Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 7, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #6,001 of 14,386
So listening to ambient electronic stuff, I can't decide which I prefer between my 400i and hd650.  The 400i sounds a tad better, especially that sub bass, but it is also more revealing of the fact that a lot of electronic music (even FLAC) is recorded poorly.

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #6,002 of 14,386
So listening to ambient electronic stuff, I can't decide which I prefer between my 400i and hd650.  The 400i sounds a tad better, especially that sub bass, but it is also more revealing of the fact that a lot of electronic music (even FLAC) is recorded poorly.

Lol, this is basically the definition of "cursing with praise" of the hd650.

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #6,003 of 14,386
Lol, this is basically the definition of "cursing with praise" of the hd650.

Lol, I'm grooving to some "man of no ego" and "carbon based lifeforms" and it sounds fantastic...most of the time haha  (I'm hoping the 400i will become just a tad more forgiving after further burn in, they have already gotten a little better after about 20 hours)

This is in no way a knock on the 400i, but a knock on my picky musical tastes.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #6,004 of 14,386
All you guys talking about burn in. I do think it is possible to get mechanical settling with a dynamic driver, but these are planar so what could possibly be "burning in"?

I have experienced headphones changing sound when new, dynamic drivers. But my understanding of planar technology is that there is nothing that would settle with use. Am I wrong?

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #6,005 of 14,386
All you guys talking about burn in. I do think it is possible to get mechanical settling with a dynamic driver, but these are planar so what could possibly be "burning in"?

I have experienced headphones changing sound when new, dynamic drivers. But my understanding of planar technology is that there is nothing that would settle with use. Am I wrong?

I don't know, could be brain burn in, that debate is probably best for the sound science forum though  
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #6,006 of 14,386
I think it does take some time for your brain to get used to the way planars equally disperse the sounds over the whole driver, as opposed to the hotspots on a dynamic. Planars even put sound on the folds of your outer ear, which when you get used to it, makes for better soundstage depth and more accurate imaging.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #6,008 of 14,386
I think it does take some time for your brain to get used to the way planars equally disperse the sounds over the whole driver, as opposed to the hotspots on a dynamic. Planars even put sound on the folds of your outer ear, which when you get used to it, makes for better soundstage depth and more accurate imaging.

This is very true. Once you go planar, you never go back!

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #6,009 of 14,386

^ I don't know that you're wrong, but a planar still uses a membrane so in theory there could be mechanical adjustment. Personally I believe in brain burn-in as opposed to mechanical burn-in.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #6,010 of 14,386
Please don't listen to your 400i through a phone jack and post about it sounding bad.

eh, I think my 400i sounds pretty incredible through a phone jack.  At this point in my life I refuse to own anything that requires an amp to sound good.  I realized that if a headphone is confined to an amp I'll only listen to it for *maybe* an hour per day, max.  If I can run it from my phone, I can get like 4-5 hours per day.  To me the best improvement in sound quality is being able to enjoy your music more.  Not saying everybody should have that philosophy, but it's my philosophy.  It's also why I think I've found the endgame can for me in the 400i, I've yet to find a better sounding headphone that sounds really good out of an iPhone too.  Of course when you give them HE400i some current and a good DAC, it really improves, especially the transient bass speed and authority.  But it's really freaking good from an iPhone 6S+.  

Now I haven't heard the HE-X, so maybe that could be it, as I have heard that it can be run well from an iPhone, but I'm almost scared to hear that, because it's maybe the only thing that would give me GAS.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #6,011 of 14,386
  hahaha... this is called fate... i literally just called my friend who has this paypal account to arrange for this. guess these are not for me anyways

As someone reported earlier these are back to $300 at Amazon by an authorized dealer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MULH672?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A2XGE4CX5AV74X

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #6,012 of 14,386
  As someone reported earlier these are back to $300 at Amazon by an authorized dealer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MULH672?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A2XGE4CX5AV74X

Dude, I think you stole my daughter's future headfi username:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back