Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 18, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #2,101 of 14,386
Oh no, no, no! I don't hate the Maggies on any level whatsoever!

What it boiled down to was that the 1.6's were ever so slightly tizzy on the very high end occasionally. The (IIRC) next level up cleaned this up.

The 1.6 were such a bargain at $1475 at the time, compared to $3500 or so for the 3.2's. With a lot of cable experimentation I tamed the speakers to where I can just let it go.

As I understand, they finally replaced the 1.6 with the 1.7 and it has cleaned up the top end. I haven't heard them as there are no high end stores in the Birmingham area anymore. I don't want to hear them. I'm extremely happy with what I have now.

Once you hear what planar speakers can do, there is no going back to the coloration of a wooden cabinet speaker.

It's a good thing I don't own cats. Otherwise I would have the world's largest scratching post! Seriously, the open sound is - incredible. My limited vocabulary just cannot describe it. That's why I'm here, to see if it can be reproduced in a headphone.

I intend on having a very Merry Christmas to myself........ if I can wait that long.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #2,102 of 14,386
Any thoughts on burn in time? Its my second new HP, I didn't notice anything in the first one. Wasn't really paying attention though.

Did take a quick listen after 30 minutes, was a bit diffused sounding.

I burned in the demo's I had for about 160 hours and that seemed really burn in or cure the drivers. And after I burned them in for another 40 hours, the sound out of the HE-400i was truly amazing, especially when I put telefunken ecc88 platinum tubes into my lyr2.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #2,103 of 14,386
Oh no, no, no! I don't hate the Maggies on any level whatsoever!

What it boiled down to was that the 1.6's were ever so slightly tizzy on the very high end occasionally. The (IIRC) next level up cleaned this up.

The 1.6 were such a bargain at $1475 at the time, compared to $3500 or so for the 3.2's. With a lot of cable experimentation I tamed the speakers to where I can just let it go.

As I understand, they finally replaced the 1.6 with the 1.7 and it has cleaned up the top end. I haven't heard them as there are no high end stores in the Birmingham area anymore. I don't want to hear them. I'm extremely happy with what I have now.

Once you hear what planar speakers can do, there is no going back to the coloration of a wooden cabinet speaker.

It's a good thing I don't own cats. Otherwise I would have the world's largest scratching post! Seriously, the open sound is - incredible. My limited vocabulary just cannot describe it. That's why I'm here, to see if it can be reproduced in a headphone.

I intend on having a very Merry Christmas to myself........ if I can wait that long.

Cats are the reason I don't have maggies.  My Ohm's are more than an adequate choice though- and as Omni's they have no coloration from a box, either.  In fact, the 400i's sound remarkably like the Ohms, especially with how I have them EQ'd.

As much as I love the 400i's, my opinion is that the 560's may be much closer to what I remember maggies sound like.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #2,104 of 14,386
Agreed 100% on the Maggies and the 560's, they are also remarkably close to my beloved Soundlabs, cohesive, impeccable tone, capturing the big rig planar sound. Your Ohm's are great speakers as well, always wanted to listen to MBL's take on Ohm's work!!!

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #2,106 of 14,386
This is a discussion of the exact problem I'm facing. Can I live with the 400i or do I jump all the way in and get the 560.

I can buy a lot of music and adult beverages with the price difference.

I'm a maggie/omni/martin logan/MBL lover.  I have been searching for a few years for that headphone that makes me go 'wow' in ways that even my beloved Alpha Dogs and Grado cans simply cannot do.

The 400i IS that headphone for me.  Maybe 80 to 90% of the sonics of the 560, and almost half the price. Others may disagree, and with good reason- the 560 is an amazing headphone
  Agreed 100% on the Maggies and the 560's, they are also remarkably close to my beloved Soundlabs, cohesive, impeccable tone, capturing the big rig planar sound. Your Ohm's are great speakers as well, always wanted to listen to MBL's take on Ohm's work!!!

How did I not realize you had Soundlabs?  We have a dealer in Wilmington, NC that used to carry those. It was one of those times that I will never forget- right up there with Apogee Scintillas, which I head with a Mcintosh rig quite a few years ago. (this is not a picture of that rig, BTW)

Most of my speakers friends think I'm crazy getting into headphones, but they simply have not heard how immersive and cohesive the current planars are capable of being.  Especially the 400i, which is every bit as awesome with my Schiit Magni as they were with the Burson Soloist.

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #2,107 of 14,386
  I'm a maggie/omni/martin logan/MBL lover.  I have been searching for a few years for that headphone that makes me go 'wow' in ways that even my beloved Alpha Dogs and Grado cans simply cannot do.

The 400i IS that headphone for me.  Maybe 80 to 90% of the sonics of the 560, and almost half the price. Others may disagree, and with good reason- the 560 is an amazing headphone
How did I not realize you had Soundlabs?  We have a dealer in Wilmington, NC that used to carry those. It was one of those times that I will never forget- right up there with Apogee Scintillas, which I head with a Mcintosh rig quite a few years ago. (this is not a picture of that rig, BTW)

Most of my speakers friends think I'm crazy getting into headphones, but they simply have not heard how immersive and cohesive the current planars are capable of being.  Especially the 400i, which is every bit as awesome with my Schiit Magni as they were with the Burson Soloist.

