Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 16, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,142 of 14,386
Either would be good. I'm actually very surprised at how good the 400i sounds from the Val 2. Usually OTL amps and planar mags don't mix like peanut butter and jelly...but this time they do. 

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #1,144 of 14,386
Any thoughts as to whether the HE-400i would be a better experience over the HE-500? I listen to quite a bit of rock, hip hop, and electronic music. Currently own the HE-500s, Schiit Magni and Modi.

One of the reviewers will prob respond, but some very similar questions have been asked and answered in this thread...try a search or just look back a handful of pages. :wink:

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #1,146 of 14,386
question....when will the HE-400i become available? I've searched everywhere and they are not for sale.

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #1,147 of 14,386
question....when will the HE-400i become available? I've searched everywhere and they are not for sale.

The most recent time frame that was given was, "mid August."

I'm sure we'll get a new update here in the next week or so on what's happening.

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #1,148 of 14,386

probably end of august.

if you e-mail the people at headroom, SALES@HEADPHONE.COM, they will send you a preorder form. Don't forget HR10 coupon for 10% off, though I am not sure when it expires.

http://www.headphone.com/products/hifiman-he-400i

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #1,149 of 14,386
HFM! It's middle of August. I even gave you a couple buffer days! You better be doing a design change or something of the sort to make the headphones sound even better (like the grill mod), otherwise, RELEASE THE KRAKEN, erm, 400i! Or at least have an update for tomorrow.

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #1,150 of 14,386
Told y'all not to expect this until September. ALWAYS give companies a bit of extra time. This is why I like the way Schiit does it's releases. They tell no one. They release it when it's ready and BOOM, everyone is happy.

I understand generating hype prior to release, but surprise releases are also hype generating.

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #1,151 of 14,386
Told y'all not to expect this until September. ALWAYS give companies a bit of extra time. This is why I like the way Schiit does it's releases. They tell no one. They release it when it's ready and BOOM, everyone is happy.

I understand generating hype prior to release, but surprise releases are also hype generating

I didn't get the memo, lol. I can wait tho. Doesn't bother me. i love Schiit :D Certainly interesting way to release things.

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #1,152 of 14,386
Thanks all. So I assume sometime in October?

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #1,154 of 14,386
Here is what I learned from the process. The first grill took 50 minutes...the second was ten minutes.

First, use the original grill or pattern of the exact diameter to draw the pattern on the new material. A contrasting color/sharpie helps. 

Second, use tin snips to cut away the large areas of material. Just straight cuts...don't try to follow the circular patter very closely. And Always err on the side of leaving extra material rather than trying to cut too close. It's easy to cut away more material later, but pretty tough to put it back on. 

Next I used a grinder to carefully shape the outside of the new grill going slowly and getting a true circle. On the second grill I made a plastic template, same diameter as the stock grill, and held that piece sandwiched with the new grill and used it to put the finishing touches on the new grill with the grinder. Don't forget to take the burr edge off the new grill as it can be very sharp.

Last, I tried a couple different kind of paints. Krylon semi-gloss worked best. It dries quickly and smooth and the color seem to coordinate with the paint on the cups very well. 

Thanks for giving such good directions on how went about doing this mod sir. It is greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back