Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Mar 8, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #181 of 14,386
^prob because:

- prevents returns for upgrades
- people will waste money on the lower model and lose sales on the flagship
- the people that can't afford the flagship far out weigh those that can but the people who can afford the flagships can also afford the other models and will buy those too

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #182 of 14,386
I've wanted the he-400 for a while and don't know whether to wait for the 400i to come out. At $300USD it's pretty tempting. My beyer DT990s are out for repair in the US, and being in Canada, god knows how long it'll be until I get them back. From what Ive heard, the he-400 has a similar v-shaped signature, with recessed mids and emphasized bass and treble. do you guys think they have a similar sound, or would it be different enough to complement the 990s nicely? I've never actually heard planars before and don't know what to expect, and in the Toronto area I can't find anyone who does demos...but the online store I was looking at lets me return them within 30 days, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #183 of 14,386
They sound rather differently, altho it's safe to say both employ a v-type signature.  

The DT990's treble spike affects a broader range than the HE-400, and it has some minor peaks and colorations throughout the upper midrange.  That, combined with a less-forward lower midrange than the HE-400 makes it a colder sounding headphone in comparison.

The HE-400's bass extends a slightly bit more, has a less loud mid-bass and upper-bass, has more upfront lower mids to about 1-2khz.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #184 of 14,386
I've wanted the he-400 for a while and don't know whether to wait for the 400i to come out. At $300USD it's pretty tempting. My beyer DT990s are out for repair in the US, and being in Canada, god knows how long it'll be until I get them back. From what Ive heard, the he-400 has a similar v-shaped signature, with recessed mids and emphasized bass and treble. do you guys think they have a similar sound, or would it be different enough to complement the 990s nicely? I've never actually heard planars before and don't know what to expect, and in the Toronto area I can't find anyone who does demos...but the online store I was looking at lets me return them within 30 days, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Another way to look at it is, will the 400i be $200 dollars better?

The 400's @ $300 are a pretty nice deal and a good way to see if you will be into the "Hifiman" sound. I am skeptical about the 400i's at this point - as the price rise and other issues I have with them seem to put them off my radar. I'll sell you my HE-400s for $250 with velour earpads / Pleathers if you want them.
biggrin.gif

I am trying to divest my head-fi ATM so I can go back to regular speakers for awhile.

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #185 of 14,386
  Another way to look at it is, will the 400i be $200 dollars better?

The 400's @ $300 are a pretty nice deal and a good way to see if you will be into the "Hifiman" sound. I am skeptical about the 400i's at this point - as the price rise and other issues I have with them seem to put them off my radar. I'll sell you my HE-400s for $250 with velour earpads / Pleathers if you want them.
biggrin.gif

I am trying to divest my head-fi ATM so I can go back to regular speakers for awhile.

I'm sure some people can justify the $200 even with just the huge weight reduction and better headband / earpad ergonomics/durability. The comfort angle is a pretty significant one being approached with this new lineup I think, it's as exciting as the potential for improved sound.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #187 of 14,386
Try the headfoneshop at Yonge, north of Lawrence in Toronto (www.headfoneshop.com) - it's small front store, but only place in Toronto that has all the top brand headphones available for demo. The owner, Charles, is a nice guy and should have some planars available to demo.  Call ahead and see if they're on the wall.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #189 of 14,386
I imagine so... Maybe even June. They said it will release 1 - 2 months after the 560.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #190 of 14,386
It seems that the latest LCD-2 has lost some its bass impact according to some and I wonder if that is caused by tweaking the treble higher than it was previously. I wonder if the 400i will lose anything in the bass department when (I guess) they tame the treble spike issue...

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #191 of 14,386
  It seems that the latest LCD-2 has lost some its bass impact according to some and I wonder if that is caused by tweaking the treble higher than it was previously. I wonder if the 400i will lose anything in the bass department when (I guess) they tame the treble spike issue...

I agree about the lcd2, And I wonder about the 400i bass as well. Only time will tell on the 400i. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #193 of 14,386
The poor 400i not getting one bit of the spotlight vs the wunderkid 560 till now......like the sick little brother pushed aside
confused_face.gif

I mean is it just going to be released at this stage with no advance reviewer pairs ?

MattTCG you should PM HFM for an advance pair..... you have been on the site long enough with your post count to get a pair for review.......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #194 of 14,386
  The poor 400i not getting one bit of the spotlight vs the wunderkid 560 till now......like the sick little brother pushed aside
confused_face.gif

I mean is it just going to be released at this stage with no advance reviewer pairs ?

MattTCG you should PM HFM for an advance pair..... you have been on the site long enough with your post count to get a pair for review.......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

They have to get the kinks out of the 560 before they release the 400i :wink:  So that's why the 560 has all the thunder right now, it's closer to release than the 400i.  When the 400i samples get handed out, it'll gain traction.  Can't give samples if they aren't ready yet. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #195 of 14,386

They have to get the kinks out of the 560 before they release the 400i :wink:  So that's why the 560 has all the thunder right now, it's closer to release than the 400i.  When the 400i samples get handed out, it'll gain traction.  Can't give samples if they aren't ready yet. 

Thank you "tiny man who is Asian"
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back