Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 31, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #10,696 of 14,386
Hey everyone, long time no see :)

I recieved the ZMF Omni Pads this week and installed them yesterday with the rings harvested from the Velour Pads i also ordered.

Cant say a lot after only one hour listening, but i really like what they so to the bass :)
A lot more Impact and quite a bit more bass overall.
Also i have the Feeling that the stage got a bit bigger, maybe due to the increased distance.

I will have my friend over sometime in the next weeks with his all original 400i to make some comparisons and will update with more Impressions.

But over all i have the feeling it was worth it, even tho i paid roughly 90€ all in all with omni Pads + shipping + Velours.

Oh, and for all that want to try that, the size is nearly perfect to fit the rings, BUT the leather that goes over the inside of the rings is a lot bigger than from the Focus Pads, so they slide under the Parts that Insert Info the mounting rings, see pic:

[ATTACHMENT=3885]IMG_20161230_201123.jpg (1,172k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

This made the mounting process quite hard, but i managed it in the end , some more pics:

[ATTACHMENT=3886]IMG_20161230_202256.jpg (1,992k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=3887]IMG_20161230_203211.jpg (2,011k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #10,697 of 14,386
Hello, 

I just ordered these headphones with Sound Blaster Z sound card from amazon and they notified me today about shipping..

My question is, is my choice in choosing this temporary sound card till I want to get an upgrade and get something better, good?

Did anyone try these headphones with creative sound blaster z and came with a good impression out of it?

Thanks

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #10,698 of 14,386
Interested in purchasing an additional set of Pads to use the Rings for a set of HM5 Pads for my HE-400i.  Could someone please post a link from either the Hifiman Store or Amazon as to which ones I can purchase where the Ring is not Glued to the Pad?  I will not be using the Pads so the cheaper the better.  I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #10,699 of 14,386
  Interested in purchasing an additional set of Pads to use the Rings for a set of HM5 Pads for my HE-400i.  Could someone please post a link from either the Hifiman Store or Amazon as to which ones I can purchase where the Ring is not Glued to the Pad?  I will not be using the Pads so the cheaper the better.  I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/accessories/velour-earpads.html

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #10,700 of 14,386
  Hello, 

I just ordered these headphones with Sound Blaster Z sound card from amazon and they notified me today about shipping..

My question is, is my choice in choosing this temporary sound card till I want to get an upgrade and get something better, good?

Did anyone try these headphones with creative sound blaster z and came with a good impression out of it?

Thanks

Never tried a SB Z card but a cheap Xonar DG works great and the STX a little better.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #10,701 of 14,386
I like my Asgard 2 with the he400i personally. It's a slightly warming sounding amp and with the he400i being just a tad bright, I really like the combo. 

I quite enjoyed my A2/400i combo. The Jot balanced has brought it to a whole new level. So much that I've now got a 560 on the way :)

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #10,702 of 14,386
Never tried a SB Z card but a cheap Xonar DG works great and the STX a little better.

I've tried an STX on the 400i and it wasn't the best pairing. I think the output impedance is higher than most setups.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #10,703 of 14,386
Dec 31, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #10,705 of 14,386

You were right about the HM5 it seems to help  with bass/treble. I'm going to spend some time this weekend listen and I'll come back. Mounting was quiet easy, took me 3-4 minutes, you just have to stretch enough the HM5 before 

p.S: it seems I need to push the volume higher now ?

Good to hear, didn't take me too long either. Shouldn't be pushing volume much higher, perhaps an iota, a small difference.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #10,706 of 14,386
I've tried an STX on the 400i and it wasn't the best pairing. I think the output impedance is higher than most setups.

Do you know where to find the output resistance for the STX?  Been looking but even on the Asus site I couldn't find the info since my friend who bought it from me asked.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #10,707 of 14,386
  Do you know where to find the output resistance for the STX?  Been looking but even on the Asus site I couldn't find the info since my friend who bought it from me asked.

Whether this is right or not, I don't know:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,106361.0.html

"The output impedance of the headphone jack is 10 Ohms"

http://www.stereophile.com/content/asus-xonar-essence-ststx-soundcards-measurements

"the headphone output impedance was 10.7 ohms"

They seem to agree, at least. Also, remember that your HE-400i are planars, with an impedance flat across the frequency range- you won't suffer the same FR skew due to impedance mismatch that dynamic drivers would. I think factors like available current into the resistive load of the headphones and slew rate might have a bearing on how things sound, but don't quote me on that, as I am short on sleep
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #10,708 of 14,386
Just pulled the trigger on the he-400i. The price at 249 was too tempting to pass up. This will be my first pair of open hear headphones. From what I've read in this thread it seems that my ibasso dx90 will be good enough to drive it until I get a better amp down the road.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #10,709 of 14,386

It's 10+ however less of an issue with planars. I still found the pairing doing the 400i not much justice.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #10,710 of 14,386
After having spent most of 2016 with HD650's, I'm really loving the 400i. They sound much more spacious and energetic then the HD650. I really love the relaxing sound signature of the HD650's, but it's nice to experience a more spacious and brighter sound after so long. I love the clarity in the highs and detail in the lows of the he400i, though it does sound a little bass shy to me. It's not lacking bass, and is surprisingly neutral sounding, but I always prefer my music on the warmer side. I love the results of this small boost to the low end on foobars graphic equalizer:

I reckon that these headphones are going to stealing the majority of my time in 2017, they just sound excellent.

Does anyone have any custom cable recommendations? I'm not looking to spend a lot, preferably under $100. I don't particularly like the right angle plug that comes stock
I have a moonaudio blue dragon cable that I really like for my HD650's, but I'm not sure it's worth $250+ it's going to cost me for another one shipped to Canada.

I bought a cheap HD700 replacement cable, but it's a little short and is very cheap looking, so I'm still on the lookout for something better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back