Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 19, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #1,171 of 14,386
  1) Yeah a bit
2) not to my ears
3) any fully-sealing earpad will be like this
4) these have way more refined velour material than velour pads before

I'd mod the pads but not targeting these points, except maybe #1.

I cannot agree with you here... I have had both old Hifiman velour pads and these Focus Pad and Focus Pad A... And the difference was not small at all. The old velour pads were much better in terms of velour softness and feeling on skin. The new velour pads were still better than Focus Pads but not by much.

But whatever... I am just weird... I guess I need to learn to live with that. And I thought I am not even that much demanding - I like AKG, Sennheiser, Beyer, Audeze and even old Hifiman pads! So how come that I cannot stand these?!

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #1,172 of 14,386
Which old velour pads are you talking about.  Are you talking about the ones that came with the HE-400 and HE-500, or the ones that came with the HE-4 and HE-6?

The ones that came with the HE-400 and HE-500 have super stiff foam inside of them, so the velour is not soft feeling at all.

Both the HE-400/500 velour pads and the newer focus pads make my skin itch from time to time.  Velour is velour after all, no way around it.  It's not as nice on the skin as leather.

Beyer has the softest velour and padding of any earpad I've tried, but after a while it decompresses and becomes far too shallow, and the velour starts itching from becoming oily.  Even after you wash them, they're still rather itchy.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #1,173 of 14,386
  Which old velour pads are you talking about.  Are you talking about the ones that came with the HE-400 and HE-500, or the ones that came with the HE-4 and HE-6?

The ones that came with the HE-400 and HE-500 have super stiff foam inside of them, so the velour is not soft feeling at all.

Both the HE-400/500 velour pads and the newer focus pads make my skin itch from time to time.  Velour is velour after all, no way around it.  It's not as nice on the skin as leather.

Beyer has the softest velour and padding of any earpad I've tried, but after a while it decompresses and becomes far too shallow, and the velour starts itching from becoming oily.  Even after you wash them, they're still rather itchy.

Old Hifiman velour pads that came with early HE-4 etc. Superb comfort due to nice softness and enough toughness to hold their shape but not put too much pressure on your cheeks. Beating even Beyer pads for me...

I am just sad that two brilliant headphones (HE-400i, HE-560) may be unusable for me due to the fact that they may be only compatible with Focus Pads soundwise. =/ I wish they worked with old velours or Beyer pads...

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #1,174 of 14,386

Kinda off topic but the Fidelio x1 velours are much softer.

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #1,180 of 14,386
I am still awaiting my demo unit as well... Guess, they are sending them out at different times.

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #1,181 of 14,386
  I find the Focus-A better for comfort, too.
My ears touch the Focus pads, while they could fit underneath the Focus-A ones.

Funny how we have all different ears.
I have exactly the opposite problem. Both of the pads come into contact with my ears [or so I assume, but this is not irritating].
But while the Focus-A cause my ears to touch the drivers, or some other part that does irritate [due to more decompression], the Focuses do not and provide a firmer, more comfy resting place.
Oh well, the beauty of having choices is good 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #1,184 of 14,386
  Interesting, from the photos it looks like production 400is will ship with cable that has an angled 3.5mm termination, and a 1/4'' adapter to it.

I'm guessing because the HE-400i can be powered by portable devices, the angled connector suites those better. But the long cable sort of defeats the purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back