Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 25, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #4,726 of 14,386

I know what you mean about boomy bass on IEMs, but these are different. They are the dark horse of IEMs imo, not so well known because they are only sold by Sony in Japan I believe, but have sound similar to custom IEMs. Mids are never overshadowed by the bass, despite the bass being elevated. Treble is a little sparkly. It's just a really fun and addictive sound signature.

Anyway I don't want to go off topic too much, anybody know headphone similar to the HE-400i but with more bass?

Why don't you just sell your HE-400i and keep the Sonys if you are so happy with them? And it seems that you are. 

Personally I have hard times understanding why anyone would think 400i is lacking in bass and being a disappointing.headphone.

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #4,727 of 14,386
since i cant test a DAC\AMP combo and i can only read and get recommendations, which combo should i get?
Schiit Modi2\Magni2 or O2ODAC?

im sensitive to treble and from what ive been reading, the magni and odac are a bit bright while the modi2 and o2 are neutral and transparent.

so i was thinking to combine (as someone also told me to do this) the O2 with a Modi 2.
any thoughts? maybe someone already did this?
i cant find a review on that combo, guess because you either go with the schiit stack or the o2odac. :\

also, in the reviews they always mention the headband, that its not paded enough.
so i was thinking, is it possible to get headband pad, like the one on the hd600, and put it on the 400i?
someone tried it?

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #4,728 of 14,386
  since i cant test a DAC\AMP combo and i can only read and get recommendations, which combo should i get?
Schiit Modi2\Magni2 or O2ODAC?

im sensitive to treble and from what ive been reading, the magni and odac are a bit bright while the modi2 and o2 are neutral and transparent.

so i was thinking to combine (as someone also told me to do this) the O2 with a Modi 2.
any thoughts? maybe someone already did this?
i cant find a review on that combo, guess because you either go with the schiit stack or the o2odac. :\

also, in the reviews they always mention the headband, that its not paded enough.
so i was thinking, is it possible to get headband pad, like the one on the hd600, and put it on the 400i?
someone tried it?

Do you currently have the HE-400i or are you still in the planning stage of matching dac/amp/headphone?
For the ODAC/O2 most of the time these are built in to one housing and for the Modi2/Magni2 they go together in a nice stack like you mentioned.  Do you have a price range?  If you could I would suggest a Modi2uber (DAC) and Project Ember (amp), about $500 total but you get great flexibility with both of these, the Modi2uber has optical, coax, usb, the Ember has adjustable output impedance/resistance and adjustable input gain and also the ability to roll tubes, this combination will drive almost any headphone quite well.

For the highs/treble you may want to consider the mod with drawer liner which many say helps but it was more for the HE-400.

As for the padding on the headband I find it quite comfortable because its wide and distributes the weight well.  The padding for the HD-600 is quite narrow so you may want to find something wider.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #4,729 of 14,386
Why not eq up some more bass onto your 400i? I noticed EqualizerAPO in your signature.  What bass are you referring too?  60hz and above or 60hz and below?

Im referring to the whole bass spectrum. In the end i might have to settle with EQ, but honestly i prefer to avoid it since I cant use it on all my devices.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #4,730 of 14,386
Why don't you just sell your HE-400i and keep the Sonys if you are so happy with them? And it seems that you are. 

Personally I have hard times understanding why anyone would think 400i is lacking in bass and being a disappointing.headphone.

The HE-400i isnt lacking in bass imo. I actually upgraded from the old HE-400 and still found the 400i bass just fine, im just finding myself craving a little more bass now.

I like to always have one full size can and one portable hence why selling my 400i is out of the question unless i can replace it with something similar, but like i said i may just opt for EQ since they are so close to perfect as is.

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #4,731 of 14,386
The HE-400i isnt lacking in bass imo. I actually upgraded from the old HE-400 and still found the 400i bass just fine, im just finding myself craving a little more bass now.

I like to always have one full size can and one portable hence why selling my 400i is out of the question unless i can replace it with something similar, but like i said i may just opt for EQ since they are so close to perfect as is.

+1, Using EQ seems like a better option than getting a new headphone since you like most of what the HE0400i has to offer.

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #4,732 of 14,386

Do you currently have the HE-400i or are you still in the planning stage of matching dac/amp/headphone?
For the ODAC/O2 most of the time these are built in to one housing and for the Modi2/Magni2 they go together in a nice stack like you mentioned.  Do you have a price range?  If you could I would suggest a Modi2uber (DAC) and Project Ember (amp), about $500 total but you get great flexibility with both of these, the Modi2uber has optical, coax, usb, the Ember has adjustable output impedance/resistance and adjustable input gain and also the ability to roll tubes, this combination will drive almost any headphone quite well.

For the highs/treble you may want to consider the mod with drawer liner which many say helps but it was more for the HE-400.

As for the padding on the headband I find it quite comfortable because its wide and distributes the weight well.  The padding for the HD-600 is quite narrow so you may want to find something wider.

I dont have them yet, im just trying to find solutions before running into problems
tongue_smile.gif

my price range is 200-250, so when the O2ODAC mentioned so many times i wondered if its worth the stretch.
even i i will get the O2ODAC it will be in a seperate units any way.

i will connect the DAC with usb so the Uber version is a waste of money for me :\

im planning of trying them again in the next few days and probably will buy them.

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #4,734 of 14,386

That's why I have more of each!!!

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #4,735 of 14,386
  I still dont know if i want to invest that amount of money yet :\
i mean, the 400i needs a good DAC\AMP to maximize their potential, so i need to invest like 300$ additional to the 500$.

someone recomended to me the DT 880.
i didnt like the 770 but i read that the 880 are different.
for 175$ they seem to have a great value for the money, but i dont wanna be dissapointed.
plus the 880 are only semi open.

i need to try the 880 before ordering a pair.
also i need to listen to the 400i again, i only had few minutes with them.

880s are excellent if a little lean in bass body, but they can reach surprisingly low.​ If you are sensitive to higher frequencies you may find them a tad bright, but I certainly didn't. I drove them very well SPL Auditor/Gungnir DAC and that certainly helped.

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #4,736 of 14,386

I dont have them yet, im just trying to find solutions before running into problems
tongue_smile.gif

my price range is 200-250, so when the O2ODAC mentioned so many times i wondered if its worth the stretch.
even i i will get the O2ODAC it will be in a seperate units any way.

i will connect the DAC with usb so the Uber version is a waste of money for me :\

im planning of trying them again in the next few days and probably will buy them.

Have you tried a DT-990 (Premium, not the Pro)?  It can be on the on the bright side but with the BH Crack its really nice, pretty close to the HE-400i.  They are on Massdrop for $250 every now and then.  Just trying to give you some options.

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #4,737 of 14,386
  Have you tried a DT-990 (Premium, not the Pro)?  It can be on the on the bright side but with the BH Crack its really nice, pretty close to the HE-400i.  They are on Massdrop for $250 every now and then.  Just trying to give you some options.

I read that the 990 is very close to the 770.
i didnt like the 770 so i guess the bigger brother would be the same.

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #4,738 of 14,386

Users who are viewing this thread

Back