Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 29, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #4,232 of 14,386
   This has already been answered, but I should add that audiobot9000.com is a good tool for pairing amplifiers with headphones or comparing headphone specs.

use the spreadsheet found at the link here: http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html, if interested in calculating power requirements based on headphone specs yourself.

May 29, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #4,233 of 14,386
This was a good read. When I first listened to the 400, I knew I like it but decided to wait for a revised edition. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the revised version. I agree with your take on how Hifiman took the "i" version of the 400 up the "Hi-fi ladder". 
BTW, audiobot900 lists the HE-400i as a dynamic transducer headphone. I (almost) flung them off my head in disgust 
wink.gif

Quote:
Hey guys. Last week I asked for advice regarding choosing the h400's or the 400's, and in choosing the non i version, some of you guys asked me to report what I felt about them. Having received the 400's today, I wrote up a "first impression" comment here, if anyone is interested. Cheers.

May 29, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #4,234 of 14,386

Thanks. I now realized there was a typo in the comment you quoted. It was supposed to say between "the h400's and 400i's", but I guess this was obvious :) Having used the 400's quite a bit since my initial post, I am still very happy about choosing this specific model. At some point I will probably get some LCD2's or something, for that "hi fi planar touch". Not in a long time though.

May 29, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #4,235 of 14,386
Thanks. I now realized there was a typo in the comment you quoted. It was supposed to say between "the h400's and 400i's", but I guess this was obvious
smily_headphones1.gif
Having used the 400's quite a bit since my initial post, I am still very happy about choosing this specific model. At some point I will probably get some LCD2's or something, for that "hi fi planar touch". Not in a long time though.

I think you will love the LCD-2's, I have the newer fazor version and it is a step up from the HE-400/400i, the sound signature is different and you will again be given option of fazor(i) or non-fazor version.  Comfort wise between the HE-400 (focus pads) and LCD-2f is fairly close, these are both heavy headphones so it took me a while to get used to the weight.
Good luck!

May 29, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #4,236 of 14,386
  I think you will love the LCD-2's, I have the newer fazor version and it is a step up from the HE-400/400i, the sound signature is different and you will again be given option of fazor(i) or non-fazor version.  Comfort wise between the HE-400 (focus pads) and LCD-2f is fairly close, these are both heavy headphones so it took me a while to get used to the weight.
Good luck!

+1

May 30, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #4,237 of 14,386
Good luck!

Can you be more specific on how the LCD-2 is a step up from the HE-400i? I've heard it briefly and I liked it... considering getting one as an upgrade at some point but not really sure if it's worth it.

May 30, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #4,238 of 14,386
Good luck!

Thanks for your insight mate. I almost certainly will get a LCD2 of some kind, but that will be some time in the future. Already put myself in a hot place, in terms of my girlfriend discovering new hp's or amps popping up every two-three weeks. Hehe. Honestly I'd prefer finding a good offer, possibly second hand, as they are a bit too expensive for me, considering me and my gf taking up a considerable loan soon.

May 30, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #4,239 of 14,386
I bought HE400i  yesterday, and after HD600 I am not that impressed.  bass seems to be more prominent but I can not see upgrade in definition. and somewhere in midrange I can hear hardness and distortion... also soundstage is clearly worse

Using with Dragonfly and Magni as an amp... I am driving them with enough power? ... may be better amp can do magic ...

May 30, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #4,240 of 14,386

Can you be more specific on how the LCD-2 is a step up from the HE-400i? I've heard it briefly and I liked it... considering getting one as an upgrade at some point but not really sure if it's worth it.

I liked the bass from the HE-400 but like the mids and highs of the HE-400i so for me the LCD-2f is a close marriage of these two great headphones.  The other thing that I like about the LCD-2f is it is very smooth sounding and the music has weight to it.  Its not my most used headphone but for chilling out with a glass of wine and listening to mellow stuff (jazz, classic rock, pop, k-pop, j-pop) its hard to beat.

As for "is it worth it" only you can answer that, I feel that they are definitely worth it, much better bang for your buck than the EL8 open that I also have.  I think the dac/amp that you use will play a vital role in how you perceive the LCD-2, for me its a Bifrost/Lyr2 pairing that has the sound that I like.

David A

May 30, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #4,241 of 14,386
Thanks for your insight mate. I almost certainly will get a LCD2 of some kind, but that will be some time in the future. Already put myself in a hot place, in terms of my girlfriend discovering new hp's or amps popping up every two-three weeks. Hehe. Honestly I'd prefer finding a good offer, possibly second hand, as they are a bit too expensive for me, considering me and my gf taking up a considerable loan soon.

Hi Chris, you need to learn how to hide the new stuff (ship to work vs home or get deliveries before she does) as some have posted on these forums.  A better solution would be to try and get her to appreciate them with you, my girlfriend loves music so she has added to the inventory of gear on her own, but its only after she get a new handbag, shoes, or cloths.

May 30, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #4,242 of 14,386
  I bought HE400i  yesterday, and after HD600 I am not that impressed.  bass seems to be more prominent but I can not see upgrade in definition. and somewhere in midrange I can hear hardness and distortion... also soundstage is clearly worse

Using with Dragonfly and Magni as an amp... I am driving them with enough power? ... may be better amp can do magic ...

John,
I started with a Modi/Magni and HE-400, this was not a good pairing.  I've never used or heard a Dragonfly so I can't comment there but the M/M combo sounded bright and not much bass with the HE-400 and even worse with the HE-400i.  I don't think it a power issue with the Magni but more a synergy issue in that the Magni and HE-400i are both on the bright side.  Best results I have with the HE-400i is with a UD-301 DAC and Project Ember amp, not the cheapest but really versatile pair able to run a wide range of headphones very well.  You could start with getting an amp first like a Gustard H-10 as many have said that it is a warmer sounding SS amp or if you want to go with tubes then the Ember is a great bang for buck gem.
Hope you find a good dac/amp pair for your HE-400i as they are pretty good headphones to me.

May 30, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #4,243 of 14,386

I have to agree, about the Teac anyway. I got the UD-301 a couple of weeks back. I have been using it with my Polaris or Sunrise III. I like the way  these pair with the 400i very much. I think I prefer the Polaris a bit more. The Teac can be had for $399 right now with a $100 rebate. Considering that price, the flexibility of the unit (will play just about anything.. save high bit DXD), and the sound... it is a steal. The headphone out is not going to win any prizes, but is adequate. The DAC section does nice things for me.

May 30, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #4,244 of 14,386

Hmm, I've pretty much had the opposite experience. Granted I've only listened to the HD650, but unless the HD600's soundstage is much better than that of the HD650 I felt the HE-400i's soundstage was not only wider, but also imaging was much better (mainly because everything in the HD650 was so close together and thus separation suffered).

May 30, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #4,245 of 14,386

I actually have a different opinion on this, having heard both. Though it's not a popular opinion, I personally think that the HE-400i is just as good as the LCD-2 (but not better) in terms of technical ability, and that which one you prefer comes down to preference in sound signature. I think the mids are comparable on both headphones, but I prefer the brighter sound signature of the HE-400i (I'm not a very big fan of dark sounding headphones in general, as I listen to too much classical and orchestral for that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back