by this process. I may do it anyway just to get in the habit if I ever do get equipment that has this method.

Yeah, not necessary on any Schiit gear. But not bad to be in the habit.

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #6,999 of 14,386
there is a pop almost in every gear the thing is it muted or controlled but its there almost in every gear, you can hear it.

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #7,000 of 14,386
I had been reading through this thread and considering buying a pair used but ended up randomly checking Amazon yesterday and buying a pair for $299.  At least I can return them if I don't care for what I hear.

I'm expecting to like them a lot though, from the reviews I've read.  Hopefully they go well with my NAD D 1050.  I've got an old tube amp I could hook up but not much room for it where I will be using these most of the time.

We will see.  Mostly just had to tell somebody.  
smily_headphones1.gif

-Chris

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #7,001 of 14,386
Yeah you were pretty lucky because I think the amazon sale for $299 he-400i's just popped up yesterday night for me. Just picked up my own pair locally for $650 CAD and love them. Been trying to test them out with a E17k and they sound wonderful.

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #7,002 of 14,386
  Yeah you were pretty lucky because I think the amazon sale for $299 he-400i's just popped up yesterday night for me. Just picked up my own pair locally for $650 CAD and love them. Been trying to test them out with a E17k and they sound wonderful.

Ouch, man you couldn't have picked a worse time to buy with our dollar so damn low. Did you look for used in the Canadian market such as canuckaudiomart?

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #7,004 of 14,386
  yeah I should have... Anyway its fine. Ill look into canuckaudiomart now that you mentioned it :) Would be a great place to look for my next pair of headphones. Thanks Sonic for the tip ;____;

No problem, canuckaudiomart is awesome. I sell and buy there almost more than here now. Much faster I find and at least it is with sellers/buyers in our currency and no duties to worry about. I've had some pretty sick deal there and the headphone/head amps/dac section is usually pretty darn full of quality gear right up to stuff like HE 1000s etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back