Wilmington is a beautiful Town, I miss the ocean and beach!!! I used to have Duetta Signatures, I wish that I had kept them, tremendous bass and that immersive, cohesive, proper height in the soundstage sound was awesome!!!

I am looking forward to hearing the 400i's this weekend, how do they compare to your Alpha Dogs. Right now my main cans, sold my HD650's, are the AD's and HE560's, hey compliment each other well, especially with the Norne Vanquish Cable on the Dogs.

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #2,108 of 14,386
  Wilmington is a beautiful Town, I miss the ocean and beach!!! I used to have Duetta Signatures, I wish that I had kept them, tremendous bass and that immersive, cohesive, proper height in the soundstage sound was awesome!!!

I am looking forward to hearing the 400i's this weekend, how do they compare to your Alpha Dogs. Right now my main cans, sold my HD650's, are the AD's and HE560's, hey compliment each other well, especially with the Norne Vanquish Cable on the Dogs.

I'm actually thinking about selling the Alpha Dogs.  I know I'll buy them again if I do, but right now the 400i's give me such a  positive experience that I hate to see the AD's sitting there and not being used.  But when I wear the Alphas' I wind up analyzing music, but with the 460i's I just experience it.  That's as close as my objectivist tendencies can describe it.

Also, the Alphas midrange present distorted guitar in a not-so-pleasant way at times, where the 400i's sound like my speakers.  I have a bass pre-amp, an Eden Navigator, that is technically the most advanced and clear pre-amp I've ever owned (and I've owned LOTS of bass gear).  But my distortion pedals, mostly a boutique pedal called the Supercollider Beast, sounds weak and 'tinny' when I use it.  On the other hand, I have a Carvin B-1500 which is the loudest amp I have ever experienced- 1500 watts of pure lead-sled bombast into a 4-ohm cab with 2 12"'s and a mid driver, and the Beast sounds gorgeous through it.  The AD's are the technically superior Navigator.  The 400i's are the Carvin.

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,109 of 14,386
Martin Logan owner here.. pics in my gallery.  The HD800 are HE560 are the closest I've found. Will probably end up with the HE400i as a fun compliment but I'm not ruling out owning both the HE560 and HE400i. Already auditioned the 560, was really impressed and hopefully will be able to compare them side by side and choose one.. or both 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Sep 19, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #2,110 of 14,386

Would love to hear a comparison between the 560 and your 800's? Hope I didn't miss it, my apologies if it's already been done! Cheers :beers:

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #2,112 of 14,386
  any1 knows an answer?

In theory, extension cables degrade the sound quality, but it's typically not anything that will be noticeable.  Unless, of course, you buy a REALLY awful cable.

I plan to get the Grado Extension cable for my 400is...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006DPNNK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3JLTP4ZA1AFW7&coliid=I1JI24Y5A684AJ

I may look into something shorter, since 15 ft. is pretty extreme, but it seems to work fine for most people.  I need it for movies in the living room...

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #2,113 of 14,386
Haven't had them side by side yet so I really can't comment ATM.  I'm willing to give up some technicalities go get more 'fun'. I will take the HD800 with me when I audition the HE560 & HE400i side by side and comment afterwards.
Quote:
Would love to hear a comparison between the 560 and your 800's? Hope I didn't miss it, my apologies if it's already been done! Cheers :beers:

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #2,114 of 14,386
  In theory, extension cables degrade the sound quality, but it's typically not anything that will be noticeable.  Unless, of course, you buy a REALLY awful cable.

I plan to get the Grado Extension cable for my 400is...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006DPNNK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3JLTP4ZA1AFW7&coliid=I1JI24Y5A684AJ

I may look into something shorter, since 15 ft. is pretty extreme, but it seems to work fine for most people.  I need it for movies in the living room...

This is a good quality cable. 

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #2,115 of 14,386
  I'm actually thinking about selling the Alpha Dogs.  I know I'll buy them again if I do, but right now the 400i's give me such a  positive experience that I hate to see the AD's sitting there and not being used.  But when I wear the Alphas' I wind up analyzing music, but with the 460i's I just experience it.  That's as close as my objectivist tendencies can describe it.

Also, the Alphas midrange present distorted guitar in a not-so-pleasant way at times, where the 400i's sound like my speakers.  I have a bass pre-amp, an Eden Navigator, that is technically the most advanced and clear pre-amp I've ever owned (and I've owned LOTS of bass gear).  But my distortion pedals, mostly a boutique pedal called the Supercollider Beast, sounds weak and 'tinny' when I use it.  On the other hand, I have a Carvin B-1500 which is the loudest amp I have ever experienced- 1500 watts of pure lead-sled bombast into a 4-ohm cab with 2 12"'s and a mid driver, and the Beast sounds gorgeous through it.  The AD's are the technically superior Navigator.  The 400i's are the Carvin.

I also had the Alpha Dog in the past and I slightly prefer the 400i for my music.  (Prog-Metal)

I cannot say anything bad about the Alpha Dog and I still believe that they are one of the best closed headphones on the market but the electric guitars sounds a bit more exciting with the 400i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back