Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 28, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #4,216 of 14,386
  Ok I just received my he-400i, I am blown away by the quality of the music I hear. As this is my first "high end" headphone I really need to listen more, and upgrade my sources :). My rotel drives it pretty well I think. I'll be back with more details :).

Btw I was planning to do the burn in by just listening to music, or should I just keep it running over night with pink noise? Doesn't sound like a great idea to leave it running all the time.

In my opinion burn in is a waste of time.

May 28, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #4,218 of 14,386
  Does the NFB 15 and Hifiman 400i Work together?

NFB 15

Specs:
3500mW/25 ohm 
1800mW/50 ohm
900mW/100 ohm
300mW/300 ohm
150mW/600 ohm

?

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN_Use.htm

This is my exact setup - and it powers the 400i with ease (it powers the HD800 just fine too).  Volume pot usually hovers around 1030. Sounds great but i havent compared directly with other amps. 

May 28, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #4,219 of 14,386

This is my exact setup - and it powers the 400i with ease (it powers the HD800 just fine too).  Volume pot usually hovers around 1030. Sounds great but i havent compared directly with other amps. 

1. When you say 10:30 your comparing the pot to a clock right?

2. Also what do you think about burn in time with the NFB-15 with the TCXO upgrade  or the 400i, is it noticeable does the soundstage improve with either?

3. I also brought the chip upgrade but I want to be sure with the nfb 15 so to anyone, is it possible to check to see if you have the TCXO upgrade installed?

May 28, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #4,220 of 14,386
  1. When you say 10:30 your comparing the pot to a clock right?

2. Also what do you think about burn in time with the NFB-15 with the TCXO upgrade  or the 400i, is it noticeable does the soundstage improve with either?

3. I also brought the chip upgrade but I want to be sure with the nfb 15 so to anyone, is it possible to check to see if you have the TCXO upgrade installed?

• Yup, volume is silent at around 6-630
  •  I dont believe in burn in personally. But because Hifiman actually recommends it - i "burned it in" by playing pink noise at around 90db (according to my phone decibel meter) at night/while at work.  I did not notice any improvements in sound quality.  I think for most people burn in is the time it takes for their ears/head acclimate to the new sound.  What i did do was the grill mod where i replaced the grill - i think it opened up the sound a bit, but it didnt make as big a impact compared to when i did it to the 400i 400.
  • I actually dont know how you can verify if you have the TCXO/USB upgrade...i believe theres a capacitor . I would visit the NFB forums

I think the NFB is more than enough for any planar outside of the HE-6 (i would think it would drive the HE-1k just fine). Might not be the most optimal solution for a high impedence can like the HD800...im actually thinking about getting a vali or valhalla2 for it..MAYBE a Liquid Carbon..but we'll see :) 

May 28, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #4,221 of 14,386

• Yup, volume is silent at around 6-630
  •  I dont believe in burn in personally. But because Hifiman actually recommends it - i "burned it in" by playing pink noise at around 90db (according to my phone decibel meter) at night/while at work.  I did not notice any improvements in sound quality.  I think for most people burn in is the time it takes for their ears/head acclimate to the new sound.  What i did do was the grill mod where i replaced the grill - i think it opened up the sound a bit, but it didnt make as big a impact compared to when i did it to the 400i.
  • I actually dont know how you can verify if you have the TCXO/USB upgrade...i believe theres a capacitor . I would visit the NFB forums

I think the NFB is more than enough for any planar outside of the HE-6 (i would think it would drive the HE-1k just fine). Might not be the most optimal solution for a high impedence can like the HD800...im actually thinking about getting a vali or valhalla2 for it..MAYBE a Liquid Carbon..but we'll see :) 

Is the gill mod on the 400i permanent, will i be able to undo it?

Where is the NFB forums?

May 28, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #4,222 of 14,386
  Is the gill mod on the 400i permanent, will i be able to undo it?

Where is the NFB forums?

Yes its totally reversible - this is the material i used http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-Metal-Mesh-Document-Holder-Black/product_618060_2-CA_1_20001 Heres what it looks like on 

Visit the 560 mod thread if you want to do fancier stuff (bass mod, backwave damping, etc)

May 28, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #4,223 of 14,386
@q2klepto - mikoss is eagerly awaiting the Liquid Carbon (due in August I believe). The balanced Audeze cables you're making for him are in prep for that amp. I'm looking forward to his comments on it too.

BTW - the 650 cables you made for me should arrive tomorrow - can't wait!

May 28, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #4,224 of 14,386
  @q2klepto - mikoss is eagerly awaiting the Liquid Carbon (due in August I believe). The balanced Audeze cables you're making for him are in prep for that amp. I'm looking forward to his comments on it too.

BTW - the 650 cables you made for me should arrive tomorrow - can't wait!

Let me know how they sound! Yup i gave an update to Mikoss last night, was planning on getting his cable done but the Furez connector needed a flathead smaller than what i had, so im going to have to grab a set on the way home from work. Wanted to give him a pic of his cables WIP - since he opted for the fancier Silver plated UP-OCC stuff wanted to let him know i was using the good stuff :) 

May 28, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #4,225 of 14,386

Let me know how they sound! Yup i gave an update to Mikoss last night, was planning on getting his cable done but the Furez connector needed a flathead smaller than what i had, so im going to have to grab a set on the way home from work. Wanted to give him a pic of his cables WIP - since he opted for the fancier Silver plated UP-OCC stuff wanted to let him know i was using the good stuff :) 

Cool. He was going to have to ship it to me to try out until his Liquid Carbon arrives, but I'm only single-ended right now lol. Why I'm still up in the air as to the Audeze cable I want next from you 
wink.gif

May 28, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #4,226 of 14,386
Yes its totally reversible - this is the material i used http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-Metal-Mesh-Document-Holder-Black/product_618060_2-CA_1_20001 Heres what it looks like on 

Visit the 560 mod thread if you want to do fancier stuff (bass mod, backwave damping, etc)

Just took a peek at your cable work. Sweet looking cables man. Just recently ordered some similar cables for my HD650 and HE400, from another cableguy. Seems to use pretty much the same components as you. I had a really hard time choosing colors though. I tried to make 4 color combinations, but I had to give up and go for 2 colors. Marine blue and purple for my 400's, and red and burgunder for my 650's (which honestly looks-wise doesnt seem to fit anything but gray. Hehe). Anyways, thumbs up.

May 28, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #4,227 of 14,386
Just took a peek at your cable work. Sweet looking cables man. Just recently ordered some similar cables for my HD650 and HE400, from another cableguy. Seems to use pretty much the same components as you. I had a really hard time choosing colors though. I tried to make 4 color combinations, but I had to give up and go for 2 colors. Marine blue and purple for my 400's, and red and burgunder for my 650's (which honestly looks-wise doesnt seem to fit anything but gray. Hehe). Anyways, thumbs up.

The black and red Hifiman cables in the pic above were the first I got from @q2klepto. These are my q2klepto cables for the 650's - arriving tomorrow :) Very bling!

May 29, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #4,229 of 14,386
Those are beautiful man. Congrats
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Chris - he does nice work. If there was a beef I had with the HE-400 (aside from the treble) it was the barbed-wire cable.

May 29, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #4,230 of 14,386
  Does the NFB 15 and Hifiman 400i Work together?

NFB 15

Specs:
3500mW/25 ohm 
1800mW/50 ohm
900mW/100 ohm
300mW/300 ohm
150mW/600 ohm

?

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN_Use.htm

This has already been answered, but I should add that audiobot9000.com is a good tool for pairing amplifiers with headphones or comparing headphone specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back