Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 17, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #7,006 of 14,386
AAAAAAAAAAAAA ;_____; well ive been looking into my next pair which might be an LCD2. Ill drop a msg over at the LCD2 head-fi thread when i have enough cash and maybe a friendly canadian/torontonian can drop theirs on canuckaudio next time (´°ω°`)

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #7,007 of 14,386
  Hi guys, I'm using a HE-400i with my setup: PC > Schitt Wyrd > HRT Music Streamer II > Schiit magni 2 Uber. Is it worthwhile to upgrade the Music Streamer to a modi 2 uber for the consistency with other components? Or will it be a degrade over the HRT Music Streamer II?

Short answer: likely yes.
Longer answer: I have HRT MSII for many ears now, and had original Modi for short time. That Modi was a slightest upgrade to MSII, more smooth/musical at a cost of some detail. I expect much more out of Modi 2 uber.
MSII is OK, but it has fairly grainy sound, and 400i is going to render that grain faithfully. Also, if you like piano music, MSII is not so good for it.

Off-topic: I am surprised you needed Wyrd for MSII - one of its strong sides is USB noise rejection (Modi and Bifrost were not so great at it).

As for conversation on on/off procedures: I follow it faithfully with Bottlehead Crack and totally neglect it with my other gear. As for 'no need to be careful around Schiit gear', true for their current offerings, not so true for original Asgard, so YMMV.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #7,008 of 14,386
  AAAAAAAAAAAAA ;_____; well ive been looking into my next pair which might be an LCD2. Ill drop a msg over at the LCD2 head-fi thread when i have enough cash and maybe a friendly canadian/torontonian can drop theirs on canuckaudio next time (´°ω°`)

IMO, you should buy the Fostex TH-X00 from Massdrop instead of the LCD-2.  (If there's another batch of course.)

The TH-X00 are better than the LCD-2 and only $400 USD.

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #7,018 of 14,386
Btw just how good are the thx00 anyways compared to other mid fi cans like hd600 hd650 dt880(600Ω) k7xx 400i ect.. Think its worth adding it to my rotation?

You may probably get a better answer to that question in the X00 thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/788776/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review

Compared to the 400i it is a completely different beast. Fun, u-shaped vs neutral. They compliment each other extremely well.

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #7,019 of 14,386
I sold my TH-X00's and bought the 400i's. Very happy. I the TH-x00 does some things better but the 400i's perform better overall. My issue with the TH-X00's, before and after burn in, was the weirdness of the bass. A little overblown and loose. Not the case with the 400i's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back