Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 15, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #6,962 of 14,386

I received two of these cables from OPPO today. They are extremely thin and flexible. They work great with my 400I and 400S. No clearance issues, and they sound just like my stock HIFIMAN cables.

It comes with a 3.5 mm plug. No 6.5 mm. But, most of us have lots of adapters.

Would you happen to know if it is the same material used to sleeve it as the pm3?  I didn't care for the cable that came with the pm3.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #6,963 of 14,386

Would you happen to know if it is the same material used to sleeve it as the pm3?  I didn't care for the cable that came with the pm3.

What size are the plugs for the cups on the PM-3 ? These cables were clearly marked for PM-1 and PM-2.

I don't know if the cable is the same as the PM-3.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #6,965 of 14,386
  The PM-3 cable is a single side 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm...

I think he asking about the physical build of the cables.

I can't answer that question. Sorry.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #6,968 of 14,386

I have both a PM3 and 400i and no the cable sleeving material is completely different. The Oppo is much softer and completely flexible. The 400i cable is quite stiff and rather annoying truth be told.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #6,969 of 14,386
I have both a PM3 and 400i and no the cable sleeving material is completely different. The Oppo is much softer and completely flexible. The 400i cable is quite stiff and rather annoying truth be told.

Out of curiosity, are the sound signatures between the two pretty similar?

I've had my eye on the Pm-3 for a while, but I'm leaning toward the Audio-Technica MSR7s because they're also good, and half the price.

For reference, I love the HE-400i, but wish it was a touch bassier.

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #6,972 of 14,386
So as I said before, I've been listening to my HE-400i with the Brainwavz pads on, and I can't recommend them enough.  When I first got my HE-400i, I liked them a fair amount.  I found them similar to my beloved HD-600 with a bit more bass extension, but they didn't quite wrap me in warm happiness the way the HD-600s did.  They never had that mind-blowing bass I expected from planars, With the Brainwavz pads on though.... hhhnnnnngggg

Comfort: Better.... kind of.  The part of the pads that contact your head have a smaller total surface area than the Focus Pads, which means there is a bit more pressure on your head where the pad makes contact. The increased depth of the pads also increase the clamping force.   The BW pads dont put pressure on my TMJ though... so I like them better overall.

Bass: Better extension, texture, body, slam.  Closer to what you expect when you think of "planar bass"

Vocals: Smooth and musical  Gone is the metallic sound of the vocals, replaced by silky smooth goodness.  

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #6,973 of 14,386
So as I said before, I've been listening to my HE-400i with the Brainwavz pads on, and I can't recommend them enough.  When I first got my HE-400i, I liked them a fair amount.  I found them similar to my beloved HD-600 with a bit more bass extension, but they didn't quite wrap me in warm happiness the way the HD-600s did.  They never had that mind-blowing bass I expected from planars, With the Brainwavz pads on though.... hhhnnnnngggg

Comfort: Better.... kind of.  The part of the pads that contact your head have a smaller total surface area than the Focus Pads, which means  The increased depth of the pads also increase the clamping force.   The BW pads dont put pressure on my TMJ though... so I like them better overall.

Bass: Better extension, texture, body, slam.  Closer to what you expect when you think of "planar bass"

Vocals: Smooth and musical  Gone is the metallic sound of the vocals, replaced by silky smooth goodness.  

Which Brainwavz plads are you using?

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #6,974 of 14,386
Out of curiosity, are the sound signatures between the two pretty similar?

I've had my eye on the Pm-3 for a while, but I'm leaning toward the Audio-Technica MSR7s because they're also good, and half the price.

For reference, I love the HE-400i, but wish it was a touch bassier.

The Oppo are fantastic and honestly IMO are worth saving up for. I listened briefly, but the tonal balance of the vocals was a great combo of detail, smoothness/liquidity, and being bright/clear. not too bright, just right. never heard the MSR7 but I heard it was brighter than the top end of M50, which for me is a no-no. Different strokes though. I listened too briefly to confidently compare to 400i without giving you any wrong info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back