Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 27, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #2,266 of 14,386
Its closed. Nothing like the MA900...

I bought the ma900 again and just got it about a week ago. Couldn't be happier and glad I grabbed it since it's now unavailable except in Japan. 

Oh, and there's no less than 10 pair of original 400's ready for purchased on the used forum for you. 
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #2,267 of 14,386
I decided to buy the HE-400i because I felt like it'd be a direct upgrade to the MA900 I had. My first few headphones were XB500, M-Audio Q40 and Pro700 mkII and when I finally heard neutral I thought it sounded awful. Spending a lot of time with one headphone, even if you dislike it a lot can make you start to like its signature, I grew to find JVC RX900 ideal, then I thought MA900 was perfect (minus it's lack of bass extension and authority). Recessed mids is hard to live with though, I really liked JVCs HA-S500 but its midrange recession bugged me sometimes. I think there's two ways to think on head-fi about upgrading to 'better' headphones. 1. get a headphone with the signature I like that's technically better or 2. get a headphone that's technically better and eventually I'll adjust to the signature so long as it doesn't have any faults you consider unforgivable. 

Sep 27, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #2,269 of 14,386
I sold my HE-400 a couple days ago and bought my loaner HE-400i. The HE-400i is on a different level than the HE-400 in my opinion, despite it's lesser bass.

Besides, with HifiMan's huge discount on their loaner pairs I just couldn't miss the opportunity.

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #2,271 of 14,386
I decided to buy the HE-400i because I felt like it'd be a direct upgrade to the MA900 I had. My first few headphones were XB500, M-Audio Q40 and Pro700 mkII and when I finally heard neutral I thought it sounded awful. Spending a lot of time with one headphone, even if you dislike it a lot can make you start to like its signature, I grew to find JVC RX900 ideal, then I thought MA900 was perfect (minus it's lack of bass extension and authority). Recessed mids is hard to live with though, I really liked JVCs HA-S500 but its midrange recession bugged me sometimes. I think there's two ways to think on head-fi about upgrading to 'better' headphones. 1. get a headphone with the signature I like that's technically better or 2. get a headphone that's technically better and eventually I'll adjust to the signature so long as it doesn't have any faults you consider unforgivable. 

Well I owned and loved the MA900. I also really like the 400i but direct upgrade it is not IMO. The sound signature is similar but the tuning is a bit different. The 400i has less bass but a bit more extension. Midrange is similar though 400i is more refined. Treble us definitely better and more extended on the 400i. 400i wins in imaging and separation but is destroyed on soundstage size IMO. The MA900 is more airy too. Overall the 400i dues sound more refined and complete... It is better in most ways but does sound a bit different and better in a few as well...
I suppose it's as close to am upgrade as possible and you'll like the 400i!
God I wish the MA900 had a direct upgrade :xf_eek:

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #2,272 of 14,386
Well with some brain burn-in, I am certainly liking these 400i more.  But, man, they clamp tight.  Haven't tried to stretch them out at all to see if that would help, but 3 hour sessions are out of the question, at least until/if I get more used to them.

Now, my biggest previous complaint, the bass...I may be beginning to hear what people mean with they talk about texture and clarity. The bass on them is gorgeous.  I still contend there is no "rumble".  Stumbled across K.Flay on Spotify, and music like that just does not seem fun at all on the 400i to me.

On the other hand, the intro to Linda Ronstadt's cover of Hurt's So Bad, especially when she comes in with the vocals, is simply magical on the 400i to my ears. I very much prefer the mids and highs on these over the HP150.

Maybe I'll start a thread and ask folks if they ever find one headphone that does it all for them, one that they never want to swap out for a certain song, or type of music.

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #2,273 of 14,386
  Well with some brain burn-in, I am certainly liking these 400i more.  But, man, they clamp tight.  Haven't tried to stretch them out at all to see if that would help, but 3 hour sessions are out of the question, at least until/if I get more used to them.

Now, my biggest previous complaint, the bass...I may be beginning to hear what people mean with they talk about texture and clarity. The bass on them is gorgeous.  I still contend there is no "rumble".  Stumbled across K.Flay on Spotify, and music like that just does not seem fun at all on the 400i to me.

On the other hand, the intro to Linda Ronstadt's cover of Hurt's So Bad, especially when she comes in with the vocals, is simply magical on the 400i to my ears. I very much prefer the mids and highs on these over the HP150.

Maybe I'll start a thread and ask folks if they ever find one headphone that does it all for them, one that they never want to swap out for a certain song, or type of music.

Don't be afraid of EQ. Level or boost so that the frequencies under 60Hz are emphasized more, then try that track again. You will find your rumble, the drivers are very capable. They can do more rumble, they were just voiced to be balanced. I like to use EQ on EDM, flat on most other genres. This way the phones are more versatile.

Sep 28, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #2,275 of 14,386
ive tested the hifiman he-400, sennheiser hd600, akg 65th anniversary lately and now the he400i

im very pleased with them with basically everything, just feel like there could be a bit more bass

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #2,276 of 14,386
ive tested the hifiman he-400, sennheiser hd600, akg 65th anniversary lately and now the he400i

im very pleased with them with basically everything, just feel like there could be a bit more bass
yes I have been going back between the 400 and 400i all weekend. Im not sure the increase in treble clearity Is worth the loss of bass the 400 I offers

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #2,277 of 14,386
yes I have been going back between the 400 and 400i all weekend. Im not sure the increase in treble clearity Is worth the loss of bass the 400 I offers

I use the 400i with my FiiO X5/E12 and if I want more bass I just hit the bass boost on the E12 and that is more then enough and no distortion sounds amazing! I could not be more happier with the 400i. I have a co-worker who is going to pick up the 400 soon so I can compare them.

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #2,278 of 14,386
lol you guys should really just try EQing it if you find it a bit bass light. Neutral headphones are easier to EQ than something that is more colored. Download Equalify for spotify & bass boost by 7dB and hell they will rumble the **** outta you :wink:

you can cut the mids down a bit & boost the treble up a bit for the classic v-shaped sound sig that is so popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back