Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 15, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #6,946 of 14,386

I will do my best, though I keep my impressions pretty short usually as I'm not the best when it comes to picking out specific differences.

Mine will arrive in 4 weeks :frowning2: Too expensive to ship to Australia since i'd have to pay 10% GST on top of that so used drop ship US>VN and get my sister to bring it back to Australia for me next month. How heavy is the whole shebang with the case .. 2.5kg?

I will have plenty of time to decide on my AmpDac :) Let me know if your stack is good enough 

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #6,947 of 14,386
700-900gms i guess

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #6,948 of 14,386
Mine will arrive in 4 weeks :frowning2: Too expensive to ship to Australia since i'd have to pay 10% GST on top of that so used drop ship US>VN and get my sister to bring it back to Australia for me next month. How heavy is the whole shebang with the case .. 2.5kg?

I will have plenty of time to decide on my AmpDac :) Let me know if your stack is good enough 

It has enough power. It is sitting right about at 1w at 70ohms. As for volume, I can barely push the knob past 10 o'clock.

I'm not sure how heavy, but ups had the whole package listed at 7.7lbs, which seems a little much. I wouldn't have guessed more than 4. The case is the heaviest part, the thing is a beautiful monster.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #6,950 of 14,386
Hey guys i have a question.

What EQ programs do you use on windows?
A friend of mine has one to test at home and never used an EQ before and wants to play around a bit.

He likes a slight u-shape, maybe some suggestions how to set it?
Some pictures of your EQ curves with the type of program would be really appretiated :)

Greetings, Mario

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #6,952 of 14,386
I'm thinking of getting a set of Brainwavz angled pads. They're thicker than Hifiman's pads and they have a larger angle which I find can help give the soundstage more width. I don't know how well they fit but I read on one review someone used them on a HE-500 so I don't see why they wouldn't fit on the 400i.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #6,953 of 14,386
I'm thinking of getting a set of Brainwavz angled pads. They're thicker than Hifiman's pads and they have a larger angle which I find can help give the soundstage more width. I don't know how well they fit but I read on one review someone used them on a HE-500 so I don't see why they wouldn't fit on the 400i.

Hey, I just tried this unsuccessfully. The new HIFIMAN stock pads have a plastic clip that holds the pad in place. These plastic clips used to be removable, but are no longer. You need one of these clips to get the Brainwavz pads to fit. To my knowledge, the only way to do accomplish this is to destroy a pair of current HIFIMAN pads to remove the glued-on clip. Then, you can wedge the clip into the Brainwavz pads, and attach to the HIFIMAN headphones. The cheapest HIFIMAN pads are the VelPads, which cost $15. The Brainwavz angled pads are $25, so it'll run you $40 to do this mod. 

If you do this mod, please report back, as I was curious about it myself and didn't like the idea of destroying a perfectly good pair of pads for a clip that probably costs $2.

Since they made this change to the design of the pads, it's made adding aftermarket pads, such as the Brainwavz ones more difficult. 

@hanostek has done multiple HIFIMAN mods and may be able to point you in the right direction. I ultimately decided to get a pair of the Focus A pads, which are said to slightly increase bass and slighty tame the treble. 

Good luck either way!

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #6,954 of 14,386

Except for the sound signature. 
tongue.gif

Regarding cables, I found that OPPO sells the PM-1/2 1.8 meter cable for $19 + $5 shipping.
Nice length and it comes in a straight jack. Not to mention it's from OPPO...
Can anyone confirm if there are no clearance issues on the 400i with the PM-1/2 plugs?

https://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DHC18

I received two of these cables from OPPO today. They are extremely thin and flexible. They work great with my 400I and 400S. No clearance issues, and they sound just like my stock HIFIMAN cables.

It comes with a 3.5 mm plug. No 6.5 mm. But, most of us have lots of adapters.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #6,955 of 14,386

Hey, I just tried this unsuccessfully. The new HIFIMAN stock pads have a plastic clip that holds the pad in place. These plastic clips used to be removable, but are no longer. You need one of these clips to get the Brainwavz pads to fit. To my knowledge, the only way to do accomplish this is to destroy a pair of current HIFIMAN pads to remove the glued-on clip. Then, you can wedge the clip into the Brainwavz pads, and attach to the HIFIMAN headphones. The cheapest HIFIMAN pads are the VelPads, which cost $15. The Brainwavz angled pads are $25, so it'll run you $40 to do this mod. 

If you do this mod, please report back, as I was curious about it myself and didn't like the idea of destroying a perfectly good pair of pads for a clip that probably costs $2.

Since they made this change to the design of the pads, it's made adding aftermarket pads, such as the Brainwavz ones more difficult. 

@hanostek has done multiple HIFIMAN mods and may be able to point you in the right direction. I ultimately decided to get a pair of the Focus A pads, which are said to slightly increase bass and slighty tame the treble. 

Good luck either way!

Thanks for the reminder. I was thinking of getting the Brainwavz but later I bought the cheaper velPads, but feel that one is not soft and comfotable enough. How are the Focus A pads? Do you think they are more comfortable than the stock ones? And what is the difference between Focus and Focus A pads?

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #6,958 of 14,386
  Nice!  Was it a pain making them fit?  Would I have to destroy a pair of pads as mentioned above to use the ring?  

You might be able to use them without the ring but you would severely stretch them. They are a stretch to even get over the ring.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #6,959 of 14,386
  Nice!  Was it a pain making them fit?  Would I have to destroy a pair of pads as mentioned above to use the ring?  

The hardest part was keeping the little bit of extra Audeze pad material from slipping out of the ring while inserting the ring back on the headphone. I did also have to destroy the stock pads by peeling the glued rings off of them. As far as I know you can order another pair of rings from Hifiman so that you don't have to ruin a pair of pads, if desired.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #6,960 of 14,386

try emailing hifiman customer service.  You will need a ring though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back