Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 16, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #2,073 of 14,386
  It's more likely to be the music you listen to.

I have to agree with this. If it's one thing the 400i will do, it's that it will present the music exactly the way it was mastered. If the song has a large soundstage, the 400i will relay that accordingly. If the song was mixed to be intimate, then the 400i will show that clearly too. Same with bass, etc.

And yes, while the soundstage of the 400i is smaller than something like the 560's, it really isn't too small (especially compared to cheaper and lower-level cans - you won't notice this supposed soundstage deficiency) and it definitely does not sound like a closed can.

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #2,074 of 14,386

I have to agree with this. If it's one thing the 400i will do, it's that it will present the music exactly the way it was mastered. If the song has a large soundstage,

I'm not sure if high-end dynamic cans have this hit or miss presentation that planars have with albums ?
With planars it can be quite drastically flat and lifeless with some albums.

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #2,076 of 14,386
  I dunno, I think the 400i is a bit too colored to render the music exactly as it was mastered.

You're probably right (because I haven't owned anything more high-end than the 400i, nor have I actually ever owned a truly neutral headphone). But I believe that the 400i at least brings out the differences in mastering choices very obviously (for example, I think you'll be able to easily tell how much bass one song has in relation to another - even if the 400i produces too much bass to begin with).

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #2,079 of 14,386
  I've decided not to buy my tour 400i.  Like it, but not better than my hd600.  I owe a review/report on the tour unit and I'll do that in near future, but that's my bottom line.

Is it possible for you to compare the bass of the 600 to the 400i?  I have a pair of HD600 that I am about to return.  Excellent headphones, and overall I know they are better, but I got used to the deep bass on my other pair (Soundmagic HP150), and I just miss it too much.  I would like to get the beautiful mids and openness of the HD600 with more bass kick.

Concerned that the HE400 will be too V-shaped, which I already have with the HP150, and am very concerned about the weight/comfort of the HE400.

My untrained ear thinks the HD600 a superior headphone, and I never considered myself a basshead, but I need something that hits differently than the HD600 with the bass.

Thanks!

Headphone sound is in the ear of the beholder, but I think it helps to hear how people compare one model to another.

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #2,080 of 14,386
Is it possible for you to compare the bass of the 600 to the 400i?  I have a pair of HD600 that I am about to return.  Excellent headphones, and overall I know they are better, but I got used to the deep bass on my other pair (Soundmagic HP150), and I just miss it too much.  I would like to get the beautiful mids and openness of the HD600 with more bass kick.

Concerned that the HE400 will be too V-shaped, which I already have with the HP150, and am very concerned about the weight/comfort of the HE400.

My untrained ear thinks the HD600 a superior headphone, and I never considered myself a basshead, but I need something that hits differently than the HD600 with the bass.

Thanks!

Headphone sound is in the ear of the beholder, but I think it helps to hear how people compare one model to another.

Certainly will - I've been meaning to write my review but busy; will do in a few days. An incomplete answer is that the bass was not dissimilar in level between those two...

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #2,081 of 14,386
I will go on to add to this, that the 400i goes a bit deeper and with more control than the hd6x0. There is a looseness with the 650/600 when the bass is pushed hard that I don't get with the 400i. While I love my 650 and respect the 600, the bass on the 400i is better IMO. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #2,082 of 14,386

I have a Soundmagic HP100 which uses the same drivers as the HP150 (the only differences are aesthetic).  I do agree that I love the bass on the HP100, but I was surprised when I received my 400i that their bass did not leave me wanting.  In my opinion, the HP100 has tight, less bloated bass than the cans I had before (Sony Pulse Elites), but over time I really enjoyed their punchiness.  The 400i has similar tight, punchy bass without being too bloated.  I listened to the 400's before I purchased my 400i's, and I think the HE-400's bass is a bit more bloated than even the HP100 (but still excellent depending on preference).  Both the 400i and HP100 have great bass extension, and compared to the HD650 which I've tried extensively, the bass is noticeably more apparent on the former two.  I'm not very good about discerning between sub-bass/mid-bass, but all I know is that transitioning from HP100 to HE-400i never made me ask, "Where did the bass go?"

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #2,083 of 14,386
  ... Both the 400i and HP100 have great bass extension, and compared to the HD650 which I've tried extensively, the bass is noticeably more apparent on the former two.  I'm not very good about discerning between sub-bass/mid-bass, but all I know is that transitioning from HP100 to HE-400i never made me ask, "Where did the bass go?"

That helps, thanks.

Thanks to MattTCG and Billheiser also.  Would love to know when you get the time to write up a comparison of the 600 and 400i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back