Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 29, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #2,281 of 14,386
Sep 29, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #2,282 of 14,386
Is there still a loaner program for the he-400i or the he-560?

Hi,
Both our HE-400i and HE-560 loaner program have ended now. If you are interested in trying either headphone, you can either order directly from our web site which we do offer a standard return policy, or we can refer you to one your local dealer.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Sep 29, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #2,284 of 14,386
They handle a +12db bass boost at 60hz quite well with the Magni. Not sure how much these can take, but they almost sound basslight to me. (keep in mind, I'm not used to neutral, my in ear JVCs has +10db basswise and even my neutral-ish MA900 has a +3 db boost at about 100 hertz.). Takes a lot to adjust to their sound, my ears were initially fatigued. They can definitely handle +12db boost, they sound ideal at +9 but even without any boost they sound good. Closest to neutral I've ever heard.

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #2,285 of 14,386
They handle a +12db bass boost at 60hz quite well with the Magni. Not sure how much these can take, but they almost sound basslight to me. (keep in mind, I'm not used to neutral, my in ear JVCs has +10db basswise and even my neutral-ish MA900 has a +3 db boost at about 100 hertz.). Takes a lot to adjust to their sound, my ears were initially fatigued. They can definitely handle +12db boost, they sound ideal at +9 but even without any boost they sound good. Closest to neutral I've ever heard.

What kind of genre are you throwing at them? They may seem a bit light on bass but when a song calls for bass it reaches down deep. I think the clarity of these are amazing, you will be happy with these(I'm not saying you are not know) but throw some more music at them and pump some power into them...

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #2,286 of 14,386
What kind of genre are you throwing at them? They may seem a bit light on bass but when a song calls for bass it reaches down deep. I think the clarity of these are amazing, you will be happy with these(I'm not saying you are not know) but throw some more music at them and pump some power into them...

Must agree with this statement. For me, the more power they have available, the better they sound.

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #2,287 of 14,386

Hmm, I personally think that the bass on these things is already pretty good (they don't over exaggerate bass), but I guess this just shows we all have different sound preferences...

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #2,288 of 14,386
Don't misunderstand, I've been using them unequalized I just was testing and also letting others know they can handle a bit of extra bass if anyone is craving it. On first listen I felt they were a little light on the bass, but since yesterday I've grown accustomed to their sound and it's very easy to tell they've got a great frequency balance, though vocals seem a little 'thick' sounding sometimes, but that works well for most songs. For the most part the HE-400i has a somewhat effortless sound, soundstage isn't huge but I haven't really found them to get congested sounding as easily as my MA900 did back when I had it. The comfort is great, Hifiman did not let us down in this area. They've got plenty of juice, too -- using them with my Magni and Fiio X3, both which take less than half volume to get too a loud listening level.

*edit* Though I said the sound ideal at +9db@60hz they definitely are above neutral at that point, and I only boost the bass for genres like electronic and reggae and only sometimes. With orchestra music or anything with tons of texture, these headphones deliver surreal amounts of detail, it's awesome. 
biggrin.gif

Fun-fact: They can be driven by a Sansa Clip+ (don't even need max volume). They sound a tad muddy but they keep their bass presence, it's pretty amazing.

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #2,289 of 14,386

Fun-fact: They can be driven by a Sansa Clip+ (don't even need max volume). They sound a tad muddy but they keep their bass presence, it's pretty amazing.

Heck, I found them fun out  of my HTC ONE.  Yes, the bass was a bit muddy as well, but they held up nicely!

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #2,290 of 14,386

You're EQing down right? Otherwise there might be clipping.

I tried EQing the bass about a month ago when I first got them, but wasn't so impressed. I'll try it again tonight though as I've grown more accustomed to the sound since then.

But like others have mentioned, on a bass heavy track these things can wobble your ears.

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #2,291 of 14,386

You're EQing down right? Otherwise there might be clipping.

I tried EQing the bass about a month ago when I first got them, but wasn't so impressed. I'll try it again tonight though as I've grown more accustomed to the sound since then.

But like others have mentioned, on a bass heavy track these things can wobble your ears.

This. Always EQ down, never up. IMO

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #2,294 of 14,386
  I'm the writer of the article above!

Feel free to ask my any questions you may have about it 
biggrin.gif

Will 400i sounds good with metal music?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back