Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 8, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #6,046 of 14,386

Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting this
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=35

Is there any particular reason why I would choose this over the extender?
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=34

2.5m extender is 37 euro shipped. Total length will be 4m since the stock cable is 1.5m. I assume that this cable is compatible with other headphones cables as well as long as the plug is correct?
3m cable is 56 euro shipped

The first choice will work with any headphone. The second choice is specific for your HE 400I. ( With the proper terminations.)

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #6,048 of 14,386
  I'm curious what ambient electronic music you listen to as I also listen to a lot of that stuff.  I did not get the impression that most of it is poorly recorded.  Is there any examples of a more well known song in ambient that is an example of a poorly recorded song?

Been listening to Man of No Ego lately as I just discovered this guys music earlier this week.  Like I said, it could just be burn in or brain burn in.  This is my first planar so I'm still getting used to its characteristics. 

I also listen to a lot of Carbon Based Lifeforms, but I haven't test the 400i with them extensively yet.  Btw, I'm relatively new to this genre, just getting into it a couple years ago (and flourishing the past few months), PM me some recommendations if you like!

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #6,049 of 14,386
Dec 8, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #6,051 of 14,386
  I understand that I can fix it via EQ, however aren't a $300 dollar pair of Headphones supposed to sound good, it seems like a flaw to me though for a spike @ 6-8KHz.

My first pair of IEM with Hifiman was Head Direct RE0 and they sounded absolutely perfect until I lost them.

No headphone is perfect. Most can be "improved" with EQ. The HD800 is a prime example.  What sounds perfect to you may sound poorly to someone else.

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #6,052 of 14,386
  I understand that I can fix it via EQ, however aren't a $300 dollar pair of Headphones supposed to sound good, it seems like a flaw to me though for a spike @ 6-8KHz.

My first pair of IEM with Hifiman was Head Direct RE0 and they sounded absolutely perfect until I lost them.

a lot of people like the mild bump at 8k, as it's what gives them their "forward" presentation.  TO me, these sound a lot more neutral than the Audeze LCD series, which are much darker.  Everybody's ears are different.  On most headphones I actually EQ an extra touch of 8k, so the HE400i sounds about perfect to me.  Also, it does seem to get tamed over burn in, but who knows if this is your brain or the driver relaxing and wearing off some sort of resonance.  When I first bought it I EQ'd 8k down by 4 dB.  Now I EQ it down by about 2dB, which is borderline imperceptible.  It's nowhere near the 8kHz bump that the Grado RS1e has, for example.  Or the old HE400, which had a much larger treble spike.  Heck the TH900, which is a $1300 headphone has a treble spike that makes the HE400i look like a relaxed, boring monitor by comparison.

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #6,053 of 14,386

That's good to hear, in a weird way. After dealing with the X2s having the weird sticker issue, a used e10k being sold as new from Amazon, etc. - I'm increasingly suspicious of my purchases. Not a fan of the fact that there are inconsistencies like this in their production, just raises questions.

Agreed. It is feasible that a return could have accidentally been added to the massive shipment going out from the sale. I never questioned the seller, just wanted to be sure an error didn't occur. 

Mine also didn't have any plastic over the logo, just the cups.  Purchased from Razordog.

Thanks. Good to hear!

I wouldn't really worry about it.  Seems like a lot of people don't have the plastic on theirs that were purchased from different websites.  I doubt that there is a widespread conspiracy to sell used 400i as new.

Agreed. Just wanted to be sure there wasn't an error and a return got bundled in with the new batch. 

Mine came straight from HiFiMan and didn't have the thin plastic over the logo. Just the longer strip going across.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #6,054 of 14,386

If I see anything in the future I'll PM you before I post it here.  Also if I decide I want to upgrade to the HE-X you got first dibs.  But that would be sometime next year at the earliest.  Between the HE400i, Fostex THX00 and Grace M9XX in the last month, my budget for headphones is tapped out for a while.

that is so nice of you. really appreciate that! 
its nice to see good peeps like yourself, help and assist new budding audio enthusiasts.

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #6,056 of 14,386
Mine came straight from HiFiMan and didn't have the thin plastic over the logo. Just the longer strip going across.

Here is a picture of the plastic. FYI I bought these from Razordog and they have the new connectors.

Yeah, that is what the unboxing video showed too. I am not concerned because others had no plastic and ordered direct from Hifiman.

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #6,057 of 14,386
If you want to hear what an amp does in a very easy to hear way on these, listen to the kick drum slam on Muse supermassive black hole. Unamped the impact kind of "wobbles" for lack of a better term as the driver reacts to not having enough current. On an amp with decent power and low impedance it slams hard and holds shape. It's maybe the most clear, easy to point out thing I've heard that shows that amps do more than just make headphones loud enough.

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #6,059 of 14,386
  So basically I'd be better off getting the extender :)?

He said extender. Now imagine Beavis and Butthead voices laughing in the back ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back